Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners: Weekly challenge #165 - "Trick photography"
Posted By: RXrenesis8, 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Good morning! I will be critiquing the entries in the order in which they were recieved.

As stated the winners will be chosen based on thier fantasticality (TM) and thier impossibility to see to the human eye.

woof - Very interesting, if I hadn't payed attention I would have completely missed the swirling bubbles in real life, and in a picture with a shutter length of <1 second I would have been hard pressed to tell that there was any motion there at all. The scene is vibrant, I want to be there!

Clou - Looks like someone is having a laser beam battle out of frame with this one!

NaClH2O - Very subtle, unassuming subject matter. You say you boosted the saturation in post, I applaud you for keeping the surroundings looking natural! As for the rainbow/bench combo I would have loved to see something that fit with a rainbow, maybe a child or puppy or such, but as this wasn't discovered until after the shoot I can understand why that was not possible.

philbaum - Your head in a pantry, This is very well composed and lit for such a small space! (and you know, shooting yourself). Your expression is also priceless!

Tamia - The etherial people, the paper lamps, and the wooden building make a great combination.

Arjay Bee - I have seen this kind of shot a lot before, and it never really looses it's charm. Sort of conjurs up feelings of "hyperspace" and whatnot!

MRRiley - Aah, here it is, the classic double exposure, and you kept it on a tripod and shot the same scene to make the person appear transparent is my guess. The starburst on the lamps only adds to the scene. Very well done sir!

sam1989 - Looks like the portrait of a vodoo mask. He's projecting his face at you to eat your soul! or somesuch.

Digitalis - Another classic technique, with the word "focus" and everything! Very well executed.

lnorton - Wow, I've played around with about 30 seconds of exposure on water, but never 4-5 minutes. It's really, really, glass-like. Smooth as butter, and the clouds don't hurt from this either!

jheu02 - Very vibrant and awesome colors, it looks more to me like the Iris is some sort of ship landing on the Lily.

MikeS - Very good work, another classic by way of camera/subject orientation. The rocks were a perfect place to do this, it really looks like a cliff! I must also compliment your friend (you?) that pose is not an easy one!

xs400 - Extremely abstract and tumultuous. The trees are flowing like water!

13 submissions, thank you all for participating! This was really fun watching all of your entries, I wish I could have participated. You certainly didn't make it easy for me to pick the winners!

3rd: MRRiley, with: Ghostly Wanderer...

2rd: jheu02, with: Irily...

1st: philbaum, with: In the Pantry...

Congratulation to the winners, and a slightly lesser amount of congratulations to all of the other contestants (or losers , colloquially )

philbaum, please step into the hot-seat!

Last edited by RXrenesis8; 05-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Views: 2,084
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners.

RXrenesis8, nice job judging. Thanks for the kind words, and the great job judging. Great result!

Tamia, I really liked your entry very, very much.

woof!
05-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Big thanks to RXrenesis8 for the judging and comments on all the pictures. I will try to do as well.

I liked the submissions in the previous challenge and was a bit dismayed this time around to find out i was "working" and not submitting this time

The new challenge is posted and its "alleyways", hope you all can participate.

Phil
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you liked my "hybrid" and congrats to the other winners. Fun theme.

05-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for a great job of running this challenge RXrenesis8. And congrats to Phil and jheu02 (and everyone else... nice set of submissions) on their shots.

As for mine it was a simple setup. The ambient light allowed a very very long exposure and I had my model walk into the scene from the corner and I set off a small flash when he reached the right spot in the frame.

Mike
05-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks for a great job of running this challenge RXrenesis8. And congrats to Phil and jheu02 (and everyone else... nice set of submissions) on their shots.

As for mine it was a simple setup. The ambient light allowed a very very long exposure and I had my model walk into the scene from the corner and I set off a small flash when he reached the right spot in the frame.

Mike
Mike, i liked your sidewalk ghost a lot, and Tamia's as well!! nicely done.
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that was a fun contest

Thanks RX for a great topic and even greater judging. I appreciated the comments.
Congrats to Mike, John and Phil.

NaCl(looking forward to this week's contest)H2O

05-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners. Very interesting/diverse interpretations on this. Good on judging and comments, Phil!

Oh, and the subject's a friend of mine. Got some other weird ones with him, too...