Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Project 52 Project 52 - 4 -25 Landscape - Portrait - WINNERS
Posted By: jackassp, 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM

My first time judging something like this, so please flame me privately.

Only 8 entries this time, unfortunately I had to rule 2 invalid - sorry.

But the other 6 entries were stellar!

noelcmn - a lovely vista, with a human element. Thanks for sharing this with us, but unfortunately I can't include this in the judging. Sorry.

Tamia - I love the composition, and the contrasts, the dark river and the soft blue sky, the vibrant evergreens and the stark, almost ghostly deciduous trees, the abundant water, and yet the dried out
foliage that lines it.

normhead - I like how you have used the rule of thirds here, to bring attention to the sunset, and the melting ice, with its mortal injury (diagonal fissure). The blue cast of the ice beautifully
contrasts the orange of the sunset. Your DoF goes on and on forever.

lululele - I'm in a bit of a pickle here, technically your image is wider than it is tall, so I would call it either a landscape image, or a square crop. The image is well composed, and the
conversion is excellent, but I can't really judge it, because of the technicality. Very sorry.

tessfully - There's a lot to like and love about your photo. Composition is excellent, it obeys the rule of thirds in both horizontal and vertical axes, the light is obviously difficult, but your
exposure is just perfect. The meandering "line" of water amongst the ice takes us on a tour through your photo, and not one detail goes un-noticed. A real tour-de-force.

WWIFA - Another excellent use of the rule of thirds, to highlight the 3 areas of interest, the snow coloured peaks and brilliant blue sky, the broken fence, and the snow invading from the
bottom, it almost looks as if the snow destroyed the fence. The contrast of the straw-coloured undergrowth, and the azure sky is just wonderful too. Where are the Bison?

jmschrei - excellent POV, it highlights the snow invading the foliage and trail, the dryness of the foliage amazes me, there is abundant water. I like the evergreens guarding the power lines. I also
like how the sky appearance mirrors that of the ice. A very good effort under trying conditions. A little more DoF would have been nice, but this is nit-picking. Maybe a little pp?

Jools - A masterpiece of composition, sharpness, and conversion. The cyanotype-like duotone really highlights the water, and contrasts nicely with the foliage and the sky (how did you do this?). The
generous POV, and lens distortion adds allure, the lonely house looks so fragile, and the mysterious flow in the water also adds to the appeal. You have the uncanny knack of making a complex scene
look so simple to do.

And now to the results:

Special mention: "Late winter landscape" by jmschrei

Honorable mention: "North park and the Rawah range" by WWIFA

Also honorable mention: "View from the beach on Galeairy Lake" by normhead

Third place: "Beaver landscape" by Tamia

Second Place: "Crazy weather" by Jools

First Place: "Untitled" by tessfully

It has been an honour and a privilege to just view everyone's photos, they are all winners in their own ways.
Congratulations to everyone who participated.
Views: 1,482
03-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jackassp, thank you for even considering my pic-it was not my entry, but posted for clafification of Portraits-human elements and geographical relations etc. So, no problem. My you are very strict. I did have an entry, but never got round to posting it. Not that ir can compete with that fabulous pic from tessfully. Congratulations Tess, and Jools and Tamia, and all honorable mentions. Great to see landscape photography alive and well.
03-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow! Thank you so much for the honour jackassp! The field of photos in this challenge were outstanding. Congratulations to Jools and Tamia and the honourable mentions. Jackassp, thanks too for taking the time to comment extensively on each entry. It is very appreciated. Cheers!
03-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the second place nod, John.
Great job in hosting, judging and commenting. Well done.
Congrats to Tess and Tamia and to the honorable mentions.Lovely images this week.
I certainly enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone in composing a vertical landscape.
Congrats to all.

03-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey thanks for 3rd, John/Jackassp, and you did a very fine job judging, with your comments on everyone's entries. No flames! Congrats to Tess for a great win, and to Julio/Jools, Norm, WWIFA, and Joe.
03-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to Tess, Jools and Tamia and all of us actually. Great photos all around!
Great job judging, commenting, Jack! Your effort is most appreciated.
Bruce