Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners: Weekly Challenge #135 - History
Posted By: atupdate, 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM

I was very pleased with the variety of challenge entries. Iíll be giving everyone that has entered reputation points over the next few days (I maxed out my daily limit before I could get to everyone).

Iíve provided a few comments on each of the entries and Iíd be happy to provide a little more detail about what I see in your image if you send me a PM.

The challenge can be viewed here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10301...5-history.html

Now, on to the comments and the winners.

axl: There is a definite historical focus to your image. The image could use a little sharpening (an after effect of the down sizing for the web I think) and a very slight curve adjustment to bump the contrast.

bbluesman: I think your subject fits the challenge nicely; however, there is just too much going on in this image. The door on the left and the cracked pattern on the wall compete with the water pump for my attention. Also, the placement of the water pump in the composition (partially cropped at the bottom of the pump) weakens the stature of the pump as the main subject.

Blue: Your image has a good historical feel and the composition is strong. It could use a little work with a curve layer or two to bring out the church while retaining the detail in the grass.

Bramela: A very nice silhouette of a historical ship but the crop at the front and bottom of the ship is a bit tight for my tastes.

Casil403: I really like the B&W conversion you did on this image. I brought he sky into the composition very nicely. Vehicles are a great vehicle (pun intended) for dating an era. The DA 10-17 served you well for the perspective of your image. However, if you would have gotten a little lower and shot upwards a little bit, I think the composition would have been a little stronger.

Clou: I like the historical significance of your subject but I find it difficult to find a focal point to the image. The artwork of the salt works visible on the right side of the picture shows how big this structure really is and sometimes it is hard to appreciate the scope of such a large structure.

jmschrei: I love the colors of the grain elevators but the composition is a bit static. The middle elevator is almost totally obscured by the front one and the perspective is basically straight on. I find that I often have to force myself to walk around a subject and look at them from both a standing and ground level perspective to find the strongest composition.

NaClH2O: The backlighting of this image has produced a little bite of haloing along the mountains and the upper part of the sails. I love how you kept the colors looking real in your processing. I think the compositions would be a little stronger if the ship was moved off center. An 8x10 crop removing the left side of the image seems to work really well for my tastes.

ohce: Since you posted three images for this challenge, I choose the first one posted as your entry. I generally donít like compositions with the subject looking out of the image with a large amount of space behind the subject. However, this composition works for your image. I think the building in the background (A castle I think) provides a balance point for the statue. I also like the weathered look to the statue. It definitely has been there a long time.

reeftool: Iíve taken a couple of images similar to this with my DA 10-17. Nice job with the composition and balancing the light. I love the yellow color that is found throughout the image. Now if there was a person dressed in period wear inside, you would have had a winner.

Rense: I was pleasantly surprised to see rocks entered as a historical item. But there isnít anything much older than rocks that I can think of. I appreciate the historical nature of this rock formation from your description but the composition is a bit static (I know rocks donít move). I think a different perspective might have helped produce a more dramatic composition.

Slinco: A wonderful capture and nice use of the available light in the room. The style of the sofa definitely fits the challenge; however, the color of the wall and baseboard makes the location look modern. A B&W or sepia conversion would have strengthened the challenge connection.

xjjohnno: Not forgetting Renseís rocks, this has to be the oldest formally alive thing in the challenge. The trouble with taking images in a museum is that they donít often design the displays with photography in mind. Thus, your image suffers from many distractions on both sides of the main subject. The image could also use a little sharpening (an after effect of the down sizing for the web I think).

Third Place Ö.
Tamia: The old style gravestones and barren grass give the feel of an old Civil War cemetery. Iím not a huge fan of selective desaturation but the dark shadows contrasted by the bright flags give this image strong emotional appeal.

Second Place Ö..

Nomad: I was hoping to see an old train engine entered in this challenge. The composition is very strong as is; however, I think the crop at the bottom is a little to close to the engine. With a bit more space at the bottom, I think the image would have an almost 3-D feel to it with the engine looking like it was coming out of the photo. Converting to sepia was a great idea, as it gives a very strong historical feel to the image.

The Winner isÖ..

Oldschool: I love the tight crop of this image and there is just enough eye showing under the brim of the hat to help me connect to the person. The yellow sepia really adds an old photograph feel to the image but I think a little noise would compliment the yellow sepia very nicely.

Thanks to everyone that entered and I'm looking forward to Challenge #135.

Tim
Views: 1,776
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to Oldschool, Nomad and Tamia, and much thanks to Tim for judging and the critique. Well done everybody.

NaCl(According to my nephew, I'm old enough to be history...maybe I should have submitted a self portrait!)H2O
06-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Tim,
Thank you very much. I can honestly say I was very surprised as I thought there were some great entries, especially Nomad's. Let me think a bit on a topic and I'll start a new contest soon.
Thanks again,
Paul
06-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice job everybody, I didn't get into this one but I love history, thanks for sharing!

06-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice work everyone on this challenge. I was a day late for this one. Just today the Canadian Snowbirds were flying over our place, and I got a couple of shots. Part of Canada's history, so it would have fit the theme. There is always next challenge.
06-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gosh, thanks much for third, Tim, as well as for a very interesting challenge and for your insightful comments. Congratulations to Nomad and Oldschool for second and first, respectively. I enjoyed everyone's entry. (Must say I have a strong emotional tie to Bruce's photo because I love the history of the age of exploration and sail.)
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats to Oldschool, Nomad and Tamia, and thanks to Tim for judging