Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KX and K10D flash

oddly enough i now have both bodies. i am now needing an external flash. will a flash be compatible with both?
i looked at some of the threads but don't know what a lot of the info means....some of the words that were foreign include slave..pt-tl or something like that, etc...you get the idea.
spending all my time on the other threads to get caught up on exposure and focusing, i devoted little to researching the flash.

here's what i'd like...
1. external flash that works with both
2. the ability to bounce off a wall or ceiling
3. i read about a diffuser but don't know if the flash comes with one
4. 200-350 bucks

recommendations and links for deals?

i guess i was just getting confused in the threads i was reading when one would say something like...it works as a slave but not a master on the body. i just didn't want to waste the purchase....thanks again

02-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes a flash will be compatible with both. Look at the sticky note on PTTL comparisons to help you choose a flash.

The master/slave references are for using flashes remotely off the body of the camera.
02-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
1. external flash that works with both
This shouldn't be an issue — the two cameras are essentially the same in this regard. One of the Promaster models has issues with the K-7, but I don't think with the K-x.

2. the ability to bounce off a wall or ceiling
Look here:
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Tilt / Swivel Flash Head

and pick any model highlighted in red at the top.

3. i read about a diffuser but don't know if the flash comes with one
Many flashes come with a built-in wide-angle diffuser, but this isn't the same as the "bare-bulb-effect" diffuser that you get with something like the Sto-Fen push-on things. If you ever need to do non-bounced light, that's probably another $16 well-spent. (Even if that's a ridiculous price for a small piece of molded plastic.)

4. 200-350 bucks
In this price range, Metz 48 AF-1 or Sigma EF530DG Super. The good news is that both are closer to your low-end of $200. My personal recommendation is the Metz, but many people like the Sigma too. Going down from there loses a lot of features, and going up to the higher-end Pentax or Metz flashes pushes the price to $400+.