Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
need pocket wizards for Metz 58?

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I just want to double check before I order anything....

I am thinking about getting a Metz 58 and while I'm at it, maybe ordering a light stand and umbrella so I can mess around with off camera flash. I can just trigger the Metz 58 wirelessly from my k20d, without the need to buy radio triggers.....correct?

03-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kewpie-o Quote
I can just trigger the Metz 58 wirelessly from my k20d, without the need to buy radio triggers.....correct?
Yes.

Thank you
Russell
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Russell,

If I'm firing the flash through the umbrella at the side of the subject, the flash may not be in the direct line of the flash of the camera nor of the light falling upon the subject.

Will the Metz fire in this case?
03-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Russell,

If I'm firing the flash through the umbrella at the side of the subject, the flash may not be in the direct line of the flash of the camera nor of the light falling upon the subject.

It depends on how dark it is and how far it is. I don't have the Metz flash but I had the Sigma. If there is a lot of light, it may not be enough to trigger it or if it is too far.

Personally I would buy a radio trigger. I would not waste your money on PW either since they don't work in P-ttl. Its a waste of money to spend that much and still have to use it in manual while there are other brands out there that will do the same thing for half the cost. Like Alien Bee's CyberSync or Radio Popper's JXR, or even the ebay stuff if you want to just play around.

03-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Russell,

edit: I didn't think this through. I don't use wireless P-TTL with that type of set up. I think it would be better to go with a Pentax flash that has a wireless manual mode if you can resolve the line of sight issue, or the better option, to move to radio triggers with the Metz or Pentax flashes as suggested above.

For the line of sight issue, wireless P-TTL is using IR so some penetration is possible. A shoot through umbrella might not be an issue if the range was short and the background IR was low. Reflection works, but again is distance limited. The answer is, it depends.

I'm mostly using wireless P-TTL for on the go shooting, and small object work where I'm looking for even light. It just seems that if you are going to go to the trouble to craft your light, that you would want more control than what is possible with P-TTL, wireless or not. Maybe I'm wrong and it is perfectly possible to use P-TTL to get the results you want. I just have been using manual flashes for this, so your question is over my experience level.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 03-03-2010 at 03:51 AM.
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lots of good info here - thanks!

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the Metz 58, but decided I would probably have to wait until later to get a stand/umbrella, and possibly some radiopoppers if I find the whole line of sight thing to be an issue. I am such a newbie w/ flash photography anyway....it's probably good that I get acquainted w/ the ins and outs of the flash mounted on my camera before I start messing around w/ off-camera flash. But all of this info is good to know for when I do get more gear!

Now off to start reading the metz 58 manual....
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Kewpie-o: you might be able to save some money with the Cybersync triggers. I enjoy mine. also if you plan on mostly off camera flash, consider some of the older nikon flashes SB 24-28. I have the Metz 48 which I like but in retrospect I would have saved the money as I don't use it on camera anyway. I don't know about the Metz 58, but my 48 doesn't have a pc port which you need to hook up all of the radio triggers. If the 58 doesn't, there is a simple adapter you can buy that connects to the hot shoe mount.