Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners P52-3-13 Exposure: High Key
Posted By: Iris, 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

It is really nice to win Project 52 , but sometimes it can be quite a burden .
Especially when you have to judge a “technical” challenge like this weeks project 52-3-13 Exposure: High-Key.
I am an absolute beginner and I find it very, very difficult to decide what is a real high key picture and what isn’t!

That’s why I used the websites Rense gave us for some tips I could use in my judgement.
A successful high-key image is one where the tones represented in the histogram are predominantly in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale.
• image’s key tone is high
• control of dark tones: essentially we don’t want them
• working with flat and generous lighting while avoiding the use of dark clothes.

These things I will use in my judgement.
But first I would like to thank you all for participating (again).
It is nice to see so many regular participants. And welcome to all the not so regular participants,
I hope to see you more often!

Joe (jmschrei):
This is a difficult picture for me to judge.
The tones represented in the histogram are in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale, but just.
No dark tones, no shadows, but still got the impression that the image key tone is not high enough.
I like the composition of the picture.

Lisa (mummarazzi):
Great high-key picture. It is a lovely composition.
Most of tones in the histogram are predominantly on the right side.
The picture would even be more high-key if the baby wore pants with lighter spots (like blue or pink),
but I like it this way already.

Mark (bbluesman):
Of course "people" from you, I would not expect something else
Well this is definitely not a real high key picture,
as the tones represented in the histogram are nicely distributed along the whole horizontal scale.
But coming from you I can see it is a much brighter picture then you normally shoot.

Rense:
Great job Rense, you know I love spiders
Definitely a high-key picture, where the tones represented in the histogram are
predominantly in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale, and no dark tones and no shadows.
I like the composition of your picture.

Dave m (dcmsox2004):
I like your picture.
I think it qualifies as a high-key picture. The tones in the histogram are predominantly on the right side.
But your picture lacks real whites; it has a grey overall look.
I think it would benefit from brightening up (if you check the histogram you see there is some space left on the right side).

John (jheu02):

Yes definitely a high-key picture!
The tones in the histogram are predominantly on the right side.
No dark tones and no hard shadows, good use of light tones.
Perhaps you over-exposed a bit too much;
a little less would still make a great high-key picture and is perhaps a little less unnatural.

Karen (KarenH):

Nice Karen to see your entry here. It is a very funny picture.
Most of tones in the histogram are predominantly on the right side,
but I think that making a real high key picture with a black subject is more or less impossible.
There are also a lot of greys in your picture, it would benefit from brighten it up a bit.

Willem (wllm):
I like your shot very, very much!
I am not sure it is a real high key image though.
Sure most of tones represented in the histogram are predominantly in the right-hand side,
but there are also a lot of mid-tones and darks present.
But what a nice shot. I am not sure why, but this picture gives me a Charles Dickens feeling.

Tamia:
What a very, very nice picture Tamia!
Most of tones in the histogram are predominantly on the right side,
but there is a strong small but high peak on the absolute left side of the histogram.
The dark tones are essential in this picture, but that’s why I am not sure it is a real high-key picture.
But it is still a great picture!

Rob (mithrandir):
This is a difficult picture for me to judge.
The tones represented in the histogram are in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale.
But I think you choose a subject that is not suitable for high-key and then you end up with an over-exposed image.
Good try though!

Rob (robjmitchell):
Great high-key picture Rob,
with the tones represented in the histogram on the right side and no dark tones and no shadows.
Lovely subject!

Steve (stevebrot):

High-key photography works for product-photography, just like you described.
But as said before, I think that a real high key picture with a black subject is more or less impossible.
The histogram of your picture shows this also;
quite some tones are on the left side of the histogram.
But great picture anyway!

Jan (JanVan):
Great high-key picture!
The tones represented in the histogram are predominantly in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale.
You cleverly chose a light subject and background.
Well done!

Tom (ramseybuckeye):
Funny subject, very original!
But I don’t think it is a real high key picture,
as the tones represented in the histogram are nicely distributed along the horizontal scale.
But great attempt!

Dan (audiobomber):
Interesting picture, I am still not sure what I am looking at, but looks like art
Great high-key picture!
The tones represented in the histogram are predominantly in the right-hand side of the horizontal scale.
Great job!

sam1989:
Nice picture with a very strong contrast.
Not a real high-key picture though.
Lots of dark tones and this is also visible in the histogram, as it shows a high peak on the absolute left side.
But nice picture anyway!

Dan (DanLoc78):
Nice shoes
Nice picture, but I don’t think it is a real high-key picture,
as the tones represented in the histogram are nicely distributed along the horizontal scale.
But great you are still participating .

3rd Place Dan (audiobomber):

2nd Place Rob (robjmitchell):

1st Place Rense:

Congratulations Rense! You know the drill…
Views: 2,786
11-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Iris, thank you! Didn't expect it, to be honest! Congrats to Rob and Dan with their second and first.

And Iris, you had quite some job on this one. A technical subject, always hard to judge. You did very well, in my opinion (and that has nothing to do with me winning this one!)! Good explanation, clear decision points. Well done, thank you!
11-02-2010, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats to all 3 nice images. Iris good job on judging. You outed me-hard for me to dial that historogram that high.
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Rense, Rob, and Dan, and a superb job of judging, Iris! Dan, I can't wait to learn what it is you photographed -- all I can identify are sticks, but it's an intriguing and appealing photo.

11-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Rense. Rob, and Dan. And Iris, well done job of judging, I really enjoyed the comments on each one. It helps to learn about the high key method, which I'll admit I've never attempted before. I like all of these projects, but you thorough comments made it that much better. Thanks!
11-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Congratulations Rense. Rob, and Dan
Well judged Iris.
Thank you for you comments on my picture...being new at this this was the first I had heard of high key photography and it was great to know that I got it somewhat right in my photo.
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rense, Rob and Dan and thanks to Iris for such attentive judging. It was a challenge that pushes one's comfort zone but a very good experience.
-Joe

11-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners.
Iris, I think you did a fine job, but I have to disagree a little bit with you about the black on a high key. You are absolutely right about being too many greys in my shot, I'll redo this one when we've got snow, lets see if I can do it better than.
11-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats to the top 3 and nice job judging Iris. Way to critique each shot in detail!

You're totally right about mine, the histogram was pretty evenly distributed, with slight higher highlights than blacks. I didn't have a lot of time and I wanted to get back into the swing. I think my low key entry will be more representative of the theme
11-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Really nice jobs Rense, Rob, and Dan.
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Iris thanks of judging and your comments, very instructive, specially with this kind of rare projects, for me at least.
Dan, Rob and Rense congratulations.
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Well done Rense, Rob, and Dan, and a superb job of judging, Iris! Dan, I can't wait to learn what it is you photographed -- all I can identify are sticks, but it's an intriguing and appealing photo.
The photo shows an elongated white bowl with some twigs in it, on a coffee table with a spotchy mirrored top. The bowl and twigs were being used by my hobbyist decorator wife to hold some chocolate truffles. I dumped the truffles for the photo, because they had gaudy orange Halloween wrappers.

Thanks for the vote Iris. Congratulations Rob & Rense, I liked your photos a lot. I liked several of the photos, glad I didn't have to pick. I had a lot of fun doing this challenge and learning how to do high key photography (I've seen it, never tried it). My learning experience led me to start my Single in November album with another high key photo.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-03-2010 at 02:11 PM.
11-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw that one Dan!
It's very funny
11-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A bit late but congrats to dan and rense, and a big thank you to Iris for the wonderful judging