Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
PROJECT 52 - 4 - 22 - Shapes - Spirals-Winners
Posted By: WWIFA, 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM

I admit I was a little nervous about this. Having never done this before I wanted to think about it. So I was looking for a clear theme/subject matter of a spiral(s) and what that spiral expresses. As well as how much I liked the composition, lines, tones, colors, etc. Well, if that's not subjective enough for you... Adding the pictures wasn't as hard as I thought.

Tess--A very appealing vibrant photo. I like the colors. I can hear this chiming in the snowy woods. Very nice!
Margriet--Welcome! I like this nature's spiral, something of a happy face. The diagonal implied by the perspective gives the "face" a bit of life.
Lukulele--I like the sunset colors here. A great photo of this roller coaster as evening approaches. I'm having trouble seeing a spiral, though.
pbancr--I see many spirals here, the wheels, sprocket, seat and handle bar attachments. Nice DOF and great colors. This one makes me smile.
John--Very nice dynamic lines which are spirals then spiraled around the posts. I like the DOF and bokeh and POV. I can feel the tension.
Arn-- Lovely appealing food colors and bokeh. Similar to my idea had I entered.
Joe--A common everyday object with a bit of a futuristic look to it. Nice find.
Tamia--A natural spiral well composed with a nice DOF. I like the texture and high key look to this.
Jools--I like this simple yet not so simple ribbon spiral with the reflection. It conveys a sense of lightness and festivity.
Tom--Many spirals here on the fence and in the barbed wire. A nice juxtaposition with a lovely mourning dove topping it off.
RollsUp--I like the strong contrast in color and tones and it suits this test light light. A Tesla's lab feel to this.
xjjohnno--I like the mud spattered, well used look to this. A fine study of the bicycle seat and spiral security cable.

Thanks for participating everyone and likes to all! I'm having a difficult time choosing, so, please understand a decision had to be made so we can go on to the next challenge : }

Honorable Mention-Margriet

Honorable Mention-RollsUp

3rd Place-Jools-This really pops out in flickr's lightbox.

2nd place- John- DOF, POV, bokeh, colors all real nice.

1st place and next weeks judge- Tess- The vibrant natural colors and "musical" spiral along with the outdoor setting did it for me.

Views: 1,468
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the win Tess, great image, John and Jools, also good pics with good interpretations too, and Rollsup and margriet congrats also. Good challenge WWIFA,lots of interesting ideas!
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to Tess and John, strong images.
And to Margriet and RollsUp for the honorable mention.
Thanks Bruce for the 3rd place.
It can always be daunting to judge, but you've done good with your presenatation and comments. Much appreciated.
And thanks to all for the entries. Makes this one of my favorite threads on PF from week to week.
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way to go Tess, John and Jools, and congrats too to Margriet and RollsUp!
Thanks for all that work and the comments, WWIFA.

02-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tess, John, and Jools, and to Margriet (Welcome to the forum!) and Rolls-up for HM. Excellent judging job, Bruce. Well done.
02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners. Great photos all. Good job, Bruce.
02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for selecting my image Bruce; I feel very honoured given the wonderful and skillful submissions. These contests raise the bar for me and I am always inspired to play along. Congrats to John and Jools (terrific spirals!) and to the honourable mentions Margrite and Rolls Up. And thanks for judging Bruce... it is never an easy task and I can tell your heart was in it...

cheers

02-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats from me also Tess and Jools and thanks for the 2nd place. I agree with Tess, the bar just keeps getting set a notch higher and we all improve. Great job EVERYONE.
03-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #9

Thanks all for this! The topic got a bit lost for me in the enormous content of this forum It makes a newbie feel really appreciated to get a honorable mentioning at first challenge. I have truly enjoyed seeing what different subjects came up and agree with the judgment of jury.

Congrats to the winners!

regards, margriet