Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winner: Challenge #133 - Beautiful Blur
Posted By: woof, 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM

I'll try to classify each and give a comment. I am going to pick only one of each type. The predominant type of blur will govern.

Please understand my choices as my choices. It is subjective and I really liked all of the shots very much. Holding myself to one kind of blur per winner probably changed the results.

JeffJS – Bokeh. Beautiful color. I love the shallow DOF. The flowers in the foreground are actually somewhat distracting to me, and I feel like moving them to get a better view of the subject. This is just me. It is an interesting exercise however, and overall it is a very pleasant photograph. Again, I love the colors!

Clou – Motion Blur. I can feel the hot air, and am rocked by the blast of air and the noise as the train passes. This is very vivid to me after having lived and worked in NYC for many years. Nice capture. I’m sure that this was caught hand held… I think that enhances the overall vividness of the feeling here. Nice work!

Icywarm – Predominantly Panning Blur. The artsy look worked nicely. Clearly you were panning, and I very much like the fact that parts of the duck are crisp, while the wings and background are blurred. This is a very unique capture and I really like what you’ve done here. Luck may have played a part, but I think that overall you knew what you were going for and delivered.

shooz – Soft Focus. This is a very soft composition. I like it very much and am not sure why entirely. I have very much enjoyed your other work such as “lilies-a-blur.” The original of this was also very nice. The pinkish glow is quite appealing and I'd like to know more about any PP applied.

Casil403 – Motion blur. Nice shot. This takes me right back to my time in NYC. It succeeds very nicely in capturing the early morning commute. the throngs have not yet arrived, but the motion hints of the bustle to come.

Bramela – Motion Blur. Nice capture! This is a rather unique view that I have seldom seen. Nicely done!

Tamia – Reflective blur. This is very interesting. The strong graphic element of the tree leads me along for a time before my eye wanders out into the blur. I like this very much.

Ash – Long Exposure. I am a sucker for long exposures of this sort. I like this very much.

Atupdate – Bokeh. I like this very much, though the brightness of the flower in the background distracts me from the subject. Perhaps that is the point, but I find my attention divided. This is not a criticism, it is just my opinion. It was I that asked to see blur after all!

Charliezap – Motion Blur. Truly awesome capture. Well done.

Blue – Motion Blur. I always like your stuff. This actually reminds me of a place on Martha’s Vineyard.

Rense – Panning Blur. Nice. As an abstract, I don’t think I want to know what this was. It is suggestive of trees, and has a hint of impressionism. Very nicely done. I am a big fan of your work.

Jmshrei – Bokeh. Well done. Sort of classic golden triangle composition.

xs400 – Motion Blur. Nice. I was not expecting anything like this. I have seen trees shaken like this recently by a powerful windstorm, and this is actually very vivid. I think it perfectly represents the idea of Beautiful Blur.

Winners are:

Second Runner Up - Ash. I really do like this very much. I admire long exposure and must practice this more. I know that this took some work, despite your description. You have a great eye. I am always a fan. I do want to see this in a high contrast black and white.

First Runner Up - icywarm. Wonderful capture. The sharpness against the blurred background really conveys a sense of motion. I know it has motion blur too, but what catches my eye predominantly is the blur from panning. I would be proud to have taken this photograph.

Winner - xs400. This is a very interesting shot. More than every other motion photo in this group, this photograph conveys movement. So much so that if I stare at it, it begins to move. Well done. Almost impressionistic, almost abstract. I am not certain that it is not completely fortuitous, but that does not matter. Well captured, it really is quite engaging to me.

Again, thanks to all... a nice turnout and very nice work!

Seaain
Views: 1,595
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It'd just like to point out that this was a very creative theme in and of itself!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

xs400 - Great capture, I have been wanting to try working on the technique you used in this photo, thanks for teaching me something new! Thanks for judging woof!
05-20-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Frank, Jord, and Ash, and thanks for a fun challenge, Woof. It was an inspired choice which taught me a lot because of the wide variety of entries.

05-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
woof,

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about toning down the flower in the back. I'll have to play around a little and give it a try.

As for the winner and runners-up, congratulations to all of you. I was wondering which one of you three would be picked for the grand honor of hosting the next challlenge.

Tim
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'd just like to point out that this was a very creative theme in and of itself!
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Thanks for judging woof!
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks for a fun challenge, Woof. It was an inspired choice which taught me a lot because of the wide variety of entries.
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about toning down the flower in the back. I'll have to play around a little and give it a try.
Thanks guys. This was fun. A lot of really great entries, and I learned a lot myself... or at least I learned that I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again to all of the participants. Great work, and indeed and honor and pleasure to see...

woof
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, to the winners. Very deserved.
And thanks for a great judging job Woof, and your comments.
05-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations everyone! And a great theme woof and excellent judging.

NaCl(hopefully I'll have time for the next contest)H2O

05-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well chosen winner woof.
Love that capture Frank.
Very creative.
Well done to all.
Look forward to the next one.

Here's the B&W version of my entry for your enjoyment:
05-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm honored to have been chosen the winner. Thank you very much. And congrats to Ash and icywarm, both are great shots.

I will have the next challenge up soon.
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations Frank...such a great shot...so many great shots in this contest!
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Congrats to everyone. Thanks for an interesting topic Woof.