Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners P52-3-10 People:Street
Posted By: jmschrei, 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM

This is my first time judging and I do not feel qualified to make a comment on each entry, especially since this is a type of photography with which I have absolutely no experience. So I would like to thank and congratulate everyone who entered this week because I know that for some of us this was well outside our comfort zones!

With relatively few entries, everyone gets an honourable mention (my prerogative)! Picking the top three was much more difficult.

I chose the winners based primarily on whether the image invited me to want to know, or create, a story for the person or people portrayed.

Third:

bbluesman: Anyone familiar with Mark's work knows that he is more comfortable than most with street photography. I felt that this was a particularly effective shot because it does not feel like the photographer is a distant observer. The composition and shallow DOF pull the viewer into the subject's experience but allows us to imagine what he might be thinking or why.

Second:

leadbelly: This shot has a classic journalistic quality - wonderful perspective, composition and a haunting feel. I was drawn into this image at first sight.

First:

Clou: Wow! There is so much happening in this photo and a sense of celebration but the young couple are clearly in a world of their own. The look of young love on the boy's face is priceless. Excellent capture and the sepia treatment certainly does enhance the timelessness of the moment. Congratulations!
Views: 2,524
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely chosen winner.
Congrats Clou and well done to the other entrants
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for judging Joe(and the 3rd place) and kudos to Leadbelly and Michael. Plenty of other good shots in this competition.
10-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow... 2nd. Thanks

Great entries all... it's a wonder you were able to choose among all the fine shots!

10-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Clou for first, and to Leadbelly and Mark for 2nd and 3rd. Thanks for judging, Joe. A tough one with a lot of excellent entries.
10-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to Clou! ...and Leadbelly and Mark! Well deserved podium places. And very well judged jmschrei!
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks to jmschrei for judging - I did not expect to finish first in this one (as in any other competition I participate). Street is still well outside my comfort zone and there are so many good entries in this competition. This was a very lucky one - I do not expect to be able to repeat a similar one that soon...

One thing is sure - this will encourage me to venture more outside my comfort zone.

Thanks for that!

Ash, Mark, leadbelly, Tamia and Oula: Thanks for the nice words.

Michael

Last edited by Clou; 10-12-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something
10-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulation Clou and also congrats to Leadbelly and Mark. Thanks for judging, Joe.
10-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's friggin' scary shooting on the street, huh? I was lucky, too! Because I am an EVIL SMOKER I do get bothered quite often on the streets by those looking for a cigarette. In the case of the shot I posted, though, it "broke the ice" as it were..

Just Sunday past, my wife and I were on a walk, me with the K100DS around the neck as usual. Normally I go to great pains to avoid taking any shots when people are out and about, I just don't want the confrontation- especially when we're walking in residential areas, I understand people don't want the bother. However, we walked by a schoolyard where a group of 4-5 boys were riding skateboards- we were about 30 yards away from them, so I zoomed in and took a couple shots. We were deciding which way to go next when the crew of them came up and asked why I was taking photos of them- in French. I basically said because I'm an enthusiast, taking pictures of what is cool/fun, etc. The "leader" then demanded that I not put the pictures on "the internet"- of course I assured him I wouldn't. Just the tone was rather belligerent, very wary kid. Of course the youngest of the bunch lightened things up by asking if I was a "skateboard photographer".. ;-) I said not particularly, but anyways we walked on and had to cool off a bit- not that I was afraid, but you never know when somebody might decide to get violent or take your camera and break it or something...

BTW, the shots were junk, nothing worth keeping!

Anyways, yep, street shooting - especially in our times! - is a bit of a gamble, that's for sure!
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice picks from a good field of entries. Congratulations to the winners and to all who participated in a difficult photographic genre.