Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Radio controlled flash sync

Is there a trustworthy radio (Wi-Fi?) triggering system that works on Pentax DSLR's and the AF 540. And eventually with other flashes?

03-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never seen any wi-fi one before but there are many radio one out there.
The cheapest most reliable one is the ebay one model RF-602. You can get a set for about $30 shipped. For some reason when you use it on the pentax it only sync at 1/100 sec as reported by many Pentax user. I never used them myself personally and I don't know if that issue got fixed or not.
The unit that I am using is the CyberSync by Alien Bee. It sync at 1/180 sec all day without any problem. They are a little bit more expensive, about $90 for the transmitter and about $70 for the receiver. They are a little bit more hassle because you need to buy an hotshoe adapter and use pc sync wires as well.
03-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I can use them at 1/180, but in order to do that you'll either need to half-press the button on the transmitter or order the Nikon set. This has to do with the layout of the hot-shoe and the data signal.
03-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Im using some ebay triggers marked 'ishoot'. Im not sure about model numbers etc as they arnt labeled. they synch fine up to 180. They also have hot shoe and pc connections. Im not sure of the price but it was about £20 shipped from the far east! bargain.

Im very happy with them and would recommend them.

03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Note that while there are now radio solutions for i-TTL and eTTL, there are none for Pentax P-TTL - you will lose TTL functionality with any radio trigger.
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And the Radiopopper PX definitely do *not* work w/ P-TTL.

The Radiopopper JrX is reliable to 1/180. I consider them inexpensive for what they do (remote control over Nikon flashes and Alien Bee strobes. I had the "V2s" and and RF602 fleabay triggers and am happy I switched :-)
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chicomarks Quote
Im using some ebay triggers marked 'ishoot'. Im not sure about model numbers etc as they arnt labeled. they synch fine up to 180. They also have hot shoe and pc connections. Im not sure of the price but it was about £20 shipped from the far east! bargain.

Im very happy with them and would recommend them.
I'm really intrigued by these units. Are you saying that you do not need any wires for this setup? That you can mount these directly onto the camera and flashes using the hot shoe and they will fire? Like the Flashwaves system?

edit: just saw a thread "review" from last year on these units that was an advert from the seller. Regardless I'm still intrigued by these units. Looks like a cheap wireless setup for someone like myself looking to try some strobist stuff

Last edited by MrApollinax; 03-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.