Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash Brackets???

This is not so much a question of what flash bracket is good. It's more a question of are flash brackets useful in your experience? If possible, please give examples of your own experiences with these things. Also, have you tried them with other modifiers like one of the Gary Fong products, Omni Bounce, bounce cards, mini-softboxes, etc? Thank you.

02-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used one for a while (would have to dig it up to find which brand/style I was using). I found them a bit cumbersome, especially with a grip. But the results were great. I have found just using a good diffuser (I use the Fong Lightsphere) gets just as good results. Though I wish the Fong Universal was a bit of a better fit on my Metz Flash.
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use an old Vivitar bracket because the cold shoe on it rotates 360 degrees, which makes bounce flash in portrait orientation possible with flashes that have non rotating heads. I looked at flip brackets a few times before picking up the Vivitar but decided that I was unlikely to haul around something that bulky for occasional use.
02-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a copy of the VH2000 Stroboflip Flash Rotator but never like it:

It's clumsy to store in a camera bag. In use, I feel like that flash is about to flip around (it doesn't, but feel like it). It does not have a quick release so I can't remove the flash easily to direct the bouncing of the light.

Then I happened to have a broken Sunpak 522 handle-mount flash. I chopped off the head and flipped the handle over. At the bottom (now top) of the handle is a threaded hole for tripot mount. I installed a flash bracket adapter.

It's light-weight, easy to store. With the quick release clamp, I can remove/attach the flash from/to the bracket in an instance.

The photo shows the flash on the left, but it can go on either side of the camera body. When I use the camera in the vertical position, I have to make sure the flash is above. It is sometimes a bit clumsy, but I manage.

Edit to add
: Bracket or no bracket, I always use external flash with my cheap diffusers.

02-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use a Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket for weddings and events.

It works great for keeping the flash above the camera, whether in landscape or portrait orientation. It's also useful to have something else besides the camera to hold onto. On mine, there is a handle on the left, so I can hold the bracket with my left hand, and take some of the pressure off my right hand. Think like when you see old movies with Speed Graphix cameras or a 6x7 with the wood handle.

I use a DIY diffuser on the flash, and I either bounce or use direct flash depending on the room.
02-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm interested in the question too. I got a couple of fancy stroboframe Pro-RL brackets with a bundle of other equipment. I sold one, but kept one in case I might find a use for it. But frankly, I've never even tried it.

It'd be nice to have some comparison photos of flash on camera, bounced on camera, on bracket in different positions, etc. Although I suppose I could get off my lazy butt and do that myself.
02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Basically... Sometimes.

I suppose it depends what use or benefit you have in mind. (It's been a while since I did a whole lot of work with serious flash, but I've used a number of different things, often someone else's stuff I was using for the occasion. Which isn't a bad way to find out what's useful to you, if you know someone with some things.

Failing that, you could try something relatively-inexpensive to you and observe your own reactions: it probably won't be just right, but it might give you some clues what *would* be.

Often, I find such things to be in the category of a 'necessary encumbrance,' mostly a matter of holding the rig up.

One of my favorite things to do is actually to shoot free-hand with the flash on a coiley cord, (This obviously works best with a tripod or a camera that you can actually handle well with one hand. (This does not add up to very many cameras for me, these days, but K-Xes are small. ) Kind of a natural combination with autofocus, really, but I never had that. ) That way, you can put the flash anywhere you can reach. (For this reason, that cord rarely leaves my old 285, even if I'm shooting with the flash on camera. )

Stroboframes are kind of the old standard, ..tend to be pretty heavy and bulky, (I suppose they're named 'frames' for a reason, ) but they work well in general. (edit: Actually, the one Jason mentions looks pretty good.

(Now that Ari mentions it, I see a fair number of those Lightspheres around, considering, ...can't recall seeing anyone troubling to add a bracket to one of those. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-25-2010 at 10:27 AM.
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, a flash bracket is important if you are regularly using a small strobe. The flexibility of being able to provide lighting from away from the camera helps significantly. You can add depth to the subject, work around some obstructions, and avoid the "mugshot" look.

Though you didn't ask, I'll recommend the Joe Demb bracket. Much lighter and smaller than the old style and somewhat cumbersome brackets. You can slip it into your bag easily. And it changes orientation in a second. It fits just fine with my K20D and grip.

I almost always use this with a flash diffuser and reflector. Again check Joe Demb's site. His diffusers are far more convenient than the tupperware style products which seem to require their own extra bag.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Joe Demb, but have talked with him over the phone cordially. Joe personally answers email.

M
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote

Though you didn't ask, I'll recommend the Joe Demb bracket. Much lighter and smaller than the old style and somewhat cumbersome brackets. You can slip it into your bag easily. And it changes orientation in a second. It fits just fine with my K20D and grip.

M
Well that's going in my bag! Very cool - lightweight and works with a grip. Thank you for the recommendation!
02-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Primarily to avoid "red-eye" BUT that's a film set up; now with digital, software takes care of that. Now a bracket is useful if you want the flash to remain at the top position while the camera rotates from horizontal to vertical hence there's usually a collection of brackets from people who have been shooting awhile.
02-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Often, I find such things to be in the category of a 'necessary encumbrance,' mostly a matter of holding the rig up.
Try using a monopod with your frame. It helps take a lot weight off your hands.
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Try using a monopod with your frame. It helps take a lot weight off your hands.
I dunno, I'm kind of liking this light little Demb one we're seeing, now. For *me,* that actually looks like just about all I'd need, presently. I'm usually very spare with my use of flash, I like the old school bounce cards, and seem to have a way of liking flash units that don't happen to come with a swivel. This is better in many ways, cause swivels don't help much with bounce cards and verticals.

The mounting plate could probably do with a bit more engineering to it, (why is that block not grooved for an Arca mount or something? I wonder if it's of a size I could grind out, myself. )

I think a bracket *and* monopod would likely be just even more cumbersome. My Mamiya actually has his own bracket with a trigger that just needs a head of some kind to go on there, but I don't think I'll be doing whole weddings like that anymore, now that I have credible digital. Assuming I'm up to weddings at all.
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, a friend tried a Demb and didn't like that it'd flop over by itself occasionally. He went back to his stroboframe...
02-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the tension gets too loose, it is a simple matter of tightening the locking bolt. I've used the bracket for the past two years without problems, taking over 15,000 pictures at corporate events.

M
02-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the CB Junior for a # of years but found it too off balance and cumbersome to use. It can be a problem with the rather compact Pentax bodies. I also had the original GF LSII which worked in some very specific situations with nice results. But it actually warms up the WB a little and is totally useless if not bounced. It also made the flash top heavy and won't stay on. Now I just stick a piece of craft foam on the flash and bounce. The results are a little harsher than LSII but many times easier to carry.