Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
P52-3-21 Light - Night - Winng Entires
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Judging these shots is very difficult, they all have their own merits, some may be technically better than others, some may be composed better than others, and so on. So I pretty much threw all of that out and went with what pleases me, you, know, you find yourself looking at them longer, going back and looking again, and after that, it's still hard! This could be completely different if I were to look at them tomorrow! Thanks to all involved for sharing these shots.

First, thanks to Rense for hosting and to Clou for providing inspirational samples!

Joe: Very nice church shot, I think you nailed the exposure, details are good, the tree inside shows up. The lights over the right side of the church and the sky add nice touches too.

Pete: Very cool looking flower, looks as though that would be difficult to get that right, and you did, I like that you have another partial flower to show a sense of more.

Jan: Nice use of the light reflected off of the snow. The shadows also give the scene some depth, too me this says cold.

Mark: A lot of color for a night scene. The plethora of different lights at different brightnesses had to make this a little challenging. I like the way the signs blend into the night sky and motion that the cars depict, as well as the "look down" the side street.

Lisa: You also met the challenge of capturing many different brightness levels of lighting. I particularly like that the larger lighs have "stars" while the smaller ones don't.

Wllm: Very nice narrow street scene. The various lights are handled nicely here too. The car and the two figures walking add so much interest to the photo.

Clou: An interesting look at empty space or geometric patterns. A bit of mystery is that the street lights are over dark space, gives it somewhat of an eerie mood.

Tamia: I'll have to admit I typically don't care much for window shots. This is different even without the holy and seasonal significance.. The lights coming through the stained glass casts colorful light and shadows onto the siding. But the icicles are the cool part of the photo for me.

Mike: Nice clear view of the streets below your hotel. The light stars set it off. I've been to Myrtle Beach, this must be really late to see the streets so deserted.

John: Nice crab's eye view of the beach! I don't think you could get a more dramatic view of hotels on a beach. We get to see sand,vegetation, the moon, and is that a jet trail on the lower right?

Rense: Well done shot of this tower, or two towers. I found myself trying to look it up on the internet to no avail. You'll have to educate us.

Iris: Another picture that says "cold" to me. This another one of those photos that has the key element of people, not many but enough. You've done a nice job of using the snow and ice as your reflector to get just enough light. I like the street, the shadows, and the motion of the cyclist.

Honorable Mention: Pete, Lisa, Iris

3rd:John (jheu02)

2nd: Wllm

1st Place: Mark (Bbluesman)

Views: 2,151
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey I won something- Thanks Tom and good job to Willem, John and all the other good entries. Night shots are challenging but very rewarding.
12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mark, congrats!!!! You won the judging job for the next P52!!!

Willem, John, also congratulated. And nice job judging Tom!
12-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Hey Mark, congrats!!!! You won the judging job for the next P52!!!

Willem, John, also congratulated. And nice job judging Tom!
I knew that was coming... Worked out good because I haven't entered and wasn't planning too

12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
I knew that was coming... Worked out good because I haven't entered and wasn't planning too
Tom must have known....
12-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Mark, Willem and John. Lots of great images in this challenge and I know that for many of us it was a another step outside the old comfort zone, which I supposed is one of the goals of Project 52.

-Joe
12-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the nod for third. No jet trails that I saw. This was actually a pre-dawn shot waiting for sunrise, so it was probably just a wisp of clouds. Congrats to the other winners and all the entrants.

12-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for judging, Tom. Congratulations winners! Beautiful and well deserved.
12-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Mark, also congrats to Willem and John.
Thanks for judging Tom and for the honorable mention
12-29-2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mark and John congratulations!
Tom thanks for judging this very nice challenge.
It was kind of new to me, but I like it very much and hope to do some more night lights in the future.
12-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Mark Wllm and John...nice work with the feedback and the judging Tom.
12-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats everyone, every picture I saw in this contest was a good one. I know Ramsey had a hard time judging.

Thanks for the Honorable Mention and for judging Ramsey.
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kudos to the winners!
There were many great entries to choose from - thanks to Tom for judging and commenting.