Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thoughts on making a Softbox? Are flashes really needed?

I was reading this tutorial on how to make an incredibly cheap softbox for product photos the other day, and I was wondering, do you really need flashes? I don't want to have to buy a flash and a trigger and such to be able to take these photos, but I have a pretty strong desk lamp that I think might work at least somewhat as well as the soft box. Does it actually need flash power though? Here's the link to the tutorial I was reading about this.

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

04-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

The lamp won't be powerful enough. You can get a cheap flash. And cheap triggers. I paid about $60 for a transmitter and 2 receivers. Now I need two more receivers for another experiment.
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
The lamp won't be powerful enough. You can get a cheap flash. And cheap triggers. I paid about $60 for a transmitter and 2 receivers. Now I need two more receivers for another experiment.
Does the flash need to be P-TTL for a Pentax camera? Or can I just hook up a cheap Vivitar or something to one of the triggers? That would help a lot if I could just do that.
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
You don't "need" flashes to make something like this work. But, it would, IMHO, work better with a light source that you can control the output of, and that is usually a flash. The only way to know for sure is to put one of the boxes together, and try it out. If you get the light you want with the setup you make, then it works.

04-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Does the flash need to be P-TTL for a Pentax camera? Or can I just hook up a cheap Vivitar or something to one of the triggers? That would help a lot if I could just do that.
I do all my still life and portrait shooting with 2 Nikon SB-26's and a Pentax AF540, all set on manual.
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was reading this tutorial on how to make an incredibly cheap softbox for product photos the other day, and I was wondering, do you really need flashes? I don't want to have to buy a flash and a trigger and such to be able to take these photos, but I have a pretty strong desk lamp that I think might work at least somewhat as well as the soft box. Does it actually need flash power though? Here's the link to the tutorial I was reading about this.

I have a few boxes here and they all work without flash. I run the biggest one 48x48x48 entirely with 3 x 150w spots which is more than enough to fill the box. Though I also use 4 x 100w depending on my needs. And I run the entire thing off these cheap utility lights(6.00 ea.) and energy saver bulbs

and

and

I've never used flash with light/softboxes and tbh, I don't see the need.

PS. I also have a small flexible tungsten light that I have gotten into the habit of keeping over my shoulder(at the door) to fine tune my focus point. Other than that softbox's are really good fun.

Total cost of entire operation aprox. $70.00CA
So I guess the short answer is... No, you don't need flash to effectively use a light box of tent for product photography .

PS. the lights are very handy in my workshop too!

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-24-2010 at 05:31 AM.
04-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both flashes with cheap wireless triggers and hotlights. The problem with using lamps etc, with softboxes is the heat generated. For a small space/item, using the energy saving flourescent spiraly things will probably be fine. But for portraits, I use 300 and 500 watters and still struggle to get enough light, unless the subject is right up close to the light source. If you are using that much wattage you run the risk of burning/browning your softbox.

I have a 360 flash for one that i can control the output. For the other I have an AF220t from eBay ($10) and the triggers I bought on eBay as well, one transmitter and 3 recieves for $40. The main problem I have with my set up is that I can't seem to get it to fully sync at 1/180 shutter speed and have to drop it down a notch. But so far I've been please with the results for the price. If I need to dampen down the non-controllable flash, I just add some tissue or something over it to further diffuse.

04-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I have both flashes with cheap wireless triggers and hotlights. The problem with using lamps etc, with softboxes is the heat generated. For a small space/item, using the energy saving flourescent spiraly things will probably be fine. But for portraits, I use 300 and 500 watters and still struggle to get enough light, unless the subject is right up close to the light source. If you are using that much wattage you run the risk of burning/browning your softbox.
I have a 360 flash for one that i can control the output. For the other I have an AF220t from eBay ($10) and the triggers I bought on eBay as well, one transmitter and 3 recieves for $40. The main problem I have with my set up is that I can't seem to get it to fully sync at 1/180 shutter speed and have to drop it down a notch. But so far I've been please with the results for the price. If I need to dampen down the non-controllable flash, I just add some tissue or something over it to further diffuse.

I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking but... I have had really good success with one very large softbox(2000W equivalent) and two minor boxes as a stationary setup recently.

Which is surprisingly not very hot at all.
Now I have a tungsten and other filament lights ranging from 150 to 300W which are real scorchers and could easily start a fire. However... the 5 light system could never do that(unless it malfunctioned).

Though this in no way replaces the convenience and versatility of strobe lighting., I thought I might share my experience with others in case someone was interested.

Cheers.
04-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I've done tons of acceptable shots in the past using those cheap utility lamps like John posted.

For me, much easier using continuous lighting like this than flash because you can see your shadows and move the lamps to fix. Three lamps tops will do it, and you can get away with two by bouncing and diffusing correctly. But they're so cheap, you might as well go for three.
04-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking but... I have had really good success with one very large softbox(2000W equivalent) and two minor boxes as a stationary setup recently. Which is surprisingly not very hot at all.

Now I have a tungsten and other filament lights ranging from 150 to 300W which are real scorchers and could easily start a fire. However... the 5 light system could never do that(unless it malfunctioned).
Though this in no way replaces the convenience and versatility of strobe lighting., I thought I might share my experience with others in case someone was interested.
Cheers.
I think he was looking for going uber cheap with a lamp he already has. My concern was in order to get enough light with an ordinary lamp he'd have to up the wattage, which would up the heat, which could scorch the fabric.

The light you're using looks pretty darn cool. Where'd you get it and what does it run price-wise? Flourescents don't run as hot as tungtens.
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Forum Member

John Bee,

Those continuous fluorescent boxes are exactly what I have been shopping around for. Do you mind telling me what brand they are? I have found some that are REALLY expensive and others that are REALLY cheap so I am looking for recommendations.

Robin
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
John Bee,

Those continuous fluorescent boxes are exactly what I have been shopping around for. Do you mind telling me what brand they are? I have found some that are REALLY expensive and others that are REALLY cheap so I am looking for recommendations.

Robin
Hi, the name on the fixture of this unit is "Tricolor Light"
I picked-up the 2000w unit from a seller called ephotodiscounter on eBay.
I think I got it for 180.00 shipped on auction.

The two other units are smaller 400W units that I use(two bulb versions) and were aprox. 90 per unit.
And tbh. I have rarely(if ever) use all of the available light of all three units in my own settings. and I usually get away with two lights and a large reflector to pick-up the shadows with portraits.

For stationary lighting, these are by far the best I've owned to date.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-22-2010 at 12:59 PM.
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As long as you have a good tripod, you an use hot lights, but if you're debating strobes vs hot lights, do you have a good tripod? ;-)
04-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Strobist is about off-camera flash, so it's going to reference flashes in tutorials. You certainly can use continuous lights, but you'll need more power and a tripod to get good results.
04-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Forum Member

Thank you, John for the reply. I will check out that ebay seller. I have been looking at these and am not sure how they compare to the brand you have. Do yours tilt? Are they easy to set up and take down?

CowboyStudio Photography Lighting | Studio Equipment | Studio Accessories

Steve Kaeser Backgrounds & Accessories

My apologies to the OP for interupting his thread but perhaps this is info he would like to have as well.

Robin