Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #1

A Flash n00b

Ok, so I just got a Metz 48 AF-1 yesterday, and have no idea where to begin. I'm completely new to flash photography and I was wondering if anyone could lead me to some information that might help me learn how to use a flash effectively. I would mainly be using it for portraits, and special event photography (wedding receptions, banquets, etc.)

Also, I've read on here that when using P-TTL, you usually need to set some kind of EV compensation on the flash. I know it's all objective as to what the photographer thinks is a good exposure, but is there any base line I can use to work off of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S., if I should have put this in the Beginner's Corner instead of Techniques and Styles, I apologize. I feel like this thread can fit in either of the two.

02-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
Ok, so I just got a Metz 48 AF-1 yesterday, and have no idea where to begin. I'm completely new to flash photography and I was wondering if anyone could lead me to some information that might help me learn how to use a flash effectively. I would mainly be using it for portraits, and special event photography (wedding receptions, banquets, etc.)

Also, I've read on here that when using P-TTL, you usually need to set some kind of EV compensation on the flash. I know it's all objective as to what the photographer thinks is a good exposure, but is there any base line I can use to work off of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S., if I should have put this in the Beginner's Corner instead of Techniques and Styles, I apologize. I feel like this thread can fit in either of the two.
Fellow flash noob here, too. I was looking for someone to come down from the mountain with a couple stone tablets with x setting for the camera and y setting for the flash carved into them for every possible shooting situation. Unfortunately, no one like that has appeared and it largely seems to be a matter of learning by doing. There are a ton of threads on the forum that address this issue. If you are mathematically inclined, it's a simple numbers game: GN/distance=f stop, but that's only dealing w/ direct flash in manual mode at ISO 100. It may not yield the most aesthetically pleasing photos. It doesn't take into account bouncing or the use of diffusers, never mind fill flash. Some shooters love P-TTL, some hate it; some say it's consistent, others say not. The arguments will make your head spin. My two cents on it (particularly the event shooting) is to get a flash bracket - get the flash off the camera and practice, practice, practice. If you're interested in using P-TTL with the bracket, it necessitates the purchase of Pentax's proprietary off-camera shoe mounts and the accompanying cable. Don't trust the LCD on the back of the camera, either. The histogram you can trust, but not the "playback" (and just because the histogram is a little bunched up on the left, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a "bad' photo).

Short answer <oops, too late for that> shoot your brains out in a variety of lighting conditions and find the settings that appeal to your eye, ingrain them in your brain, and use them when they arise in the field. The usual reference is "Lighting 101" at The Strobist. Someone recently posted a link to these two guys Speedlight Series and I really need to thank them - this is a great place to start; extremely non-threatening, informative, and actually amusing.

Anyhoo, happy shooting and I sincerely hope this was at least a little helpful. It's a slippery slope - I just bought my first umbrella and I'm hoping to get a lighting stand next week.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. Be grateful we don't have the added expense of trying to learn all this stuff shooting film <g>

Last edited by KJon; 02-13-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Add post script
02-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the world of flash! If I had to give you only a one word answer it would be: "Bounce!" you may know this already, but don't waste that nice flash by blasting it right at your subject. Use the environment around you. Have fun, and practice.

This is a thread I started a while ago that might be helpful a bit:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/487...nce-flash.html
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PentaxPoke, thanks for the link to the "bounce" thread; hard to believe the last post in there is a year old, but info is still plenty good and current. Still working my way through the Metz 58 manual. I knew about the additional spot beam, but hadn't quite figured out that it could be used in tandem with the main flash head. After one RTFML, one should RTFML again...and again...and again <g>.

Best,
Kevin

02-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. I've been playing around with the flash, and I'm at least getting used to the features and the (difficult) interface of the unit. A flash bracket will certainly be my next investment.
02-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

light my fire

I (sometimes) use old high-voltage flashes without wireless capability. Were I to put them in the K20D's flash shoe, they would fry the camera's circuits. Ah, but there exist cheap little blocks with photoreceptors, that sit under a flash, and fire it when they detect a flash from elsewhere. So I can put those thriftstore Vivitars and Sunpaks on their own minitripods, aimed dramatically, with actuators under them, and they fire when the camera's onboard flash fires. Sorry, I didn't bring any on this trip so I can't give you any particulars. But if your Metz won't work wirelessly with your camera, and/or you get some cheap thriftstore flashes, these units allow for sophisticated lighting.
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I (sometimes) use old high-voltage flashes without wireless capability. Were I to put them in the K20D's flash shoe, they would fry the camera's circuits. Ah, but there exist cheap little blocks with photoreceptors, that sit under a flash, and fire it when they detect a flash from elsewhere. So I can put those thriftstore Vivitars and Sunpaks on their own minitripods, aimed dramatically, with actuators under them, and they fire when the camera's onboard flash fires. Sorry, I didn't bring any on this trip so I can't give you any particulars. But if your Metz won't work wirelessly with your camera, and/or you get some cheap thriftstore flashes, these units allow for sophisticated lighting.
The wireless seems to work fine, but I was thinking about possibly picking up some of what you're talking about. I have an old flash that my dad got with his ME back in the 80s that I would live to put to use, and I would love to do some small time studio work without having to buy expensive studio strobes. Yes I know studio strobes would yield better results, but if I could get some decent images using regular hot shoe flashes off camera, then that's what I'm gonna do.

02-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
One real quick question. Do I need to add an extra stop when using a diffuser or does the P-TTL system take care of that itself?
02-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would love to do some small time studio work without having to buy expensive studio strobes. Yes I know studio strobes would yield better results, but if I could get some decent images using regular hot shoe flashes off camera, then that's what I'm gonna do.
A strobe is a strobe. A thriftstore Vivitar bounced off a reflector produces the same light as a megabuck studio strobe. [Reflectors: try WalMart windshield protectors, the metalized ones for 3 bucks.] Set up, take some test shots, adjust exposure as needed, and you can be Annie Liebovitz too!

One real quick question. Do I need to add an extra stop when using a diffuser or does the P-TTL system take care of that itself?
One quick answer: Take some test shots and see. Adjust EV as needed. Personally, I've never had to adjust for diffusion, but your results may vary.

Oh yeah, the Ghetto Diffuser: Go to WalMart. Buy or steal a big bottle of antacids, Tums clones. Empty the bottle as needed. Pop-up your onboard flash. Put the Equate Tums bottle atop it, held in place with tape if needed. Fire away. Diffused light varies with orientation of the labels.
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Oh yeah, the Ghetto Diffuser: Go to WalMart. Buy or steal a big bottle of antacids, Tums clones. Empty the bottle as needed. Pop-up your onboard flash. Put the Equate Tums bottle atop it, held in place with tape if needed. Fire away. Diffused light varies with orientation of the labels.
For the onboard flash I already made my own diffuser. I used an old film roll container. People look at me like I'm crazy when I use it, but hey, if it works it works.
02-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a newbie, and having haunted a lot of people here regarding this "new" flash technique, I must admit that the only way is to take LOTS of pics for "testing".
Of course, basics are a must and you will find a lot of answers here.
I have taken at least 300 pics with flash this far ... as a newbie!, and I am happy to report that at least 5 of them are good, and perhaps one is a keeper ...
Lots more to go before I am comfortable with this, so don't give up!

JP
02-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As a newbie, and having haunted a lot of people here regarding this "new" flash technique, I must admit that the only way is to take LOTS of pics for "testing".
Of course, basics are a must and you will find a lot of answers here.
I have taken at least 300 pics with flash this far ... as a newbie!, and I am happy to report that at least 5 of them are good, and perhaps one is a keeper ...
Lots more to go before I am comfortable with this, so don't give up!

JP
It would be so much easier if I could carry around studio lighting with me every where I go. Now that I know how to use fairly well.
02-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For the onboard flash I already made my own diffuser. I used an old film roll container. People look at me like I'm crazy when I use it, but hey, if it works it works.
When the tums bottle is too obtrusive, I use a white infant sock (6 for US$1 at Dollar Tree) slipped over the flash. Not quite as diffuse, but soft light anyway, and very portable. Your film can rig is quite good.