Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wish list for Pentax flashes

Now that I am slowly getting into flash photography, I've come up with these would-have-been-nice-to-have list...
  • wish they didn't auto shut-off
  • wish they retained their settings on power-off
  • wish there were upgradable through firmware
  • wish they were slightly better built, especially battery compartments
  • wish there were more than one option for external battery power source
  • wish Pentax introduced a 540T line of flash

04-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am so with you on the power off settings and more external power sources!!!! Yeesh - Canon and Nikon has TONS of cheap off camera power options!
04-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

• Wish the flash took the ISO and the aperture settings from the camera even not in p-TTL mode.
  • Wish in p-TTL mode, the AE-L button fired the preflash strobe and the metering data were locked.
  • Wish the tilt/swivel action of the head were more "stiff."
04-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Now that I am slowly getting into flash photography, I've come up with these would-have-been-nice-to-have list...
  • wish they didn't auto shut-off
  • wish they retained their settings on power-off
  • wish there were upgradable through firmware
  • wish they were slightly better built, especially battery compartments
  • wish there were more than one option for external battery power source
  • wish Pentax introduced a 540T line of flash
A simple switch to toggle with the auto shut-off and remain on would have been nice.
It didn't have to have this feature always.
I wish third party flash makers would ust make a more affordable and comparable flash as with the Pentax..I can live with that..even if just made on China.

04-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Weather seal them.
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Weather seal them.
+1

Also, either allow disabling of the onboard AF assist in favor of the K-7's assist or install a larger version of the K-7's assist lamp in both the 540 and 360's successors. Perhaps one with a variable brightness since I know LED lamps can be too bright.
04-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weather seal them.
+2.

Yes, with a weather-seal camera, one will need a shower-proofed flash too.

My wish is that the tilt/swivel of the head is stiffer.

Cheers.
04-14-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Another thing I was going to put in was taking a hint from Sony and allowing the head to not only tilt and swivel, but to also shift 90 degrees from the camera orientation. But is that something that is really useful, or just a gimmick?

04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wish they would re-introduce the AF280T and the AF200T. Perhaps bump up the power to 40 and 28, respectively. Weather sealing would be a good idea, but not entirely necessary. I believe there is still a market out there for such simple yet versatile units. I don't care for units that have/require LCD readouts and require me to go into a bunch of push-button menus to make settings on them. The simple slide switches of yore were easy to use and easy to understand. They're just devices for putting out a measured amount of light; how complicated do they really need to be?
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

I wish the head didnt flop around.
I wish it charged faster.
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I wish third party flash makers would ust make a more affordable and comparable flash as with the Pentax..I can live with that..even if just made on China.
What about Metz flashes? Too expensive? I say it's a great alternative.
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Wish they would re-introduce the AF280T and the AF200T. Perhaps bump up the power to 40 and 28, respectively. Weather sealing would be a good idea, but not entirely necessary. I believe there is still a market out there for such simple yet versatile units. I don't care for units that have/require LCD readouts and require me to go into a bunch of push-button menus to make settings on them. The simple slide switches of yore were easy to use and easy to understand. They're just devices for putting out a measured amount of light; how complicated do they really need to be?
I can definitely agree with the sentiment. I like a good old-fashioned calculator dial, myself, particularly cause I can mess up pretty simple arithmetic and counting a lot of the time: I'm pretty good at visualizing mathematical-related issues, but then watch the range or F-number fall out of my head. Seems to be how I think: I have habits of thought which make a physical dial to count on pretty handy. When I finally settle on a fancy flash, I may just paste a table for manual settings to the back of the head or something.

My requests to Pentax would be: A) Make this P-TTL work or give it up, already, maybe bring back true TTL somehow,

and B) Make something small and sophisticated to go with some of these smaller-serious camera concepts. Maybe to run off lithiums or some other compact battery: but, well,call it a Limited: something that'd go nice in a kit with that series of lenses: something fairly compact but with key control functions preserved: it seems that despite the rest of the line, they kind of fall into the scheme of More control=More money=more power=more size.

I mean, I'm a little biased, having been in a quest for as close to such a thing as I can find, but I think it would fit well with the brand to make something that a serious user can tuck in their pocket, with the assist light and some Auto modes and manual power settings. There's a Serious Flash, (I still like my 285HV, just wish there was an AF assist possibility for my camera) and then there's serious photo people at little indoor occasions. Not that the 540 is truly excessive in size or weight or anything, (I got to handle one) but I'd like to see a little bit more of that Pentax out-of-category thinking.
04-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Green Li Quote
What about Metz flashes? Too expensive? I say it's a great alternative.
It depends where you live.

In the Netherlands:

Metz 54 AF-1, lowest price: 280
Pentax AF 540-FGZ, lowest price: 355

So, I got the Metz!

- Bert
04-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, Metz has always made some fine products: they may even be the better company to make some different flash units to cross the brands with. They still seem to be more or less on the same scheme of bigger=more controls=more money, though. (I think their 48 must be one of the more popular flashes here, hitting that particular point in the curve, and I think the 58 might be just the thing if I needed 'full-service and powerful' )

I think Pentax could, instead of considering them 'the competition,' consider Metz to be freeing their hands to make some more-unique stuff.
04-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weather seal them.
A definite +1 for that!