Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax AF-540 Flash - plug to fit the external power source socket?

Okay, here is a really esoteric question. The Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash has a small two-pin electrical socket on the side to support external power sources such as the Pentax TR Power Pack III. I would like to build my own power pack and will need a plug to fit this socket to make the final connection to the flash.

Does anyone know where to find a plug to fit this particular socket? Note what appears to be an on/off pressure switch inside the inverted T on the bottom of this socket, meaning the plug would also likely need this inverted T portion to activate the two electrical pins. I really hate proprietary nonsense like this.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-19-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: clarification
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Okay, here is a really esoteric question. The Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash has a small two-pin electrical socket on the side to support external power sources such as the Pentax TR Power Pack III. I would like to build my own power pack and will need a plug to fit this socket to make the final connection to the flash.

Does anyone know where to find a plug to fit this particular socket? Note what appears to be an on/off pressure switch inside the inverted T on the bottom of this socket, meaning the plug would also likely need this inverted T portion to activate the two electrical pins. I really hate proprietary nonsense like this.

stewart
Well, to be fair, it's to stop people from trying to make their own power supplies, messing up, electrocuting themselves and their families, and then suing Pentax for it
07-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is no risk of electrocution, or even a good shock, associated with the very low power levels normally delivered through this connection. The somewhat more hazardous components are contained well inside the housing, requiring disassembly to pose a significant threat.

There is no risk to Pentax either. The printed disclaimers and precautions virtually preclude successful lawsuits relating to unauthorized disassembly, modifications, or attachments.

As for myself (my risk of damaging the flash or whatever), I have more than enough experience and training in electronics to complete this project successfully. So do several other individuals in this forum. Locating the proprietary plug is the only real obstacle.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-20-2007 at 03:50 AM.