Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #32- Winners
Posted By: Eaglerapids, 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM

First off I want to thank everyone who participated in this challenge, we've seen some incredible photographs this week. This has been a very tough decision for me. I have little experience judging and there were many pictures that spoke to me and I had to push them down the list for one reason or another to get to three. That said, I think I've learned from this experience.

Number 3:
J. Scott's photo, a breathtaking view.

Number 2:
raz-0's photo, great composition, moody, a tough exposure handled very well, I love the light in this photo.

Number 1:
simonkit's photo Snowdon Reflection. He broke rule number 1 by submitting 2 photos, I warned him. But he did say "Here's my entry". Rules are rules but guys I cannot in good conscience deny this picture, I know he meant this picture. To me this is an extraordinary photograph. It breaks rules all over the place, itself. The line between land and water is dead center, the rock in the foreground is just durn near dead center. But the picture draws me in and won't let go. Here's a man who knows the rules and when to break them. Congrats simonkit, incredible photograph.

Views: 3,973
10-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Ed in GA

Congrats to the winners. Guess, on the next one, I'll enter two photos.
10-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners! I'm sure it was tough judging this week for sure. Many fine photos.
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats tothe winners. Overall congratulations to all entrants for a truly great gallery of photographs.

10-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to the winning entries and to Eaglerapids who had to pick from many amazing photos - the pressure's off you now! Looking forward to this week's challenge!
10-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks Eaglerapids - I feel honoured even being mentioned! Congrats to raz-0 and especially to Simonkit for his winning photo.

Bravo!
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats

Congrats to the winner!! These are some wonderful pics..

Great job Eaglerapids!!! You did well!!!!

10-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #8

Congrats Simonkit!

I thought last week was going to be tough to judge, but looking back, I'd say this week was even tougher! Great entries by everyone!

-Chris
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done all - the rest are tied for 4th Congrats to J. Scott, raz-0 and of course the winner simonkit all deserving - and nice job Eaglerapids this one had a lot of entries and tough choices.
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I knew when I picked that subject that there would be some great pictures but when push came to shove I felt uncomfortable picking from among them. There were so many very very good ones, how do you chose? How do you start eliminating them? I had trouble getting down to eight!
If I may let me use some examples. This could be a thread all to itself. "How to judge photographs"
I loved Peter's picture of the little town in Newfoundland. I thought the composition was awesome, it is an incredible photograph. How did Peter get to the spot from which he took the picture? Maybe that's a road from the town curving around to his spot (probably) or did he take a boat across and climb the cliff:-). How did the little town get there? Why? That must be some hardy living, I admire those people. But I had to move it down because I felt, rightly or wrongly, that the light was reversed. If the sun had been illuminating the little town rather than the cliff on the left...... well, who knows:-). It would have been strongly in the running for number 1.
Fletcherkane posted a very strong entry but I ruled against it because of the dark band of trees running through. They are not completely underexposed but at first glance they seem to be. At least on a monitor (mine is calibrated). If these were prints being judged that might be a different story. It hurt ruling that picture lower, great pic.
Dave Kitson's pic is outstanding, having to push it off the top three is the number one reason I will never ever go looking for a job judging. I love that pic.
Avantphoto's entry held the lead until later on in the challenge. Absolutely gorgeous photo, perfectly composed in my eyes, the plant caps the entire composition and ties it all together. Brilliant.
Then SCGushue's beautiful photo. That did it. His photo was sensory over load. Now we were getting to many types of pictures, sunsets, waterfalls. I had to drop sunsets and waterfalls right then or I never could have made a decision. I just don't know how to fairly decide between raz-0's or J.Scott's photos compared to Avant's or SCG's.
This is my failing.
I love these challenges. This week we traveled to many places across the globe. We may have never gotten to see The Blue Mountains of Australia (Bramela's pic) if not for this challenge. It has challenged my way of looking at photographs.
I want to thank all of you who took the time to enter this week and share and I want you to know that I valued all your entries.
Jim G
10-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Simon, as the winner it's now up to you to choose a new challenge and you get to judge:-).
10-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey cool, I got second.

I'll just say that J. Scott's was one of my favorites from the submissions.

Oh, and that the tough exposure was managed by green button plus bracketing with a couple EV adjustments for lots of coverage. Figured with 10 exposures, one should be right.
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for explanation..

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Thanks guys. I knew when I picked that subject that there would be some great pictures but when push came to shove I felt uncomfortable picking from among them. There were so many very very good ones, how do you chose? How do you start eliminating them? I had trouble getting down to eight!
If I may let me use some examples. This could be a thread all to itself. "How to judge photographs"
I loved Peter's picture of the little town in Newfoundland. I thought the composition was awesome, it is an incredible photograph. How did Peter get to the spot from which he took the picture? Maybe that's a road from the town curving around to his spot (probably) or did he take a boat across and climb the cliff:-). How did the little town get there? Why? That must be some hardy living, I admire those people. But I had to move it down because I felt, rightly or wrongly, that the light was reversed. If the sun had been illuminating the little town rather than the cliff on the left...... well, who knows:-). It would have been strongly in the running for number 1.
Fletcherkane posted a very strong entry but I ruled against it because of the dark band of trees running through. They are not completely underexposed but at first glance they seem to be. At least on a monitor (mine is calibrated). If these were prints being judged that might be a different story. It hurt ruling that picture lower, great pic.
Dave Kitson's pic is outstanding, having to push it off the top three is the number one reason I will never ever go looking for a job judging. I love that pic.
Avantphoto's entry held the lead until later on in the challenge. Absolutely gorgeous photo, perfectly composed in my eyes, the plant caps the entire composition and ties it all together. Brilliant.
Then SCGushue's beautiful photo. That did it. His photo was sensory over load. Now we were getting to many types of pictures, sunsets, waterfalls. I had to drop sunsets and waterfalls right then or I never could have made a decision. I just don't know how to fairly decide between raz-0's or J.Scott's photos compared to Avant's or SCG's.
This is my failing.
I love these challenges. This week we traveled to many places across the globe. We may have never gotten to see The Blue Mountains of Australia (Bramela's pic) if not for this challenge. It has challenged my way of looking at photographs.
I want to thank all of you who took the time to enter this week and share and I want you to know that I valued all your entries.
Jim G

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation!! It is always interesting to see why people pick the pictures they do. Sometimes someone sees something you dont or sometimes looks at a picture from a different specitvie..

It definately helps the learning process for me anyway!!

Just patiently waiting for Simon for the next challenge!!!

Kim
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

simonkit, are we taking the week off?
10-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am wondering too! What's happening this week, Simon ??