Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Project 52 3-26-Perspective-Low-Angle: Winners
Posted By: Manel Brand, 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM

First of all, thanks to all that have participated in the challenge https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13019...low-angle.html.
Secondly, please forgive me as I didn't have the time to do a more serious work on this. I don't care much for rules and formal principles of photography and rather prefer say something more straightforward as: I like it! or I don't like it! That would be enough for me. If you should disagree with my judgment, please appeal to Rense, as he will attend your demand to your content. Thank you.
A few words about the guide lines that were used to evaluate the images in contest.
We should all agree that the term "perspective" means "point of view," both literally and metaphorically.
In its literal sense, it means where we stand in relation to our subject and how that influence the appearance of it. Therefore, a low perspective should imply that we lie flat on the ground and look straight at eye level or upwards to frame the subject; any other surface that functions as a ground base, for instance, the top of a table should also be acceptable for that matter.
In the metaphorical sense, it means how we feel about the subject. When we talk about perspective metaphorically, it means how we perceive a subject, not just spatially, but aesthetically, emotionally, even morally. This type of perspective requires that we comprehend our subject enough to have an opinion or idea about it . . . and that we have the technical skill and creativity to convey that opinion or idea to others. This is the most difficult aspect to judge and a great deal of subjectivity is involved.

These to senses of the word perspective will be referred subsequently as A. for where we stand and B. for how we feel. I hope this make some sense to you.

#1 Untitled, by ramseybuckeye
A. You did well and the perspective conforms to what the theme demands.
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed your feelings about your (lovely) dog and we (the viewers) are certainly in tune with your emotions, unless they don't care for dogs (shame on them); the only serious flaw I would point relates to sharpness; as you know for sure, at least the dog's eyes should have been tack sharp to achieve a more engaging image.

#2 Untitled, by Voytech
A. You did well and no objective infraction to the rules; however, you may agree that we only know that's a low perspective shot, because we recognize the subject as a shower-head and we perceive it as being pending from the ceiling, but it could be as well in a point of view near the floor and the shot taken from a top-bottom perspective; therefore, it lacks true perspective (because we need to relate to some extra knowledge, rather than what the shot conveys by itself).
B. You may agree also that you could certainly find a more, emotionally speaking, interesting subject; that's a shot with some formal value but (somehow) lacking content.

#3 It's a dog's life..., by John
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed a feeling about how low a dog's life can be; we are drawn by the perspective of the shot and amused by the humorous nature of its title; the only thing the photo is lacking, so to speak, it's an actual dog performing the alluded action; that would be perfect.

#4 Untitled, by jaymiz
A. Well, I don't think low perspective would apply to the photo; more of a close-up, since the main subject is the text on the game board, that couldn't be read if a real low perspective was used; a clean and well done capture, but not as low as it should be.
B. I'm amused by the funny content of the shot, so it's successful in this part; not sure if others will agree with me on this.

#5 As low as I could get, by Rense
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed a feeling of praise by physical activity expressed by the body language of the subjects; I do sympathize with people like the ones that are portrayed, meaning an interest in outdoor activity, rather than pay to get fit on a gym; also, it's always inspiring seeing older people with a confident and positive attitude towards life, as conveyed by their facial expressions.

#6 Untitled, by Ubuntu_user
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed your affection and care by your (fine) guitar; however, the perspective could be more engaging if the guitar were outside the case and more in a upwards position, as it would be in a stand, so we could have a more complete vision of it.

#7 Untitled, by Nomad
B. You did alright... I guess; you have effectively conveyed a sense of a heavyweight, prehistoric monstrosity creature (perhaps of a tyrant lizard, T-Rex?); however the shot could have been improved by a bigger DOF, so we could have a better perception of the beast details; the shallow DOF of the shot doesn't work particularly well for me.

#8 Untitled, by bbluesman
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed a feeling of emptiness on a urban alley, but I find it difficult to see the subject of the shot, so the meaning is quite absent to me; nevertheless, that's a shot that would fit quite well in a cover album for a blues band, so I get your point; some cool text in the lower section of the image and you are right on the money.

#9 Untitled, by RollsUp
A. Not sure if the perspective conforms to what the theme demands; the lack of a distinct feature in the foreground turns it hard to tell; looks like a shot that could be taken standing upright on your feet, pointing straight at eye level; I may be wrong but that's what comes to my mind.
B. You did alright, but take in account what was said before; you have effectively conveyed a sense of a unforgiving climatic condition; I feel a shivering going down my spine just by looking to all that ice; nevertheless, a beautiful and interesting shot, as I see it in the comfort of my (warm) home studio.

#10 Untitled, by Rob
B. You did well also; you have adequately conveyed some sense of the sheer magnitude of the London Eye; however, I find that the aesthetic perspective could have been improved by a bigger FOV, as given by a wide angle lens; not much of emotion in the shot, but interesting nevertheless.

#11 Waiting for a Lift, by Tamia
B. You did well also; you have adequately conveyed a sense of abandon and unemployment; they remind me of my own dumbbells lying on the floor waiting for a lift; I find the crop a little tight, removing some of the wider perspective that I would expect from a shot like this; nevertheless, a good example of a low perspective shot.

#12 Untitled, by Eddie
A. You did well and no objective infraction to the rules; however, you may agree that we only know that's a low perspective shot, because we assume the subject as a wall by reading the description you gave on the comment that followed your entry.
B. Again, as I've said regarding Voytech's shot, you may agree also that you could certainly find a more, emotionally speaking, meaningful subject; that's a shot with enough formal value but (somehow) lacking content; that would fit well on some abstract theme thread as an interesting composition of intersecting lines and shapes.

#13 Untitled, by jmschrei
B. You may agree that you could certainly find a more, aesthetically and emotionally speaking, interesting subject; IMO, that's a shot that lacks both formal value and content; you need to try harder next time.

#14 The floor from the floor, by Susan
A. Not sure if it's a low perspective shot; looks like a shot from top to bottom, although from a relative low angle; theoretically, it should be impossible to shoot the floor from a low perspective; that's an interesting question that should be addressed, perhaps in another discussion.
B. You may agree that you could easily find a more, aesthetically and emotionally speaking, interesting subject, for instance, your cat or another subject lying around at home; IMO, that's a shot that somehow lacks both formal and content value; I suppose there's a underlying meaning in this image, mainly inferred by the comment on your submission post; nevertheless, if you allow me, we should always try to go for a more universal meaning, as it may rapture more effectively a broader audience; on the other hand, as I've said, I find the title very interesting.

#15 me, by Iris
A. You did well and the perspective conforms to what the theme demands; nevertheless, you could have used more upward orientation, by a simple elevation of the position where you stand; using a pair of pillows for instance, would give it a more low perspective orientation.
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed a feeling of tenderness, as I see someone given to sympathy or sentimentality, qualities that, by themselves, are always interesting from a photographic standpoint; I've some objections, so to speak, regarding composition; I'm not so sure about the cropped hands and face; I would rather give more frame space to the referred elements and crop instead on the wall and floor to the left.

#16 Untitled, by Virgil
A. Not sure if the perspective conforms to what the theme demands; the lack of distinct features turns it hard to tell; in other words, too abstract for me to judge objectively.
B. Again, you may agree that you could easily find a more, aesthetically and emotionally speaking, interesting subject; IMO, that's a shot that has some formal value but lacks content.

#17 Untitled, by Clou
B. You did well also; you have successfully conveyed a feeling of dimension and superiority that is required by those who speak in the name of the almighty; however, you should have made the shot closer to the subject, excluding the blown-out windows from the frame; also a less slanted perspective could work better.

#18 Eastern Religion, by Tim
A. You did well and the perspective conforms to what the theme demands; nevertheless, you could have gone for a lower angle.
B. You did well also; you have adequately conveyed a sense of a ill-tempered deity; again, a slightly lower perspective would have increased the viewer's emotion of fear, and accentuated the vision of a wrathful deity, looking down to us, inferior sinners asking for forgiveness. Interesting and well done shot.

And the winners are:

First Place: #18 Eastern Religion, by Tim

Second Place: #5 As low as I could get, by Rense

Third Place: #15 me, by Iris

If you want to to look at the photos of the winners and contenders, please look here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13019...low-angle.html

Congratulations to the winners and to all who have participated in the challenge.

Tim, you will be judging the next challenge: P52-3-27 Perspective - Wide.

Please, check it out here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13109...tive-wide.html

Last edited by Manel Brand; 02-05-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Views: 4,277
02-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very specific and helpful criteria, Manel- great job of judging and congrats to Tim, Rense and Iris!

Seems to be a theme for me, lately: winter brings out my abstract side I guess. Tired of making images of what is obviously there and looking for ways of seeing that are only there through the lens from a different perspective. Forgetting the emotional component, as it were.
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very good judging, great job! Like your second criterium!!! Thanks Manel!!

Tin congrats with the first, and Iris with the third... Second again....hmmmmm.....
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done Tim, Rense, and Iris! Nice job Manel, very good constructive critical comments on all the entries.

02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tim, Rense and Iris. Good job with the judging Manel

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Second again....hmmmmm.....
Well Rense, as a former squadron's operations officer used to like to say, "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant." That was an alternate title, but I didn't think many would get it.

Manel, the reason the dog wasn't part of the pic was it was taken from his/her perspective, hence the B/W conversion.
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Thanks Manel, I hope to do as good of a job judging this weeks contest. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries for the wide angle theme.

Tim
02-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Tim, Rense, and Iris. Excellent job judging, Manel, and thanks for your comments. Well done.

02-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Well Rense, as a former squadron's operations officer used to like to say, "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant." That was an alternate title, but I didn't think many would get it.

Manel, the reason the dog wasn't part of the pic was it was taken from his/her perspective, hence the B/W conversion.
02-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
OK, but dogs have buddys too... Also not sure if dogs only see B&W

Cheers
02-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

good job Manel. I agree mine needed the explanation I was pushed for time unfortunately and it was the only shot of the week i liked for this. It is in the abstracts thread as you know
congrats to everyone some good work here
02-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to all the winners, Tim, Rense and Iris. Manel, you did a great job of judging and thanks for the comments on all the entries. I find them very helpful.
02-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Manel for judging this contest, you did a great job!
Congratulations Tim and Rense.

I agree on your comments regarding my picture...It wasn't a crop, just bad framing

Last edited by Iris; 02-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie, Susan and Iris.

Glad I didn't messed up too much... Tamia "framed" me quit well, on the other hand!
02-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well done guys.

Thanks for judging - only had the M50/1.4 with me so no WA!
02-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Thanks for judging - only had the M50/1.4 with me so no WA!
Ah! I see, quite a fantastic lens. Well done Rob. See you in the next round.

Cheers