Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ringflash Suggestion

For my Tamron 90mm lens, I'm looking to get a ring flash. Anyone here have some good suggestions? Thanks.

02-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. Pentax ring flash at ~$500

2. Sigma Electronic Flash Macro EM-140 DG at ~$400

3. Alternate models that fake it by channeling light from your popup flash or a standard hotshoe-mounted strobe at ~$65-150.

Which one depends on your macro shooting skills, your standards, and your budget. If you are just learning how to photograph closeups, and are uncertain whether you'll get into it, then go cheap and grow with your capabilities.

This would also apply if you are not all that proficient with flash shooting in general.

I'm comfy with both closeup shooting and strobes; I chose the Sigma. I got it new from a vendor on the big auction site for $245, but I think he's out of stock. Anyway, it's a great flash, lots of PTTL and manual controls, well-built, easy to pop on and off lenses, and just a lot of fun. I really like the flat, full light. It's especially fun if you relish in post processing.

I've used it for beyond closeups with the DA 21mm Ltd.

I just don't know if the fake-out ring flash gizmos can blast out that much light, but if they can, then they may be a low-risk try.

HTH

M
02-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Miguel:

Thanks for the post--lots of good information here, particularly the idea of picking up the Sigma, discounted, at the "big auction site." By this, do you mean Ebay? Even though the vendor from who you obtained a flash is out, there may be others.

I have been shooting macro for a while, and often meet with conditions which demand the ring flash--me needs are well suited to buy one which is proven--I saw one of those $60 ones at Ebay, but the seller seems to know little about it.

BTW, what is that a picture of?
02-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use an older Sunpak ringflash, with a dedicated hotshoe for the old Pentax TTL (not P-TTL). It has a lot of maual power settings and that is all, that I need. P-TTL would save me perhaps two or three test shots, but otherwise the Sunpak is a very good choice, as it fits even larger lenses (filter thread adapters up the 67mm are supplied and larger ones were available). It is around 70 or 100 bucks (the 12R modell) and should come in a nice complete package, with carrying case. It has modelling lights, which was another decisive factor for me, when I bought it many years ago, because it makes focusing in macro mode much easier, if you actually see, what you aim at…

Ben

02-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I use an older Sunpak ringflash, with a dedicated hotshoe for the old Pentax TTL (not P-TTL). It has a lot of maual power settings and that is all, that I need. P-TTL would save me perhaps two or three test shots, but otherwise the Sunpak is a very good choice, as it fits even larger lenses (filter thread adapters up the 67mm are supplied and larger ones were available). It is around 70 or 100 bucks (the 12R modell) and should come in a nice complete package, with carrying case. It has modelling lights, which was another decisive factor for me, when I bought it many years ago, because it makes focusing in macro mode much easier, if you actually see, what you aim at…

Ben
Bingo! I'm off to find the Sunpak--12r model. Ben, as always, thank you for all the wisdom you freely disperse here to all we lucky forum members.

02-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
D W
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Sunpak.

The largest Sunpak OEM filter ring is 77mm. Ben's method for exposure is the same one I use. Most macro subjects are use to standing still and will not get agitated with test exposures. When I saw it for the first time with the modelling/focus lamp it sold me. The other feature was it was the most powerful TTL ringflash.

The full search number for North America and Asia is DX-12R. Sunpak uses different model number in different regions.
02-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Another vote for the Sunpak.

The largest Sunpak OEM filter ring is 77mm. Ben's method for exposure is the same one I use. Most macro subjects are use to standing still and will not get agitated with test exposures. When I saw it for the first time with the modelling/focus lamp it sold me. The other feature was it was the most powerful TTL ringflash.

The full search number for North America and Asia is DX-12R. Sunpak uses different model number in different regions.
When it was new, it was indeed the most powerful macro ringflash available, except for some exotic, hard to find modells (or do you know Paffrath &Kemper?). And the modelling light (rela light, not a flicker of fast flashes) is really useful. I used it with the LX and PZ-1p in TTL mode and it worked perfectly. But the manual settings on a DSLR with the instant preview are just as convenient. Unfortunately I never got the 77mm adapter ring. Looks like I have to turn my own substitute on the lathe...

Ben

02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
DW: The full search number for North America and Asia is DX-12R. Sunpak uses different model number in different regions.
Aha, the other night I couldn't find one--this must be why--thanks DW. Okay, off to find one DX-12R.
02-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Aha, the other night I couldn't find one--this must be why--thanks DW. Okay, off to find one DX-12R.

Well, I also think, it is quite rare on ebay. I have seen a couple of them spread over several months. I think, people who got one keep it. Sunpak changed the name to "Dmacro" later, but that is also discontinued, according to their website (SUNPAK??????).

Ben
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Well, I also think, it is quite rare on ebay. I have seen a couple of them spread over several months. I think, people who got one keep it. Sunpak changed the name to "Dmacro" later, but that is also discontinued, according to their website (SUNPAK??????).

Ben
Yes, the 12R is pretty rare. I managed to snag one last month after looking for over a year.

The 8R is quite a bit more common and much more reasonable in cost.

The 16R shows up from time to time, but it runs about $400ish.
02-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Ben_Edict: Well, I also think, it is quite rare on ebay. I have seen a couple of them spread over several months. I think, people who got one keep it. Sunpak changed the name to "Dmacro" later, but that is also discontinued, according to their website (SUNPAK??????).

Ben
Yes, it is hard to find on Ebay, hard to find all over the place actually. I will find one though--good things take time.

QuoteQuote:
Aloha Dave: Yes, the 12R is pretty rare. I managed to snag one last month after looking for over a year.

The 8R is quite a bit more common and much more reasonable in cost.

The 16R shows up from time to time, but it runs about $400ish.
Thanks Dave. Yes, the 8r, though not as powerful as the 12r, is available to be bought, brand new for about $150. Also, the Dmacro can be bought brand new too, for about $270. I am just trying to learn enough about them and my needs, to decide which is best for me.

Anyone care to offer their advice here?
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, the Sigma has modeling light capabilities. You can also choose to illuminate only one side of the ring or the other. You can also shoot purely manually and adjust the output in 1/64th increments. HSS is supported as well as exposure comp @ -3 ~ +1, wireless, and multi flash.

The Sunpak sounds like an excellent flash that I was ignorant about when I did my research 6 months ago. Whether you seek one out for an extended and uncertain time period is really a personal matter. I will say this, now that I'm figuring out how to use this thing, I regret not having a ring flash years ago. Not only is it fun, but it has allowed me to get many more shots in dreary lighting situations over a period of time (I live in the northwest where it's grey 4-5 months out of the year). For me that has value way beyond a matter of plus or minus a hundred bucks.

M
02-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, it is hard to find on Ebay, hard to find all over the place actually. I will find one though--good things take time.

Thanks Dave. Yes, the 8r, though not as powerful as the 12r, is available to be bought, brand new for about $150. Also, the Dmacro can be bought brand new too, for about $270. I am just trying to learn enough about them and my needs, to decide which is best for me.

Anyone care to offer their advice here?
If you are doing macro work, the 8R is probably sufficient for most of your needs. It's maybe almost too bright for close up macro work. For portrature/people type shots, then the 12R may be preferable.

The limiting factor is the size of the ring opening. Any thing larger than about 58mm is going to have a problem with vignetting. The 12R has a larger opening, but the attachment method is slightly different, and mine didn't come with all the rings.
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Miguel: Well, the Sigma has modeling light capabilities. You can also choose to illuminate only one side of the ring or the other. You can also shoot purely manually and adjust the output in 1/64th increments. HSS is supported as well as exposure comp @ -3 ~ +1, wireless, and multi flash.

The Sunpak sounds like an excellent flash that I was ignorant about when I did my research 6 months ago. Whether you seek one out for an extended and uncertain time period is really a personal matter. I will say this, now that I'm figuring out how to use this thing, I regret not having a ring flash years ago. Not only is it fun, but it has allowed me to get many more shots in dreary lighting situations over a period of time (I live in the northwest where it's grey 4-5 months out of the year). For me that has value way beyond a matter of plus or minus a hundred bucks.

M
M, you raise a lot of good points, ones which have implications for my situation as well. I mostly want it for Macro use, which I do a lot with, but I'm sure it would have lots of utility in my other shoots too. I am not merely trying to save a buck, or even a hundred--just trying to most economically address my needs. Too often, in years past, I spent big time on things, only to learn, retrospectively, it was a waste of money. Now, I try to learn pro-actively, rather than reactively--easier on the budget. Towards these ends, I am ever so grateful for the time people here, at this great forum. take to help me out. this is such a great resource--Thank You!
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Aloha Dave: If you are doing macro work, the 8R is probably sufficient for most of your needs. It's maybe almost too bright for close up macro work. For portrature/people type shots, then the 12R may be preferable.

The limiting factor is the size of the ring opening. Any thing larger than about 58mm is going to have a problem with vignetting. The 12R has a larger opening, but the attachment method is slightly different, and mine didn't come with all the rings
Yes, I'll mostly be doing Macro work, with the a lens' filter size of 55mm. It sounds like the 8r would be okay for this then--thank you. Of course, I would not rule out use of the ring flash for shooting people indoors, lowlight. But, from what I am learning here, satisfying both of these needs, in one ring flash, may be too much to ask--is that correct guys?

Thanks Dave!