Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
183 - Distant - **WINNERS**
Posted By: pentaximus, 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Big thanks to all who entered the challenge this week. I think "distant" proved to be an interesting adjective to put into pixels. It allowed for some very different and creative interpretations. I was really pleased with the submissions.

In the end there were 29 photos submitted. Many great ones, but somebody's gotta win...so here goes. The entries broke down broadly into three categories: landscape, portrait, and street. I have decided to award a winner in each of these genres and to choose an overall winner from among those three.

Landscape
The bulk of entrants opted for a more concrete interpretation of the theme, so this was a fiercely contested category. I was really impressed with many entries, but this category went to daacon. His landscape was technically, aesthetically, and thematically outstanding. The light and shadow added great drama. And the extreme depth of field--from tiny grasses in the foreground to distant mountain peaks--clearly expressed the theme. The clouds further added to the distant feeling. Great job, Dave!

Street
I practically begged for some street examples of the theme and I was well rewarded. The winner here is Rense. His street shot with the "Anonymous" billboard serving as caption was just great. A classic "picture worth a thousand words" that said oh so much about the distant theme.

***Portrait and Overall Winner***
Tessfully was very engaged with this challenge. She was the first to submit and her first entry--a lovely frozen lake landscape with vertically-striped clouds giving a dramatic distant feeling to the sky--was a serious contender to win. But as the theme grew on her she changed her submission, and I'm glad she did. Her portrait "Nanny & Alzheimer's" is a deeply personal photo that powerfully expresses the theme and is my overall winner. Thank you so much, Tess, for sharing.

Thanks again for playing along. So many others could be mentioned. Sorry to take so long posting. I meant to have this up much earlier today, but I've been away most all day. Congrats again to the winners.
Views: 2,826
10-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Tess, on an outstanding winner, and to the other winners as well. Well done, all!
10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice selections.
10-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done Tess.

10-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A worthy winner! Tess, your photo is priceless....
Dave, also congrats to you, that photo is a stunner!

Pentaximus, thanks for the great theme, and the judging!!
10-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well done Tess. A very worthy winner (it would gave been my choice).
Thanks pentaximus for a great competition :-)
10-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all thanks to pentaximus for a great theme and judging a difficult field. Congrats to Tess, Rense and Dave for some great shots.

NaCl(can't wait for the next one)H2O

10-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific theme, Pentaximus, and thanks for judging. Congratulations Tess for winning with your very moving photo, and congrats, too, to Rense and Dave for great shots.
10-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Props all around: from the theme and judging, to the photos submitted and especially chosen as winner(s). I also loved Nanny Tess.
10-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the Lanscape first place ! Congrtas to Rense and of course the overall winner Tess.
10-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Many thanks for your thoughtful judging and congrats to the winners. I look at each of those shots and just think Wow.
10-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winners! Really great pictures. And thanks to pentaximus for judging.
10-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh wow! I am so honoured by this mention and by the kind comments. I loved all the entires and want to congratulate Rense and Dave, both of your entries are amazing images. Thank you Pentaximus. I am new to the mini-challenges and it was your great theme that attracted me. thank you thank you Now I have to look at the archives and figure out how to run this weeks contest.
10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Pentaximus - and congrats to the winners. Outstanding shots.
10-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Tess, Dave, and Rense. All great photos! Excellent judging , Pentaximus!