Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winner Weekly Challenge #160-Schrooms
Posted By: slowpez, 03-13-2011, 08:28 AM

This one was too difficult to judge. I had so many winners at one point that I almost had to just let you all share the win. I do want to thank all of you who participated; it is your fault I had such a hard time judging.
Anyhow, for what it is worth here are my comments on each entry with the winners noted at the end.

Tamia: a veritable mountain of schrooms with drops of water to dress them like jewels. The lower right seemed a little dark on my monitor but a good effort anyhow.

Bramela (Bruce): your cups runneth over and you captured a lovely, lazy, backwards "C" that kept the eye traveling through the frame.

jheu: your little babies were so nice. The shallow Dof made this one a standout for me.

Arjay: the orange, yellow and greens made this one. All the flies indicate that it must have come with an awful odor to compliment its beauty.

Manel: I really liked the simplicity of color and texture you captured here. The hint of light was an added bonus.

jmschrei (Joe): your schroom clings to the tree like an umbrella. The blue of the sky sets off the gray tones.

ramseybuckeye (Tom); you found a lonely little one among lots of amazing green moss. Good eye.

photolady (Mar): a huge clump that looks almost good enough to eat. The yellow looks a little oversaturated on my monitor but a worthy effort.

Voytech: these reminded me of a line of lady's hats for some reason. Your managed to capture the texture of the wood and the B&W suited them nicely. I only wish that the focus had been more on the schrooms though.

NaClH2O (Salty): snowy schrooms, I don't think I have ever seen them in those conditions. Nice capture.

Casil (Lisa): love the colors and lines you captured. The shadow under the log in the left corner bothers me some but the schroom looks like a beautiful skirt for a woodland creature.

geauxpez: the partially eaten remnant makes you wonder if it was sampled and found wanting. The subtle pinkish/red and lovely background make this one.

sealonsf: another beautiful B&W. The DOF kept the emphasis on the highlighted schroom while providing a beautiful blurred background. Maybe a touch more contrast but what's not to like.

noelcmn: glad you resisted the urge to eat these beauties. You managed to capture them without completely blowing out the highlight on the smaller one. Difficult to do.

xjjohnno: now that's a mess of schrooms we can all sit down and enjoy. I longed to see a big white one in one of the thirds of the frame to set them off however.

Honorable Mention: Arjay

3rd Place: Manel

2ond place: sealonsf

1st Place: jheu

Views: 2,391
03-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations John, sealonsf, Manel and Arjay. Thanks to Susan for the challenge and for judging.

-Joe
03-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done John, sealonsf, Manel and Arja! Nice challenge you put together Susan, and an excellent job of judging.
03-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Susan for an interesting creative theme and for judging. Sometimes I'm almost leery of entering for fear that I'll win and have to judge the next week, but if I do have a shot that fits I almost always enter. Judging is hard but it stretches me.
Congratulations to John and all the other winners. Some very nice and creative shots.

NaCl(now off to lunch and a shroom and sausage pizza!)H2O

03-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was a super contest, Susan -- thanks for the great theme. It was fun to see everyone's entries. Congrats to John, sealonsf, Manel and Arjay. Well done.
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to all winners! Thanks for judging and comments Susan.
03-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Totally unexpected. Congrats to the other winners and entrants. Wonderful selection of fungi. Now I need to go thru the list and try to pick out a new topic.

03-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow -- real beauties here. Congrats to all!
03-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all, especially to the other winners, jheu, sealonsf and Arjay.

Thanks to Susan for judging and comment.