Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge 190 - Holes - WINNERS!
Posted By: jheu02, 01-07-2012, 08:58 PM

I haven't gone back to look at past weekly challenges, but 30 entries this week. Wow! Due to the number of them, I'll just have to do very brief comments (in the order submitted). There were so many good shots, it was difficult to decide the winners, so I just had to go with my feelings about the shot. Also, a big hello and welcome to all the newcomers to PF or the contests in general.

SpecialK - minimalist approach, bright yellow contrasts the black holes. Nice offsetting rectangles.

jmschrei - Hole in nature, though not sure if natural...looks like a bore hole. I would have liked to see what's below the bottom of the frame as the other crevass makes me start seeing a bird eye and beak-like petroglyph.

Tamia - high contrast shot (on snow?) The yellows and blacks also make a nice contrast here.

Lex Madera - A shot using the knowledge that there's a hole there without seeing it. Nice creativity.

bluestringer - Nice capture of the wood grain, though it appears to me the knot is still in the wood except for a little missing chip

Jools - You consistently come up with interesting views of things Jools. This is no different and I love the lighting and texture. Why do you have so many empty rolls lying around though?

dmort - Another interesting hole. Nice use of DOF.

Gerbermiester - Literal interpretation though subtle.

NaClH2O - You've definitely captured the "something's missing" interpretation. Thanks for the context shot too.

PJGPix - Can you fit a round peg in those square holes though? Great colors and rust.

Oldschool - Nice exposure under challenging lighting.

atupdate - Great shape and leading into the shot Great contrast w/ the bands. What is it?

Arn - Nice spotting this one. Contrast seems a little low though making it a little flat. Perhaps a B/W conversion?

RollsUp - I really like the tonal treatment here, a very vintage look with plenty of holes

Rense - another "something's missing" interpretation with a great title.

Frogfish - very nice street portrait showing the jumble of life. Like out of "Life" magazine.

Bramela - I remember this from a "Single in..." month IIRC, and yes, a tunnel is a hole. Almost futuristic looking with the tunnel shape and the runner. I'd like to see you continue working this image in different ways: colors, contrasts, maybe some wild "curves" swings

tessfully - love the cracking paint, colors and textures in this shot.

ramseybuckeye - Winter does bring on puzzle time doesn't it? We have a 2000 piecer going now with even more holes in it. For me though, I think had it been only a handful of missing pieces would have done it for me.

mde1970 - holes in all directions. A little dark/muddy though. This would be mesmerizing with brighter side holes.

bjake - another natural hole. Well spotted.

smf - you've got the thread for RollsUp's buttons. Also vintage and the colors along with lace are nice touches.

chaddy7604 - I bet you had fun making those holes. Did you bring enough to share though? Good DOF and exposure.

MikeL - Brrr. Just looking at it makes me shiver. Great color in the ice and holes I wouldn't want to be stuck in.

gifthorse - nice capture of a "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" hole

alelynh - nice detail and architecture - esp. from a moving car. Hope you weren't driving though.

noelcmn - nicely spotted. The whole hole and surrounding bark almost looks like a lizard eye itself.

Julie - Interesting concept, I'm afraid a bit out of focus though.

Velja - great perspective - cliche or not, with leading lines right to the hole.

pbancr - Original interpretation of the theme also. An implied hole.

And now (drumroll please):

3rd: NaCl(points for humorous holes in this week's theme)H2O

2nd: tessfully (I'm a sucker for cracked, peeling paint and weathered wood)

1st and next Theme Maker/Judge: smf (the vintage look, color scheme, soft natural light, and bokeh just did it).

Views: 2,377
01-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kudos to you John, for judging this bountiful week!
Great choices and my felicitations to NaClH2O, tessfully, and smf for some fantastic images.
Congrats to all who participated.

BTW, I stash the toilet paper rolls away for crafts..., maybe I am a just hoarder at heart.
But your comment will make my wife laugh, she asked me the same thing early on.
01-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yebo yes, congrats to SMF, Tessfully and NaCIH2O. Great shots as usual and worthy winners. A real fu competition this one. Thanks for a great theme and for judging John. It was difficult so I reckon you did well.
01-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, John, thanks for taking the time to comment on everyone's entries. It was a great theme and with so many good pictures. Congrats to SMF, Tessfully and NaCIH2O for well deserved wins. Looking forward to the next one, SMF! Oh, BTW, the small seashell I shot was placed on bright white paper, which "disappeared" when I PPed for the shell hole.

01-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks so much John! I am honoured to have been selected for 2nd from among so many awesome shots! SMF, I absolutely loved that shot and NaCIH2O's, yours was a very funny commentary on being human! Great theme John and wonderful job commenting.
01-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great challenge John and congratulations to all of the winners.

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
atupdate - Great shape and leading into the shot Great contrast w/ the bands. What is it?
It is the ceiling of the Schuster Center in Dayton, OH. The Schuster Center is a wonderful theater and concert hall. I shot it from one of the balconies to make the concentric circles (Orange Bands) look less concentric.

Here is a more looking straight-up shot.

The lights that look like stars blink. It takes a long exposure to see the bunny.

Tim
01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great theme John and good on you for taking time to comment on each entry. You managed to narrow it down to three very worthy winners, congratulations to all!

01-08-2012, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners, and all entries were great IMO. I should have explained my entry a little further. As I knew the knot was still in the wood, I used a play on words to the effect that something should have been was missing, an implied hole, as some of the others, so the title Not Hole. Just wanted to explain that I certainly knew the knot was still there. Seems the comment implied I didn't understand or follow the theme.

Last edited by bluestringer; 01-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Stu, Tess and Saltwater, John - excellent job judging such a large and varied field!
01-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Congrats to all of the winners and lol I was in the passenger seat
01-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

Honored and surprised!

Wow! I am very surprised and quite honored!

I'm so surprised that my selection of a theme will be made later today, after I've looked at previous themes and thought a bit.

Thanks very much, John, for selecting my photo and for all of your work on the challenge.

Congratulations to all on your photographic achievement, and thanks very much for the inspiration your photos provide.

Best wishes to everyone for health, happiness and photographic satisfaction in the new year.

Stu
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the work judging, John, and congratulations to NaCLH2O, Tessfully and smf - all great photos.
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

I started a new thread announcing Roadside (or Streetside) Discovery is the topic for the current weekly challenge.

I hope many people will enjoy the topic.

Thanks to all for their congratulations and their submission of photos in past challenges!

Best wishes.

Stu
01-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #14

Thanks for commenting on each photo. Feedback/encouragement is always appreciated.
01-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks John for the 3rd! With so many good photos I didn't think I had a chance. Also thanks for the theme and all the time you spent judging and commenting. Congrats to Tess and Stu for excellent captures.

NaCl(now to see what I can do for this week's challenge)H2O