Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Dubious doesn't want to use the on-board flash to trigger the external flashes, which are in "dumb" slave mode (not all of his external flashes are Pentax-dedicated that support "smart" wireless flash).

- If he uses the on-board flash as a "smart" controller, it will emit a preflash strobe in an attempt to communicate with the "smart" slave flashes. This will trigger the "dumb" slaves before, not during exposure.

- One way to trick the on-board flash to emit only the main strobe is to use a manual lens. But in this case, the on-board flash will fire at full power, thus contributes significantly to the exposure (unless Dubious somehow block the light from the on-board flash).
Got it, and I was under the assumption that all of the off-camera flashes being used were Pentax-compatible.

I've seen a Nikonian buddy run into the same issue with studio lights which had had built-in optical slaves, which were being triggered during prior to main flash.

He ended up using Cactus 4s for his setup.