Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need advice on buying an external flash

Im new to external flashes so i basically dont know anything or use an external flash before and need some advice. I was thinking of getting the AF-540 but i saw the reviews at amazon is very low so i need a 2nd opinion. Im also afraid that the AF540 will be too advance for me to handle.
Should i be getting something like a AF360 or Metz48 as a beginner..
I would also like to know what flashes do you use and why?
Thanks

Last edited by rustynail925; 03-07-2010 at 09:06 PM.
03-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a great summary put together by a forum member. It helped me decide on the Metz 48 to fill all my requirements. Just make sure you know what your requirements are. They all flash.

http://pttl.mattdm.org/
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im new to external flashes so i basically dont know anything or use an external flash before and need some advice. I was thinking of getting the AF-540 but i saw the reviews at amazon is very low so i need a 2nd opinion. Im also afraid that the AF540 will be too advance for me to handle.
Should i be getting something like a AF360 or Metz48 as a beginner
Forget about your beginner status. I don't know why people feel they need to limit options just because they are a beginner at something. Take the flash out of the box, put batteries in it, clip it on to the hot shoe, turn the flash on, as well as the camera , and go. As you decide you want to use the extra features, learn how to. It ain't rocket science. The more you limit yourself up front, the more frustrated you'll be in the end.

Without reading the user opinions on Amazon, I can tell you that I've been using the 540 for over 3 years now and am quite happy with it. That said, Were I to do it right now, I think I would choose the Metz 58 over the 540 because it has a couple extra features that I would like to have on a shoe mounted flash.

03-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read the AF540 Notable Drawbacks: Forgets settings on power-save.
Is it a major flaw?

03-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also should i get a flash diffuser to go along with it like the Sto-Fen OMNI-BOUNCE OM-MZ40 - Flash diffuser
03-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I read the AF540 Notable Drawbacks: Forgets settings on power-save.
Is it a major flaw?
It might be a nuisance but I don't know if I'd call it a flaw. It, I guess would be nice if it had some sort of keep alive memory to store the last settings. If using it in auto mode, I find that Aperture and ISO are where I left them after powering back up. In manual mode, the power setting 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc have reset to 1/1 when repowering (both with the on/off and power save). Really, What else is there? that is, other than having to press the Mode button to get back to where you were. Nuisance, maybe, flaw, I don't think so. Not for me anyway.

I know that what is important to me, is there when I turn it back on. That's the Wireless channel. Otherwise, everything is controlled from the camera (ev comp, etc). I'm sure other people have different uses for the flash and use it differently than I do. I bought the 540 over the 360 because it has more power and it has a swivel head. The latter has turned out to be relatively unimportant to me or at least not as much as I thought it would be.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, and I understand $400 is a huge investment for a flash. What I'm saying in referring to the reviews is that you can read 1000s of them online. You can read until your eyes bleed and your head spins and you'll be no further informed than when you started. You can find people who hate whatever you're looking for and others that will bet their lives on the reliability. You'll find others expecting the unit (whatever it is) to turn into Moses and part the Red Sea for them. The only thing in common is that they are all talking about the same unit. Take them with a grain and read between the lines.

I'll expand what I said before. Buy the best most feature rich device you can. It makes zero difference to me which brand you choose by the way. You won't always be a beginner and the features you give up on your initial purchase, will be the ones you find yourself wanting later.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Edit: I use a Stofen on mine. I like the way it softens the light for portrait type photos. Works nicely when aiming the flash upward at 45 degrees or so. Don't remember exactly which StoFen I bought. Whatever was spec'd as working with the 540.

03-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #7

Advice on non-brand flash

Hello everyone,

I have joined the forum today although I have been reading a lot of the great discussions over the last few months. I have bought a third party (Rokinon) flash. However, It does not seem to fire on my K-m (K 2000). The ready.test light comes on and the flash powers up but does not light up. I tried with my K 55mm 1.8 in manual mode and also the DA 18-55mm in Aperture priority/auto/Program mode. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shakman25 Quote
Hello everyone,

I have joined the forum today although I have been reading a lot of the great discussions over the last few months. I have bought a third party (Rokinon) flash. However, It does not seem to fire on my K-m (K 2000). The ready.test light comes on and the flash powers up but does not light up. I tried with my K 55mm 1.8 in manual mode and also the DA 18-55mm in Aperture priority/auto/Program mode. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
The flash should fire regardless of the lens. Does the flash fire if you press the test button (usually the same as the ready light)? If so, the shoe on the flash may be defective or worse yet, the shoe on your Km. If not then the flash tube may be gone or defective. If it's a new flash, you may want to return it.

03-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shakman25 Quote
Hello everyone,

Did you ever have a flash on there before? Your setup may be configured for flash off, which would still be the case in Manual.
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks Ira and Jeff, I think the flash is faulty and will return it. I also got an FA 50mm 1.4 yesterday, can't wait to use it.