Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #172 - "Tree Study" WINNERS
Posted By: Tamia, 07-13-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm overwhelmed by the enthusiastic response to this challenge. A big welcome to all the new participants, and many thanks to everyone who took part! We have almost enough photos here to fill the pages of a photobook. (Now THERE'S an idea!)

Trees are obviously a subject many of us never tire of photographing. Every tree is unique, every tree is a giver of life (even after it dies), and each tree has a value in and of itself, as an individual. In my instructions for this challenge, I was hoping for a celebration of the character of trees, and wanted to see photos that revealed something special about a tree. Everyone submitted excellent photos that fit the theme, and choosing a winner has been very difficult, the most difficult I've ever had to judge. I'd hang every one of these photos on my wall. As always, there's a large element of subjectivity when picking only one as the winner, especially when on technical grounds they're all worthy. But it has to be done, so without further delay, here's what I think in order of submission. The winners are at the end:

Tim/Atupdate: Beautiful minimalist capture with is very appealing. You caught the texture and subtle shading of the snow, and this emphasizes the tree's form.

Doug/WiseOx: I can't get enough of the beauty of a tree's complex of limbs, branches, and twigs, and I very much like the darkness and contrast in your photo, which highlights the trees' reaching branches.

Noel/noelcmn: Your entry "Christmas is Coming" is simple and elegant, with exquisite detail, color and lighting. I like how you isolated the cone and branch against the dark background, and find the crystalline drips of sap on the cone to be a particularly nice touch. Your other photo, "No Hugging my Bough!", is also very appealing in every way. It reminds me of a lizard's skin for some reason!

Rob/rob1234: Your photo soothes and comforts, so I can see why it appealed after a hard day. I love the starkness and that there's a light beyond each pair of trees, emphasizing their form. Each larger tree seems to be embracing the neighboring smaller tree (or shrub). Lovely.

sealonsf: I like how the mist softens the tree's outline, which makes for a beautiful photo that's also well composed. An excellent portrait of a lush, lovely tree.

Woof: Ah, a landscape I know well and love. You're right that the pine makes this scene, and you certainly capture its character very well. (I guess you could say you saw the tree for the forest .)

Graham V: Autumn is one of my favorite times to photograph trees, and your shot captures the ephemeral beauty of the season to perfection. The vivid warm colors as a backdrop to the gnarly wood makes a stunning photo that emphasizes two of the maple's characteristics -- color and texture. There's even a story here. Dead wood in the foreground against thriving, living trees beyond. Well done.

Robin/rparmar: What a story, Robin! I like the textures and spreading nature of the nearby tree, and the antiquity of the setting seems to emphasize the long-lived nature of many trees. Definitely worth nearly killing yourself for this shot .

Jeff/JeffJS: Well spotted, Jeff! Very anthropomorphic. Beautiful colors and texture. It's as if the tree is cheering or celebrating its (her?) treeness This tree (a pine?) certainly has personality.

Voytech: The old warrior (maple?) is exerting its determination to be free and unencumbered. Great detail in the bark, too. I like this a lot.

Joaquin/Yehoyaqim: Welcome aboard, Joaguin! Very nice entry. Composition, colors, and the choice of a limited depth of field all make an appealing photo. Well done.

Mike L: Nicely portrayed details of what is to me an exotic tree. Lovely in every respect.

Salty/NaClH2O: Gorgeous magnolias, Salty. A sign of fruitfulness, vivaciousness, and blossoming life. Stunning. Your first "for show only" shadow photo is very appealing also. What a fine canopy that is well emphasized by the wide angle lens. And "tenacity" is great, too. Don't you love how trees can split rock?

Joe/jmschrei: Aspen is one of my favorites, too, Joe. Wonderful shot of these amongst the conifers. You've captured the trees as they were developing the rougher bark more mature aspens acquire. Terrific.

Lisa/casil403: Wonderful capture, Lisa. These trees are holding fast despite the rigor of the climate and altitude. They're surely shaped by the conditions where they grow, and have considerable character as a result. The clouds enhance the portrayal, as does the monochrome treatment.

LaurenOE: An incredible complexity of roots very well portrayed. I very much like the composition, with the roots spreading out through the frame from the upper left corner. This must be an amazing tree. Super job.

Rense: Many of my favorite subjects are elements in your photo, Rense -- fog, water, low light, reflections, minimalism, and of course, trees. Such impressive trees they are, too. To a degree, the fence posts (being the product of trees) help to emphasize the importance of trees. Lovely.

Bruce/Bramela: Imaginative it is, Bruce! I'm not sure how you achieved the painterly appearance, but the the colors and texture are stunningly beautiful.

Paul/Oldschool: Sublime colors and wonderful sharpness on the nearby leaves/branch. You've captured the bittersweet nature of trees in autumn, when they're poised between the growing season and the long period of dormancy. Very appealing.

Shooz: A lovely spreading tree, the largest there among others of its kind. I love the textures of the bark and leaves, and just know this spot thrives with birds. Wonderful.

Dannyial: Wonderful capture of a beautiful stand of this thriving stand of trees. Textures and colors are fabulous. Well done.

Adam/amvic: Very well seen and depicted. This magnificent tree (a beech?) refuses to give up. It even appears to be reaching out, and what's in its palm but a new tree. Wonderful!

Michael/Clou: Tenacity and strength are the words which come to mind when looking at the exposed roots of this tree. The canopies of other trees are a backdrop show a thriving hedgerow or woods, and the nearby tree's roots are harboring a sapling. Beautiful.

SpecialK: Bristlecone pines are amazing trees and I've never seen one in person, but I am in awe at their longevity and tenacity. They're aesthetically appealing, and you captured a terrific prospect, with beautiful texture and colors. And look, it is still alive. I find myself imagining what this tree has witnessed in its long life. Well done.

RollsUp: You might not have trees there at the Arctic Circle, but when you found some you got a great shot! I love how the snow clings to the trees and softly outlines them. This shot is a display of the perseverance of trees, their ability to survive harsh conditions and continue to thrive. Very nice.

Greentree: Welcome to the forum, and an excellent choice for your first post! The reflections enhance the beauty and complexity of the trees in this flooded area, and the green reflection suggests living trees in the background. Lovely spot which I'm sure is alive with birds and animals.

Tom/Ramseybuckeye: Your caption captures my own thoughts about trees, and your photo fits the theme very well. Here is a beautiful tree in its own right, a strong matriarch which no doubt has been home for many generations of birds (see the possible nest hole in the limb in upper right) as well as the raccoon living in the hollowed limb. The tree is a safe place that will keep the animal alive even in rough winter weather. Excellent.

Crazyinmaine: Terrific colors and an abstract quality in this detail shot of the tree's scarred bark. Here again is the tree as giver of life in providing food to the woodpecker, who in turn helps rid the tree of its parasites. I just love the colors of this photo.

And now the winners:

Third Place: SpecialK

Second Place: Adam/amvic

First Place: Tom/Ramseybuckeye -- the next host for the Weekly Challenge, #173

Everyone elses' photos really have to be considered honorable mentions, not a dud among them. Thanks everyone for so many portrayals of trees.
Views: 6,197
07-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to SpecialK, Adam/amvic and Tom. And a special thanks to Tamia for both the theme and the effort in judging. A most fun contest.

NaCl(looking forward to the next installment)H2O
07-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comments and congrats to the others.
07-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Congratulations to all the winners!!!!!
Thanks Tamia, for getting me more interested in even more plant life!

07-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Congrats to the winners! Well done. Thanks for the steady hand at judging Tamia.

Regards,

woof!
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners!
07-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tom (Rumseybuckeye) Adam (Amvic) and SpecialK, worthy winners every one. Thanks Tamia for your excellent judging and choice of theme. It has indeed been an exciting and fun challenge. Now for the next one!

07-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent entries from all and really thorough judging. Pleasure to take part in this challenge.
07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent photos, one and all. Congrats to the three selected entries, and very worthy of recognition too.

I think a special thanks to Tamia is in order. A very well done job Tamia and I like your commentary and comments as well.
07-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tamia, I enjoyed reading your words on all of the trees, I know you have a love for trees and it comes through. Congratulations to Kyle and Adam. Lots of great photos of beautiful trees here!
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weekly Challenge 173 is now up, and the subject is TOOLS
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks Tamia for the kind comments and mega extra special bonus points for taking the time to comment on everyone's entries!
Congrats to to all the winners and yes everyone deserved and HO on this as they were all great images.
07-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Tamia, thanks for hosting a great contest and taking the time to comment on every entry. There were many great shots, you had a difficult job. Congratulations to all the winners.
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #14

Tamia, thanks for the comments. i really enjoyed all the entries, thanks for sharing and congrats to the winners too.
07-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Tom, Adam and SpecialK! Thanks for a great challenge Tamia and the thoughtful comments on each entry. The idea that this would make a great collection for a book also crossed my mind, it is obviously a theme that struck a chord.