Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Challenge 131: Once in a lifetime Winner!
Posted By: JeffJS, 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM

All, Thank you for participating. I liked and appreciated every entry for different reasons, from touching to just plain cool to shock and awe.

In order of appearance:

Arjay, Would certainly be a once in my lifetime or never in my lifetime since I don't do boats. Nice capture of something I never get to see.

Tim (atupdate), love the negative space images of the airplanes. I think you picked the right one for your entry as the rolling clouds add a lot to the shot.

Tamia, That Iceman or Old Man River of a character I use to draw in 4th grade while I was supposed to be listening to the teacher. I see faces in clouds too but never seem to have a camera with me when it happens. Nice monochrome feel to the photo. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Charliezap, Just plain (or should that be plane) Cool!! It's a feat (IMO) to get that kind of detail in a daytime moon shot let alone as a backdrop of a 4 engine jet. Worth the wait I would say.

Bruce (Bramela), I think you should re-title it to "Hurry the hell up already!!" or "Leave Me Some!". That bird looks like he's about to just Take it. Cool shot of all the splashing water and the impatient bystander.

eccs19, Getting a Hummingbird face on certainly seems rare. Especially to me since I've only actually seen one once in my life. I Had a camera with me but before I realized what it was, he'd made his rounds and left. Nice shot!

Robin (bumbibop), I would say the once in a lifetime is finding this lady. Don't know if she's your wife or girlfriend, but her smile in other photos you've posted makes her a Keeper (I'm a sucker for readheads btw).

casil403, I think I was 10 last time I randomly saw a 4 leaf clover, and I did pick it. Maybe I shouldn't have. Great detail, color, and bokeh in your photo. I'm glad for you that it gave you some hope to deal with whatever was going on.

mingdie, Who Says Pentax cannot do Action sports shots! And a DL at that.. I say this with the realization that it could not be avoided but that tower or whatever it is is very distracting in the shot. Still I have to give credit where it is due, the photographer and a great capture of the action.

Robin (rparmar), What can I say? I truly hope it IS a once in a lifetime event for you. Great capture on quite difficult subject showing all of the white on white detail.

Mike L, Very serene looking. I like the way the robe plays against the building structure. Once in a lifetime or not, still a great capture. Thank you for sharing.

axl, I'm not typically a fan of sunset photos but I have to say that is a great one. Taken on a great day and with (I'm sure) a very special person.

xjjohnno, Caught the thief in the act! Where's the badminton racket to swat that sucker with!!

Photolady, I have seen squirrels with a lot of things but never a banana peel. He must have been Hungry. Great capture. Squirrels see me coming with a camera and their reaction is usually the same as my dog. Leave. Thanks for sharing.

Mike (MRRiley), Again, What can I say. I'll bet not as much as that rider was saying as he AND his motorcycle was flying through the air, watching the pavement fast approaching. Would have been great to see the rider's face (I know it would be unlikely with a helmet) just for the expression of "This is going to hurt"...

Blue, I know you wrote and DQ'd yourself on a technicality but I still appreciate you sharing your story. It's great to see people overcome rather than submit. Well done!

Each of you who submitted photos received or will receive a Reputation boost from me. Page 1 is done, page 2 will come tomorrow. Apparently, I've hit my limit for a 24 hour period. Thank you all for posting and sharing your stories. All great in their own ways. The winner however goes to the photo that surprised me the most on first view.

Congratulations Mike (MRRiley)

I can still only imagine (and won't spell out here ) what he must have been thinking

Well done.

Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to the next Challenge.

Jeff

Views: 2,126
05-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jeff,

This was a great challenge to view. Nice topic selection. Who would have ever thought than an image with the person's head cut off would win a photography challenge .

Congratulations Mike and I look forward to your topic selection.

Tim
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of very deserving entries in this challenge and I'm flattered to have won it. Well done to everyone. Thanks for the detailed reviews Jeff. I know everyone appreciates them.

As for the rider, I talked to him the next time I saw him and all he recalled thinking was "What the?" and then he was bouncing into the outfield grass. He wasn't hurt badly and the bike was back on the track the next weekend. It's amazing what these guys take.

Mike

p.s. LOL Tim! Yeah, having a cutoff head is generally very poor photo technique...
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Congratulations MRRiley, great photo! I said to my gal the other day "Look at this crazy shot! He'll prolly win the contest.."

Thanx for a great challenge, was very fun to see the different participants and views. And thank you for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Robin (bumbibop), I would say the once in a lifetime is finding this lady. Don't know if she's your wife or girlfriend, but her smile in other photos you've posted makes her a Keeper (I'm a sucker for readheads btw).
You're right she's indeed a Keeper. Due to our difference in religious beliefs (or lack of) we're not married. But we've been sticking together for a couple of years now. And I'm a sucker too she've changed the colour a couple of times, thou luckily she dyes back to red most of the time.

05-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

congrats Mike.
It's a great shot! Well deserved...
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations Mike, well done!

Jeff thanks for the comments on mine.
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, a WELL deserved first place. A definate once in a life time, and with the action going by so fast, you got that shot nice and sharp to boot.

05-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shot Mike!

And thanks Jeff for a challenging comptition that I really had to do some soul-searching to submit to. That is a rare thing.
05-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Mike! Really well captured. Having crashed my self-powered bicycle at slow speeds a few times, I couldn't help but cringe at the thought of that motorcyclist hitting the dirt at speed. Glad he was OK!

Thanks Jeff for a terrific challenge and for the detailed comments on the entries. Lots of fun to see everyone's pix.
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi Mike--Nicely done.It's the spirit of competition that will help me hone my skills and keep "the pedal to the metal"--charliezap
05-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I knew it as soon as I saw it -Mike has the winner!- just kept sitting there looking at that poor guy launched into the air in such accurate focus - I know excatly what that feels like as a recreational rider a few decades ago and the time it takes doesn't allow for any thought, one sec you're in control the next you are rolling on the grass hoping you don't meet a pole, a fence or another vehicle.
What's the theme up next?
05-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations Mike, a well deserved winner.
And thanks Jeff for your comments.
Some very interesting photos, in a very interesting subject.
Well done, all!
05-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats Mike, quite the well timed capture with that one.
05-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats Mike. Well deserved.

Thanks for the comments Jeff.
05-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone! Next challenge theme is "Moms & Motherhood"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10014...otherhood.html