Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
About the weekly challenges
Posted By: Adam, 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the PentaxForums.com Weekly Photo Challenge section! In this forum, our members run three main events: the Weekly Challenge, Picture of the Week, and Project 52.

Below you'll find descriptions of both events. To enter, please navigate to the most current event thread in this forum.

Weekly Challenge

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Project 52

P52 is a weekly challenge using a set list of themes and concepts published in advance. The themes can be subject- as well as technique-oriented.

The challenge is hosted by one member continuously throughout the year but every week's challenge is judged by the winner of the previous week. Photos can be taken with any camera.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-3 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras can be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot and Medium Format.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable

Picture of the Week

POTW is a great place to show what you've been shooting day-to-day. It gives us all a chance to see what other members are up to with their Pentax (and Samsung) cameras in the parts of the world in which they live or have visited. We can share ideas, learn from one another, and have a good time.So show us what you've seen in your little corner of the planet! Looking forward to seeing all of what's out there this week. A special welcome to all new members!

Rules:
1. No theme, just post your favorite pictures
2. Let's keep it to fewer than 6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week.
3. Any Pentax camera is fine, whether it's film, P&S, or DSLR. Samsung Pentax clones are also allowed.
4. Enter anything you shot last week or during this current week until the thread closes.
5. The current host will appoint the new host as an invitation via Private Message (PM). If possible, the new thread will be linked to the previous one and the new thread will start between Noon EDT and 5PM EDT on Sunday. If the thread doesn't start, please contact Peter Zack, Moderator via PM.
Views: 32,874
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Entries don't go in this thread, I don't think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Adam: I'm afraid that I have started a thread in an area of the Forum reserved for more structured challenges. With Spring Garden Collection, I was merely wanting to share some of my own photos. I was not trying horn in on something being organized by others. Sorry about that.
11-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So many challenges - oh my!

I had a hard time finding the correct place to post this - if it should be moved to a more appropriate section please do so.

Since I now seem to have some extra time, I want to start being involved with a weekly challenge to help focus on my skills (pun intended!). I don't want to overdo it at the start and get frustrated, so I am skipping any daily challenges until I get my feet wet a bit.

So that brings me to the weekly challenges which would be a good starting point. I want a themed challenge to get me looking and "seeing" more images. But, I can't seem to find a proper challenge to fit me - hoping someone can make a suggestion.

Picture of the week - too random for me - I want a theme to concentrate on.

Weekly challenge #xxx - this is perfect....until I read the rules. Pics used in this challenge are not to be taken during the challenge week. I really don't understand this concept - this is exactly the type of challenge I am looking for that would get me out looking for images to take pertaining to the current theme.

Project 52 - too complicated for me - the recent one I looked at was "film noir" - I would first need to study what that means before I could even think about finding what to shoot.

So, that is my dilemma. Maybe I am missing a challenge that would suit me - if so please point me to it!

11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

Weekly challenge #xxx - this is perfect....until I read the rules.
I think you read it wrong.

8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think you read it wrong.

Oh my - yes I did! Must be a combination of dyslexia, speed reading, and old age. Thanks for straightening me out!
10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome to the PentaxForums.com Weekly Photo Challenge section! In this forum, our members run three main events: the Weekly Challenge, Picture of the Week, and Project 52.

Below you'll find descriptions of both events. To enter, please navigate to the most current event thread in this forum.

Weekly Challenge

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Project 52

P52 is a weekly challenge using a set list of themes and concepts published in advance. The themes can be subject- as well as technique-oriented.

The challenge is hosted by one member continuously throughout the year but every week's challenge is judged by the winner of the previous week. Photos can be taken with any camera.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone who is interested in eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-3 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed. Cameras can be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot and Medium Format.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable

Picture of the Week

POTW is a great place to show what you've been shooting day-to-day. It gives us all a chance to see what other members are up to with their Pentax (and Samsung) cameras in the parts of the world in which they live or have visited. We can share ideas, learn from one another, and have a good time.So show us what you've seen in your little corner of the planet! Looking forward to seeing all of what's out there this week. A special welcome to all new members!

Rules:
1. No theme, just post your favorite pictures
2. Let's keep it to fewer than 6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week.
3. Any Pentax camera is fine, whether it's film, P&S, or DSLR. Samsung Pentax clones are also allowed.
4. Enter anything you shot last week or during this current week until the thread closes.
5. The current host will appoint the new host as an invitation via Private Message (PM). If possible, the new thread will be linked to the previous one and the new thread will start between Noon EDT and 5PM EDT on Sunday. If the thread doesn't start, please contact Peter Zack, Moderator via PM.
Hi,
How do I post pictures in Pictures of the week. Now that
I have a bazillion photos, a few that I like, I would like to
submit a few.

Patrick

10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where do I post the pictures

I understand the rules but I am
confused about the location and
how to go about posting the photos.

Thanks
10-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PatrickB Quote
I understand the rules but I am
confused about the location and
how to go about posting the photos.

Thanks
Weekly Photo Challenge sub-section of the Photo Sharing and Galleries. Look for the latest/current POTW. It's usually near the top.

Weekly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com
04-30-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I'm curious to know what the group thinks about modifying Rule #3 in the POTW Challenge ("3. Any Pentax camera is fine, whether it's film, P&S, or DSLR. Samsung Pentax clones are also allowed.") to allow photos taken by non-Pentax cameras using Pentax lenses? This challenge seems to have originated before adaptable mirrorless mounts were all the rage. I'd love to post some photos from my NEX and K/M glass in that thread. In fact, I did once by accident, and got immediately reprimanded for it.
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Those rules were set up by Peter Zack, initially. If you have questions regarding the rules, you should contact him. The rules aren't made by Adam.

EDIT: You can also post your photos in the Post Your Photos Forum. That is not restricted to just Pentax cameras.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-30-2014 at 12:40 PM.
05-10-2020, 02:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Those rules were set up by Peter Zack, initially. If you have questions regarding the rules, you should contact him. The rules aren't made by Adam.

EDIT: You can also post your photos in the Post Your Photos Forum. That is not restricted to just Pentax cameras.
Good Morning photolady95. I am pleased I found you again. please assist me I have posted a photo for the Monthly competition 'Flowers' please let me know if its in the right place. The other one is: what does the 'Quote' stand for along side the Quick reply.

have a great mothers day.............here in SA not sure where you are?