Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winner: Project 52-2-47 Subject: Forest
Posted By: dpc515, 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Let me start by saying that I am not qualified to judge such a talented bunch. Two weeks ago I did'nt even know what "bokeh" was. I'm still not sure I could tell a good one from a great one. But I'm pretty sure I saw some this week. That being said, I will try to do justice to the task at hand.

bbluesman – If I was to pick a place to meditate…this would be it. An awe-inspiring shot. Although the ‘lone tree’ thinks it is the focal point, the misty forest draws you in and almost refuses to take a back seat.
ps: I also enjoyed the “former member of the forest”.

xs400 – Beautiful place for a quiet hike. I can almost sense the serenity through your lens. The color of the redwoods, really stand out against the green foliage.

casil403 - I love this perspective, makes me have to hold on to my chair. Even though there are only three trees in your forest, (I think the middle one is a redwood from Frank’s forest), the clouds make a nice canopy. So… urban forest it is.

ohce - So much green…the right side is almost 3d. I wanted to blow it up and cover my home office window. (Block out the typical Las Vegas sand colored stucco next to me).

jmschei – Nice capture of forest windfall, it really adds dimension to the shot.(If this was a musical theme would it be “woodwinds”?). I like the way that the sunlight on the forest floor, follows the fallen timber.

Tamia – I really admire these kind of close-ups. You have a great eye for nature. You see the things that most people would step on, or miss completely… like a turtle crossing the road.

Rense – What can I say… this is the forest to me. The highlighted birch trees on the edge, just grab your eye and lead you right into the woods. The blurred grass line is like a rolling mist. Nice work! Ahh ha.. you can see the forest for the trees!

icywarm – The more I looked at this, the more I could see a complete eco-system in a two foot square area. (a ‘walnut’ fungus, newly spouted growth, tall grass, decaying leaves) Very interesting composition.

Danloc78 – This looks like the ‘forest’ version of Lisa’s photo. Nice detail in the bark. I see a ‘face’ in the focused area.( a raised eyebrow, the long nose and the out of focus mouth) Was that the intent? I especially like the dark truck against the light blue sky.

stevebrot – The heavy PP gives this a cool effect. Like after a thunder and lightning storm… you can almost smell the nitrogen blowing through the air.

Jools – What a great imagination! I never would have thought of that. (even if I did have a scrabble board). Pentax Photo Projects: “A FOREST” – score 10. (1+4+1+1+1+1+1).

Iris – “Yesterday we had a day out with people from work and I brought my camera”. Imagine that! I’ll bet you don’t go many places without it…and your work shows. Nice composition of a transitioning forest. Another story being told by a single photograph.

ovim – You’ve done an extraordinary job of capturing a typical summer scene. The Finnish people are very fortunate to have such abundant beauty. The overhanging sunlit leaves, the lone dead branch pointing across the windswept lake, to a magnificent forest. Who would’nt want to live there.

ramseybuckeye – Nice shot of looking out of the forest onto a quiet meadow. It’s like Mother Nature looking out and showing her approval of two people riding the original four-wheeler.
“OH…_ _

...all winner's to me, but here goes!

"honorable mention": to Jools for a 10

3rd place to: ovim for typical summer scene

2nd place to: Tamia- a forest of club moss

and the Winner: Rense - The Forest

This was really difficult...but I had fun.
Dave
Views: 2,323
06-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An absolutely superb take on the theme Rense, well done! Congrats also to Tamia, ovim, and Jools!

And don't sell yourself short Dave, you were quite a fine judge!

Last edited by DanLoc78; 06-07-2010 at 09:00 AM.
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks much Dave, for 2nd place, for your comments, and for the difficult judging in this challenge. Congratulations to Rense, Oula, and Jools.
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations to the winners! I agree that Rense's birch grove is a wonderful shot and well-deserving!

Steve

06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks a lot Dave! Congrats to the runners up!
Well done all, I loved this theme and the different interpretations.....
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense!
Congrats also to Tamia, ovim, and Jools!
And thanks Dave for judging, you did a good job
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

dpc515, thanks for the mention, your comments and overall judging.
Congrats to Rense, Tamia and ovim.
Some very nice work from all.

06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense. Excellent shot. A well deserved with.
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Kudos Dave-great job on judging. Rense,Tamia and Oula fine job with a lot of great shots by others. Good competition.
06-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rense and the runners up. Some really nice entries and great job judging, Dave!

-Joe
06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations to Rense and the other winners. Really nice work. You all did Project 52-2 proud while I was away from the forums.
06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back, Rob! Rense has been doing a fine job holding up the fort.
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats to Rense and to Tamia and Jools! And thanks for judging dpc515 you did a fine job.