Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners: P52-3-7 Focus: Deep
Posted By: VaughnA, 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated in this Challenge. A lot of great entries and examples. I'm definitely not the greatest judge but I'll do my best, don't shoot me for my ill-informed opinions. I'm going to attempt to follow Iris' example and at least say a few words about what I feel about each photo. Don't take any of this stuff too seriously, I'm basically hanging out here for comic relief.

JmShrei: Nice shot, definitely shows the effects of deep focus. I think I would have liked it a bit more if the fence had a little more of an angle to show more of the fence.

Tamia: Beautiful shot but I'm not sure it has enough depth in the subject to really demonstrate the challenge. But I love the shot.

Rense: Lovely shot with great sharpness all the way through the shot. I love the shot and the diagonal flow of the water.

Casil403: Great shot, I love the sharpness of the rock and the incoming clouds. But it doesn't really demonstrate the deep focus since most of the photo is at about the same distance relatively speaking.

Danloc78: Great shot to demostrate the challenge. Trying to keep the sunflowers as well as the house in focus was a challenge and it looks like you did pretty good in making it work. A bit dark to my eye and monitor.

Jheu02: Nice shot, works showing the goal of the challenge. I really like the color of the sky reflection in the water.

Ovim: Great example of deep focus. The closeness of the apple really makes the distant objects look even farther away and everything looks to be in great focus.

Iris: Nice shot and great demonstration of the challenge. Lots of nice leading lines with perfect focus.

Bramela: Good example with a foreground subject giving it more depth. But the trees in the distance are a bit out of focus to my eye.

Tsukiouji: Interesting shot but it looks a bit out of focus. I'm not sure if it is the compression of the upload. Welcome and thanks for taking on the challenge!

Now for my choices...

3rd Place is aTie, Rense & Iris: Great shots that show the challenge well. But how could I choose my favorite?

2nd Place goes to DanLoc78: I like the shot, colorful and wonderful example of the challenge.

And this Challenge's Winner is Ovim: When I saw this I really liked it. Can't tell you why but I just love this shot and it fits the challenge well.

Thanks for all of the entries. I'm ready for next weeks.
Views: 2,292
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
congrats to the winner Ovim, and to Rense and Iris as well!

Thanks for the critique and 2nd place! The original photo is actually quite a bit lighter, but I really wanted those sunflowers to pop, so i darkened the rest of the image a bit. However, my monitor at home is pretty bright...so perhaps I went a bit too far!

For some reason I had a much harder time with this challenge than I thought I would. I took many, many photos out in that sunflower field, and I was having a very hard time capturing everything from foreground to horizon. Ironically, my issue of Outdoor Photographer shows up at my door the very next day, and the main topic is DEEP FOCUS! I had a good laugh about that.

Great job Vaughn...judging these is never easy!

Last edited by DanLoc78; 09-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
09-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Oula, Dan and Rense.
Thanks for that 3rd place

Great job judging Vaughn!
09-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oula, Dan, Iris, congrats! Oula, as soon as I saw your entry, I thought it would be hard to beat!
Thanks Vaughn, for the judging job.

And now: show me your bodyparts!

09-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations ovim, terrific shot! Congratulations to the runners up and thanks for judging Vaughn.
-Joe
09-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats and great judging Vaughn... this was a tough one for sure.
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very good work all. Congrats to all the winners. I especially liked your title Oula, very fitting.

09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for 1st place! Excellent judging Congrats also to DanLoc78, Rense and Iris!

I saw your shots before I shot mine and honestly I thought I didn't have a change. I forced myself to get out and take a shot (it was shot less than 10 meters from my front door).

There might be a bit of problem with this weeks judging though. On sunday I'm flying to Cyprus for a week with the family. If I can I'll judge the shots from there but if I can't I'll judge the shots when I get home if that OK with everyone.