Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, I'll mostly be doing Macro work, with the a lens' filter size of 55mm. It sounds like the 8r would be okay for this then--thank you. Of course, I would not rule out use of the ring flash for shooting people indoors, lowlight. But, from what I am learning here, satisfying both of these needs, in one ring flash, may be too much to ask--is that correct guys?

Thanks Dave!
Typically macro ringflashes simply do not have enough output for portrait work. The DX-12R can be used up to 2m distance, as could be some more recent modells. It looks as whether nowadays ringflashes have a higher guide numbrt, than they used to have in the past on average. For portraits, though they can only be used as fill-flash and won't provide the typical ringflash look, which is often used in fashion photography. The macro ringflashs simply have too small a diameter to achieve that and even GN 12 is far too less.

It would perhaps be worth the investment, to buy one of those ringflash attachments for portraits, which slip over an existing hot shoe flash. It needen't be the expensive Rayflash, there are some cheap Chinese knock-offs.

But for macro these things are too big and bulky in my opinion. For instance, I used the DX-12R to follow the breading of our "house" blackbirds, which were nesting in a bush just at the edge of our terrace. With the macro ringflash I could take images through a small opening in the otherwise dense bush. With a hot shoe flash and those ringflash attachments, I would heve needed to cut away a lot of branches and that would have disturbed the birds very much.

Ben

03-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Ben_Edict: Typically macro ringflashes simply do not have enough output for portrait work. The DX-12R can be used up to 2m distance, as could be some more recent modells. It looks as whether nowadays ringflashes have a higher guide numbrt, than they used to have in the past on average. For portraits, though they can only be used as fill-flash and won't provide the typical ringflash look, which is often used in fashion photography. The macro ringflashs simply have too small a diameter to achieve that and even GN 12 is far too less.
Okay, lots of learning for me in this thread--thank you, again. Macro is what I want the ringflash for and I'll stick to that. I am going to buy the 8r, since I do not possess the Saint-like patience of Aloha Dave, who managed to wait for a year to get a 12r.

QuoteQuote:
Ben_Edict: It would perhaps be worth the investment, to buy one of those ringflash attachments for portraits, which slip over an existing hot shoe flash. It needen't be the expensive Rayflash, there are some cheap Chinese knock-offs.
Yes, I bounced into that Ray flash while searching for a 12r, but I did not know there are Chinese knock offs for that too--simply fantastic!

QuoteQuote:
Ben_Edict: But for macro these things are too big and bulky in my opinion. For instance, I used the DX-12R to follow the breading of our "house" blackbirds, which were nesting in a bush just at the edge of our terrace. With the macro ringflash I could take images through a small opening in the otherwise dense bush. With a hot shoe flash and those ringflash attachments, I would heve needed to cut away a lot of branches and that would have disturbed the birds very much.
This is an excellent example to illustrate your point--no one wants the bad karma which must surround disturbing birds trying to raise a family! As usual, I emerge from a Pentax thread, wiser.

Thank you--EVERYBODY!
03-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad I got you thinking. But look, it's almost spring, functionally spring is here in the NW, and every day presents opportunities for shooting flowers.

I tend to shoot closeups more than 1:1 macros and find the ring flash works well.

Just today I was out at a local arboretum playing around with shooting Manual and manually lessening the output of the Sigma. My goal today was to not blast out the light but to be more subtle. There's some trial-and-error (I find that fun) but the camera provides so many types of adjustments that make it somewhat forgiving.

Here are a few from today, all shot with the K20D and the DA 35mm Ltd. macro at ISO 200:

Blue flowers

Birch and leaves

New Growth and Old Leaves

Yellow Evergreen

Yellow Pine

M
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

I am looking at on of those Sunpak DX-8R ring flashes, Unfortunately it's a Canon dedicated unit. Will I be able to use it on my K20d? I know it eill have to be in manual mode but will there be a problem between the contacts of the 2?

Thanks!

George

03-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
I am looking at on of those Sunpak DX-8R ring flashes, Unfortunately it's a Canon dedicated unit. Will I be able to use it on my K20d? I know it eill have to be in manual mode but will there be a problem between the contacts of the 2?
I wouldn't worry about that. Just make sure the trigger voltage is reasonable and it will be OK with your Pentax body. What voltage "reasonable" differs depending who you ask. To me it's 24V.

I am using a DX-8X myself. I do have a Sunpak module for Pentax (PT-2D I believe) but originally my DX-8R (bought used) had a module for Nikon and a module for Olympus. I used either module on my K10D and K7 bodies without any problem. I did measure the trigger voltage on my DX-8R. As I remember, it is somewhere around 7V.

Auto mode on the DX-8R works fine. Just make sure there is nothing blocking the light sensor on the module.

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-09-2010 at 12:48 PM.
03-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Here is my Sunpak DX-8R ringflash. Note that the module is for Ricoh (only a few $ used from B&H):

The "native" thread on the Sunpak flash unit is 52mm. It comes with adapter rings for other filter thread sizes (58mm and 62mm IIRC). Having to carry multiple adapter rings is not fun, and install/remove the flash from the lens is clumsy.

I use a Raynox Universal Adapter to make life easier.

I epoxied a 67-58mm step-down adapter ring to the Raynox adapter, then use a 58-52mm step-down adapter ring to attach the ringflash to the Raynox adapter. You can use a single 67-52mm step-down adapter, but then the Raynox adapter will not have enough clearance to accommodate the Raynox lens.

Fully assembled, the flash unit looks like this:

Now I can instantly install/remove the flash unit to/from the lens. If I don't want the no-shadow image typical of a ringflash, I can remove the flash-unit from the lens and hand-hold it to the side.

Note: The Raynox Universal Adapter is available as a replacement item. I bought mine from B&H (about $6 + shipping).
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the info & pix! So are you using the Raynox adapter because you use an Raynox closeup lens or do you just use it for the quick spring on & off of your regular lens? Which universal adapter did you use, the one for the CM-2000?

Thanks again!

George

03-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
... are you using the Raynox adapter because you use an Raynox closeup lens or do you just use it for the quick spring on & off of your regular lens? Which universal adapter did you use, the one for the CM-2000?
I use the Raynox adapter (yes, the one for the CM-2000) for the quick release feature. In fact, with the ringlight attached to the Raynox adapter, the adapter can no longer accommodate the Raynox lens. The 58-52mm adapter is in the way.

I did the same thing for my other ringlight as well (Soligor AR-20). This one uses Series VII adapter. For this one, the Raynox adapter can carry both the ringlight and the Raynox lens. See this thread.
03-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I am addressing this to the owners of the DX-8R: How big is the ring opening? All of the sales blurb about DX-8R describe DX-12R's capabilities more than it's own. I would like to attach the ring flash to all of my macro lenses ranging from 55mm to 67mm diameter lens opening. I see a few DX-8Rs on the open market but no 12Rs.

Thanks,
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
How big is the ring opening?
(Don't have the DX-8R with me right at this moment)

The ring flash, without any adapter, can be attached to a lens of 52mm filter thread so I guess the opening is about 52mm, +/- a few mm.

I use the DX-8R with my Tamron 90mm and Sigma 50mm, both have 55mm filter thread, without any problem.

In fact, I attached the DX-8R ring flash to a Raynox Universal Adapter, which has the opening of 43mm, and use it with the two lenses above mentioned without any problem.
03-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I am addressing this to the owners of the DX-8R: How big is the ring opening? All of the sales blurb about DX-8R describe DX-12R's capabilities more than it's own. I would like to attach the ring flash to all of my macro lenses ranging from 55mm to 67mm diameter lens opening. I see a few DX-8Rs on the open market but no 12Rs.

Thanks,
I just measured mine, and the rear of the opening is 1 15/16 inches, or about 49.2mm.

When I put my 8R in front of my 16-45, it vignettes pretty significantly the wider you go.

This was at 16mm:

The 12R has a significantly larger opening, and the connection method is different, there are two different sized adapter rings that you can attach step up/down rings as needed to attach to your lens.
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

another option would be to use just a normal flash off-body. The extra setup could be cumbersome but you would be able to use directional light.

I'm very new to macro but here is what I was able to do with a reversing ring, an old Pentax flash and a remote trigger (for macro you would be ok to use a bracket and just hookup with the pc sync port or something like that)

Just a suggestion, I know ring flashes are very expensive but if cost is no problem it may be the best for you.

ps. the cheap remote triggers I got from ebay have never failed me plus old strobes are cheap =)
03-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
another option would be to use just a normal flash off-body. The extra setup could be cumbersome but you would be able to use directional light.

I'm very new to macro but here is what I was able to do with a reversing ring, an old Pentax flash and a remote trigger (for macro you would be ok to use a bracket and just hookup with the pc sync port or something like that)

Just a suggestion, I know ring flashes are very expensive but if cost is no problem it may be the best for you.

ps. the cheap remote triggers I got from ebay have never failed me plus old strobes are cheap =)
Thanks for your input - I like your shot very much. I've thought about your set up but as you say, it is cumbersome. In a controlled environment, you could let the creative juice flow and try bounce, fill and slave flash techniques. I am thinking of using the ring flash in an arboretum or public places.

Believe me, the costs do matter, hence my efforts to find an older alternative to the modern p-ttl ring lights.

Thanks,
03-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking for Paffrath & Kemper, I bought one and it works fine with the K-7. There's currently one available.
03-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for your replies, Soldbear and Alohadave.

Soldbear, do you not have problems with vignetting, as so amply as demonstrated by Alohabear? Maybe the cropped sensor size fall well-within the image area of a 35mm SLR macro lens to make vignetting a none issue? I am not seeing any of your Flickr pictures, so I can't imagine what Raynox adapter looks like - could it be something like the Cokin Rings attaching to the filter holder?

Alohadave, you also own the 12R - can you tell me what the ring opening size is for the 12R?

Thanks,