Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge #169 The Moon
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting this challenge up. I did not realize I needed to put up the next challenge, and then we had a small fire in the house to further delay.

Weekly challenge #169 The Moon

The title could be a little confusing, because I want to see photos that have the moon in them, not photos of the moon. The moon does not have to be the central theme of the photo but the moon has to add something to the scene. You may already have a stunning photo of a moonrise or cloud streaked moon over a mountain. If not, find the moonrise and moonset times for your location and get creative. The link takes you to the US Naval Observatory site which calculates tables for US cities and towns and worldwide locations via latitude and longitude. There are other websites with these calculators, I just use this one quite a bit.

This challenge will end 6/22 at midnight your time. To get back on track we will start another challenge this weekend.

The fine print....
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread, and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose 1 of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days and end 6/22 at midnight your time.
7. Any Pentax camera will do or a Samsung DSLR.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 06-18-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Views: 4,353
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you going to judge this contest if you're posting all the best shots?

06-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
How are you going to judge this contest if you're posting all the best shots?

Thanks Jeff, but these are just throwing a bone out and bumping the thread, I know you and others can do better. I'm glad I'm not competing, We've got storms going through right now. That would take real creativity!

We've got some good entries now, but I would love to see more, remember, these can come from any time frame.
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks Jeff, but these are just throwing a bone out and bumping the thread, I know you and others can do better. I'm glad I'm not competing, We've got storms going through right now. That would take real creativity!

We've got some good entries now, but I would love to see more, remember, these can come from any time frame.
Storms here too. Haven't seen the night sky in a few days when I tried and things just weren't cooperating. Blurry pics of the moon never impress anyone. Doesn't matter now anyway. Something happened to corrupt the files and they are gone.

06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's a shame, I corrupted nearly a card full last year when I forgot to format a new card. A few were useful but lost several. That was at Yellowstone. Luckily they were not the best shots (I can see the thumbnails) but I'd still like to have them. I've kept the files just in case I ever find something that can read them, probably won't happen though.

It can be tough getting the moon to not blur, hard to get that exposure right. I've had the best luck when the moon rises before dusk and is still low on the horizon. It's actually closer and appears bigger, and then use a telephoto and compress the view. When it all works, it can come out pretty decent. Actually it is pretty cool when the sun is setting behind you. I planned that railroad shot for a while, right moon, right angle, and right weather, still didn't hit it. I think I could have accepted it had there been a train in the distance +

06-21-2011, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I took this in 1994, with a Pentax P3n, not sure what lens. I had it developed as a Photo CD. The church is near Acoma, NM.

06-22-2011, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine, moonrise, sunset clouds and low tide all in one.

NaCl(one of the few shots with the DA 50-200 that I really like)H2O
06-22-2011, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #22

18-55, Çankırı/Turkey
06-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Winners are poster here.