Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners Challenge #136 - In and around the kitchen
Posted By: Oldschool, 06-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks and congratulations to all who entered. There are some great images here and this is not easy for me to judge.

Here is the link to the challenge: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10377...d-kitchen.html

Bruce, the fruit looks good enough to eat. I wanted to pick up one of the strawberries. I thought the lighting was a little bit harsh.

Jimbow007, great use of natural light and depth of field. My complements to the chef and the photographer.

Rollsup, I like this image. It took me a while to figure out what it is. The word 'peerless' is used very well in an abstract image.

Jools, while I don't particularly like lima beans, this image is very good. It's a great use of a monotone theme. Again, I only commented on this one because I like it better than the other one.

Bbluesman, I am only going to comment on the chopsticks photo because that's the one I liked best. This is a very good B&W conversion. I'm not sure if you intended for the noise, but I think it adds to the image.

Stratman, that is a large eat in kitchen. Unfortunately, my aversion to malls quickly eliminated this one

Jools, this looks delicious. I probably would have cropped this a bit as I found the loaf in the foreground distracting. I also think it's a little under exposed.

geauxpez, I've never had home made marshmallows. Looks delicious (in a very sweet tooth kind of way).

Honorable Mention
Here's where it's tough for me as any one of the following could be winners.

Tamia, I really liked this shot. Great B&W conversion and I really like how you used the reflection.

atupdate, Tim this is fantastic. I can see this poster sized in my kitchen. Fantastic post processing.

casil403, another fantastic shot. Great imagination, beautiful B&W. What else can I say, except I loved this shot.

Peter, I don't know how you did this, but it's fantastic.

Winner

ovim, I just love this shot. I think it captures what I was trying to say when I chose this theme. I love the reflection on the table, the lighting and of course the complete composition. Congratulations.

Again, thanks to all who entered and congratulations to ovim.
Views: 1,617
06-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks a lot Oldschool! And congrats to runner-ups. I'm away from home but I'll try to launch the next challenge later today...
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool, Oldschool.
Thanks for the comments and congrats to ovim and the runner-ups
06-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Oula on a fine photo. Thanks for the honorable mention, Paul, and to everyone for participating in this fun challenge.

06-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent shot Ovim -- that was my favorite as well. Congrats to all.
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Congratulations Ovim great shot. That would have been my choice too. Also congrats to the runner-ups.

Oldschool, thanks for the comments. I had fun being the Chef and photographer.
06-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the comments. Well judged. Congrats to Ovim. That shot is a classic.

If you're interested, the Soup can was shot in a home made lightbox. My 'store bought' one wouldn't work for this. It was a cardboard box with the can suspended and I had to clone out the wire that held it in place. Then from the top, I used a turkey baster to drop soup from a hole in the top. Needless to say I had to take a lot of shots to get the drop and splash to look right and in the right place. Fun experiment though.
06-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Thanks and congratulations to all who entered. There are some great images here and this is not easy for me to judge.

Here is the link to the challenge: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10377...d-kitchen.html

Bruce, the fruit looks good enough to eat. I wanted to pick up one of the strawberries. I thought the lighting was a little bit harsh.

Jimbow007, great use of natural light and depth of field. My complements to the chef and the photographer.

Rollsup, I like this image. It took me a while to figure out what it is. The word 'peerless' is used very well in an abstract image.

Jools, while I don't particularly like lima beans, this image is very good. It's a great use of a monotone theme. Again, I only commented on this one because I like it better than the other one.

Bbluesman, I am only going to comment on the chopsticks photo because that's the one I liked best. This is a very good B&W conversion. I'm not sure if you intended for the noise, but I think it adds to the image.

Stratman, that is a large eat in kitchen. Unfortunately, my aversion to malls quickly eliminated this one

Jools, this looks delicious. I probably would have cropped this a bit as I found the loaf in the foreground distracting. I also think it's a little under exposed.

geauxpez, I've never had home made marshmallows. Looks delicious (in a very sweet tooth kind of way).

Honorable Mention
Here's where it's tough for me as any one of the following could be winners.

Tamia, I really liked this shot. Great B&W conversion and I really like how you used the reflection.

atupdate, Tim this is fantastic. I can see this poster sized in my kitchen. Fantastic post processing.

casil403, another fantastic shot. Great imagination, beautiful B&W. What else can I say, except I loved this shot.

Peter, I don't know how you did this, but it's fantastic.

Winner

ovim, I just love this shot. I think it captures what I was trying to say when I chose this theme. I love the reflection on the table, the lighting and of course the complete composition. Congratulations.

Again, thanks to all who entered and congratulations to ovim.
Not even an "mtroute thanks for entering maybe you should find a new hobby"?

06-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

mtroute, I have hosted this a few times, it gets confusing and he probably just missed it when trying to assemble the winners thread. Your entry certainly was worthy of comment and looked delicious to me!
06-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm sure he didn't do it intentionally. The same thing happened to my entry to P52 a couple of weeks back.
06-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Oldschool and congrats Oula!

Mtroute...don't take it personally...it is hard to judge and get all the comments in without missing one, especially when there are alot of entries. I missed one on my first go at it and corrected the oversight.
I am sure that is what happened here.
06-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Not even an "mtroute thanks for entering maybe you should find a new hobby"?
mtroute, I'm terribly sorry. It wasn't intentional. I did like your shot as it reminded me of my childhood with my mom baking chocolate chip cookies. I mentally had this photo in the honorable mention category but somehow missed it when I created the thread. Again, I apologize.
06-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
mtroute, I'm terribly sorry. It wasn't intentional. I did like your shot as it reminded me of my childhood with my mom baking chocolate chip cookies. I mentally had this photo in the honorable mention category but somehow missed it when I created the thread. Again, I apologize.
No worries, just pulling on your chain a little.