Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
P52-3-27 Perspective - Wide Winners!
Posted By: tim.anderson, 02-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting the results up, I tend to be pretty busy, and this is the first time I have ever been asked to judge photos so I wanted to try and do a good job. Below are some comments on each photo and I have

SpecialK – I like the colors, and I think the statue on the left of the frame really works to hold the photo. Definitely incorporates a wide open feel.

Atupdate – Tim, I love the use of light in this photo. The B&W processing was done well. Additionally I know how tough the lighting can be there in Dayton. It is hard to tell from the photo the use of wide angle, there is very little to gain the sense of perspective from the background.

Jheu02 – John, I like the conversion and it is a nice scene. This shot makes me feel like I’m in a wide open space.

Rense – Wonderful exposure, while not a big outdoor space this shot gives a great perspective on the field of view of the lens that was used.

Tamia – I think this was very well exposed for the snow and light.

Ramseybuckeye – Tom, I love the composition and feel of this shot, it definitely nails the wide theme.

Tsukiouji – I like the creativity in this, if the intent is what I think it is, a portrait of a wide angle range finder.

Clou – A wonderful scene, I am impressed at how good the overall exposure is even with the sun in the frame.

Manel – I like how the sunset presented in this photo, I almost want the angle to be a little lower to maybe put a horizon, or a deeper background into the shot.

Iris – I like the use of B&W here, I also tend to use it to spice up an otherwise dull sky. Also the small angle corner that allows you to look down two streets at once gives this a wider feel than your lens itself was capable of.

jmschrei – Nice idea, I think a B&W conversion would help the sky out, and maybe bumping up the ISO as well to increase shutter speed in order to freeze the cars a little better.

MikeS – Mike, another indoor use of the wide angle lens, I think it would show better if there was more background that came through. As it is there is very little subject to fill the frame.

RollsUp – I like the detail on the iceberg, it is probably hard not to overexpose those things.

And the winners are:
First Place – Rense
Second Place – Ramseybuckeye
Third Place – Iris

Congratulations to the winners and if you want to review the photos here is the link
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13109...tive-wide.html

Great shots everyone, it was a pleasure to judge the theme this week.

Tim
Views: 2,208
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tim, Thanks for taking the time to judge. Rense, beautiful bar shot, I hope you gave the bar a copy to hang! Iris, I love that shot, great comp and character!
02-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great job with the comments and judging Tim. I haven't shot that many wide angle shots and the winners made this challenge into a great tutorial.

Congratulations Rense, Ramsey, and Iris.

Tim
02-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to Rense, Tom and Iris.

Finally Rense, you got your first; well deserved.

Good work Tim.

Cheers.

02-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense, Tom, and Iris. Well done Tim!
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners. Tim you did a great job judging.
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tim for judging and the third place!
Congratulations Rense (finally ) and Tom (thanks for your kind words).

02-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, great, thank you Tim, I did not expect to be first in this one...
Tom and Iris, congrats too!

And thanks for the congrats, especially Manel and Iris...
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Congratulations to Rense, Tom and Iris.

Finally Rense, you got your first; well deserved.

Good work Tim.

Cheers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
Thanks Tim for judging and the third place!
Congratulations Rense (finally ) and Tom (thanks for your kind words).
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rense on a fine entry! No longer the bridesmaid, finally the bride, er, bridegroom! And congrats to Iris and Tom too. My life has not allowed much photography lately but I am determined to try to enter at least something every week this year.

-Joe
02-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winners. Good job on judging, Tim.