Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

Radio triggers and flash sync speed

So a friend from work is willing to sell me his Vivitar 285 (old, non HV version).
He also knows that I am interested in getting some budget radio triggers so he lent me his Phottix PT-16 set too... just to play around. I am pretty new to photography and absolute noob with flash photography.

I noticed that with max sync speed of 1/180 I get a black bar on the bottom of the frame. Bummer.. read a lot about how we can’t push the shutter past 1/180 and I’m very disappointed that I might be locked to measly 1/125 shutter speed .
Now as a kicker, I do not get rear curtain showing if I use my Pentax 360FGZ in the wireless mode without radio triggers triggering the flash. I can’t test it with my friends Phottix PT-16 as I can’t attach it to my flash. I think I need one of those hot-shoe type of connectors to connect it to the wireless flash, right?

Question; Am I having this issue with slow sync speed because of the radio triggers or because of the flash?

Does anyone with Cactus V4 and Vivitar 285 have any experience with this?

Oh, I am using K20D...

Thank you very much!

02-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's because it's not sync'd properly. Your shutter is closing too fast causing light to cut off from the sensor before it reaches the bottom area. It's a user or camera/flash fault, not the receiver or trigger.
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
replace the battery in the transmitter...
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sash Quote
Question; Am I having this issue with slow sync speed because of the radio triggers or because of the flash?

Does anyone with Cactus V4 and Vivitar 285 have any experience with this?
I have the same setup, actually a collection of (6) 285's and cactus, which I still have but I upgraded to Cybersyncs...

And the thing is, the cactus are very cheap, economically as well as lack of quality.

I dont think the problem is the flashes, because I can use the same flashes with the cybersync at 1/180.

One "trick" you can do with the cactus, is using 1/3 EVs and set the shutter to 1/160, so its a bit faster than 1/125. I never had problems with 1/160 with the cactus, but had the same issue with 1/180.

02-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have that problem with the CTR 301p either controlling a case full of Vivitar 283s. I think that, among the inexpensive triggers, the 301 is the better choice. Of course, I'm sure Cybersincs would be even better, but not so inexpensive.
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Any radio slave sync will introduce certain delay because they needed to "talk" with each other. This delay, when added with the flash sync, the max sync speed will be decreased. Some radio slaves have shorter delay, some longer. For instance, the same Metz 40MZ-3i I have can do 1/160s with Microsync on the DS, but the same flash can do 1/180s with Skyport, which again delays the max sync speed of 40D from 1/250s to 1/200s.
02-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think it's because it's not sync'd properly. Your shutter is closing too fast causing light to cut off from the sensor before it reaches the bottom area. It's a user or camera/flash fault, not the receiver or trigger.

Yeah,.. As I wrote in my message; I know that camera did not sync properly with the flash, and I’m aware that rear curtain is covering the sensor so fast that that portion of the sensor does not get properly exposed with the flash. I am puzzled why my sync speed is lower with radio triggers compared to when I trigger 360FGZ optically.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
replace the battery in the transmitter...
Hmm,.. Might try that.

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I have the same setup, actually a collection of (6) 285's and cactus, which I still have but I upgraded to Cybersyncs...

And the thing is, the cactus are very cheap, economically as well as lack of quality.

I dont think the problem is the flashes, because I can use the same flashes with the cybersync at 1/180.

One "trick" you can do with the cactus, is using 1/3 EVs and set the shutter to 1/160, so its a bit faster than 1/125. I never had problems with 1/160 with the cactus, but had the same issue with 1/180.
Great info! Thanks!.. Cybersync system looks very nice, but it is going to blow my budget!
Sorry, beginners question; how do I get my shutter to 1/160? My shutter goes in these steps: 1/125, 1/180, 1/250,... I don’t think I get 1/160. Are there some sttings I need to do to get that?

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't have that problem with the CTR 301p either controlling a case full of Vivitar 283s. I think that, among the inexpensive triggers, the 301 is the better choice. Of course, I'm sure Cybersincs would be even better, but not so inexpensive.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually now considering CTR 301p system as the receivers have that hot shoe adapter.. so I do not need to mess about with cables. Cool!

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Any radio slave sync will introduce certain delay because they needed to "talk" with each other. This delay, when added with the flash sync, the max sync speed will be decreased. Some radio slaves have shorter delay, some longer. For instance, the same Metz 40MZ-3i I have can do 1/160s with Microsync on the DS, but the same flash can do 1/180s with Skyport, which again delays the max sync speed of 40D from 1/250s to 1/200s.
That’s what I was thinking too,.. feel bad for some Canon/Nikon guys who have to step down to 1/160 or less from possible 1/320 sync speeds they could get with Pocket Wizards.

02-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Jeg har cactus ver.4 og nikon sb 600 og jeg har ingen problemer med 1/180
02-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sash Quote
Sorry, beginners question; how do I get my shutter to 1/160? My shutter goes in these steps: 1/125, 1/180, 1/250,... I don’t think I get 1/160. Are there some sttings I need to do to get that?
You need to go inside the custom menu, and enable 1/3EV steps instead of 1/2EV steps...
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
You need to go inside the custom menu, and enable 1/3EV steps instead of 1/2EV steps...
Thank you very much!
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I use Pocket Wizards, and have no issues with flash sync. I suspect that this might be one of those things that you have to throw a pile of money at to solve.
02-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Let me also add that, while I find the 301s completely acceptable for my use, I am not saying they are perfect. As a result of this thread, I've gone back and looked at the last time I used them extensively (several hundred flashes). This is partly the result of decades of film bodies, I often reflexively set to 1/125 or lower when I sync a manual flash. However, there were quite a few shots at 1/180 as well.

There are a few misses at all speeds. I can't honestly say whether there are more misses due to higher speeds, because the total number of misses due to sync is very low--less than 10 out of around 400 flashes. This was running around a large gym, photographing more than a hundred people with all sorts of obstacles and sources of interference for the transmitters and often exceeding the recommended distance. I still got around 98% success. Perhaps with Pocket Wizards or Cybersyncs, it would have been 100%, so I'm not saying you don't get more when you pay more.