Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Question: FlashWaves as camera trigger

This question is mostly for Peter Zack and Gene's Pentax, who seem to have the most experience with FlashWaves, but I'm grateful to anyone else with this information who wants to chime in!

I have the older version of FlashWaves transmitter/receivers, still 433mhz but no antenna on the transmitter. Nice system. I read with interest about how FlashWaves can be used to trigger the camera wirelessly. I thought this might be particularly useful doing long exposures at night that require one to move around your subject "painting with light", and for other uses as well.

In "BULB" mode, it will trigger the shutter but the only way to stop the exposure is to unplug the PC cord either from the camera or receiver. Is that your experience also?

Also, when using the camera in any other mode and triggering with the FlashWaves, it will not display anything at all on the LCD, neither on the quick review nor on normal playback. Again, if I unplug the cord, then I can playback the images. I know you mentioned triggering the camera this way on a tripod for portrait set-ups. Does your camera function this way also? Oh I should mention I'm using a K20D. Thanks for any comments!
Paul

02-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I experimented with this before with my FlashWaves. You can connect the receiver to the remote release jack of the camera, but it will put the camera into an endless half-shutter-press mode while not triggered. This is true with most wireless flash triggers.

I haven't tried it with the camera in Bulb, so I can't confirm your first question.

- Jason
02-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yea it doesn't seem to interfere with the actual image capture at all, just the playback, a minor inconvenience. Thanks.