Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Project 52 P52-3-41 Home - Backyard WINNERS!
Posted By: Tamia, 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM

First of all, thanks to all who entered photos this week. Rep points all round for the effort.

The task was to shoot a photo in or of your backyard. "Backyard" can be the land you own, or it can someone else's or public space. I often write about the rewards of appreciating and exploring one's backyard, meaning the familiar open spaces nearby, the close-to places which daily influences our mood and outlook, and where we seek to find a bit of calm in our day. So, now you know what my view of backyard is, and that this is what informed my point of view when evaluating your photos. I'm looking for a feeling of that appreciated and influential open space, whether cultivated, wild, or somewhere in between.

Though there were only seven entries for this week's P52, judging was no easier than if there had been many more photos. As usual there's a degree of subjectivity when judging, and because these photos are technically good, subjectivity enters into the decision even more. So here goes, in the order of submission:

Joe [jmshrei]: You achieved your goal of capturing a dreamy quality of budding spring after the long winter. I find the green colors appealing against the muted earth tones, though the framework of your garden is so much out of focus that I wouldn't have guessed what it was if you hadn't said. Overall an attractive photo.

Rob [rob1234]: A very successful attempt at the Brenizer method (well done!). The setting of your back garden is evident, and the subject is in no doubt. I really like the colors, the dappled sunlight, and the out of focus elements in the background. Good job conveying a sense of backyard.

Julio [Jools]: The textures in the foreground, the colors, and the OOF but recognizable background make for an attractive photo. Your birds are lucky -- the bread looks good enough to eat! I really like this glimpse of your backyard as seen from the perspective of a hungry sparrow. It's as if the viewer is given an invitation to come on in, and an opening to a welcoming place.

Shooz: Well done capture of the textures and subtle shading of the white blooms. Highlight and golden bokeh enhance the artistic appeal of your photo. A sense of "backyard" is a bit difficult to sense, though the photo is a successful and appealing one.

Noel [noelcmn]: Though your own yard is small, this is a tantalizing view from your bedroom -- greenery near and far, and a view through the buildings to a distant vista. I can imagine standing at the window and daydreaming, which in my view is one purpose of a backyard.

Mar [Photolady]: A backyard is complete if there's a squirrel in it . A sense of "backyard" is conveyed by your photo, a place to relax and contemplate, but also a place for the wild critters who share our spaces. I like how the squirrel is eyeing you as he (she?) drinks, and also how the belly is tinted red from reflected light off the birdbath. (I'd love to know more about how you made the birdbath.)

John [jhue02]: Lush indeed, a lovely setting and a credit to your gardening skills. Your photo nicely conveys a sense of "backyard," a place to relax and contemplate. Nicely composed, with appealing dabs of color. The PVC frame even adds to the photo, I think. (Good luck with the blueberries!) Well done.

Now to the winners, beginning with...

Third Place: Rob/rob1234

Second Place: John/jhue02

First Place (and winner of next week's judging task): Julio/Jools

Views: 2,061
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the 2nd place nod and congrats also to Rob and Jools. This was actually a more difficult task than I at first thought...trying to figure out the best way to present. Nice job with the judging Tamia.
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Mar [Photolady]: A backyard is complete if there's a squirrel in it . A sense of "backyard" is conveyed by your photo, a place to relax and contemplate, but also a place for the wild critters who share our spaces. I like how the squirrel is eyeing you as he (she?) drinks, and also how the belly is tinted red from reflected light off the birdbath. (I'd love to know more about how you made the birdbath.)
Thanks for the comments Tamia.

And congrats to the winner!!
Congrats to the 2nd and 3rd places too.

My birdbath is no more than a dip/chip tray I found at a Goodwill store for $.50. I took a dremel tool and drilled a hole in the center of the dip part, then used a screw with silicone and screwed that to a 4x4 board, the board is buried two feet in the ground. The silicone is non-toxic, so won't hurt the birds or squirrels, and it seals the edges of the screw head to keep water from leaking out.
05-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for judging Tamia and for your comments. It was nice to see others' yards. Mine is slowly greening and I even put the heated birdbath away!

Congratulations Jools, John and Rob - great shots all of them!

05-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to John and Rob.
Many thanks Tamia for judging.
Great job by the rest of the P 52 participants.
Onto next week's judging. Let's bring it on.
05-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Jools, John and Rob. That bread does look good to eat, even for me