Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #42 - Winner (Action)
Posted By: atupdate, 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Yes, this challenge was as tough to judge as it looks. Being an engineer, the first thing I did was to make it as objective as possible. So I assigned scores for Technical Merit (focus, lighting, post processing), Action (meets topic, difficulty, timing) and Composition. Of course this did not produce a clear cut winner so then I took the top scoring images and assigned bonus points on what I call the WOW factor (Gee I wish I took that, I'd hang that on my wall, family responses).

Before I announce the winners, I'd like to offer constructive feedback on any of the images entered in this challenge. If you want the feedback given publicly, put Critique in the subject line of your response to this thread. If you would like a private critique, send me a PM.

Honorable Mentions (In random order): Some of the top scores that just missed the cut.

mtnbearhug

JCSullivan

sajmmiller

Arpe

J. Scott

djm

roentarre

Winners in the next threat......
Views: 3,739
01-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Winners

Tied for Third Place

schmikey (this is just to funny and the best overall image quality)

Bud (Great motion and post processing)

Second Place

daacon (No tougher lighting conditions than hockey + great timing on the action)

And the Winner and choosen one for the next challenge......

Julie B. (Very high on the WOW factor)

Congratulations Julie!!!

Tim
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

Tim: I'm am shocked to have tied for third! - I wasn't even going to enter anything this week - just goes to show you should never put limitations on yourself!
As far as overall image quality - I should point out that this photo was taken about a month after purchasing my K100D, (my first digital camera) using the kit lens! I was out for a spring walk with Schmikey and clicking away... he's a great subject! (I think he was rather bored and just waiting for me and voila a yawn!)
Again thanks!
01-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Tim for the nod for second. Best I have placed but the fun is in entering That shot was my favorite of that game.

There were so many great entries in this challenge, and a very diverse interpretation of action congrats to everyone who submitted and to Julie for WOW'ing us. I anxiously await Julie’s next challenge.

01-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all the winners! Great choices Tim, and thanks for hosting this. I'm thrilled to have received an honorable mention among so many fantastic entries.

Looking forward to what Julie has in store for the next challenge.
01-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congradulation, Julie. That shot is full of life in deed. The expression is priceless and the thrill was still in the air, captured within the frame
01-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
djm
Forum Member

Congradulations Julie and thanks for the mention Tim - there were some good shots in there.

01-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks for the honourable mention and congrats to the winners. That was a fun one!
01-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Critique

Congrats Julie - well deserved.

Dear me, I got an hon mention just for entering. I must attend more street festivals.
Congrats everyone for participating.

Thanks for taking the time to choose.
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great choices, Congrats Julie, I do love that shot.
01-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

I didnt follow the entries thread for this one so I didnt see the schmikey shot untill now, and I love it both for its humor and for the quality, choice of camera angle and timing. Maybe cropping could have been done slightly different but thats the only thing Id have to say about it.

Great timing, its not easy to get what I think is an original dog shot. Fantastic. wish I had shot it
01-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #12

Congrats Julie... great shot!
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #13

congrats to the winner! That is a great shot.
01-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is your requested critque...

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Congrats Julie - well deserved.

Dear me, I got an hon mention just for entering. I must attend more street festivals.
Congrats everyone for participating.

Thanks for taking the time to choose.

To start with, the timing of the action and the post processing of this image were exceptional. For me, the problem with this image lies in the composition. There is a lot of negative space on the left side of the image that serves no purpose and in actuality, is a distraction. If you would have cropped the image (close to a square crop) and removed the Honda object, the composition becomes much stronger. When cropped, the juggler's eyes and arms lead my eyes straight to the flaming batons in the air. These to me are the main subject for action. After taking in the wonderful blurred action of the batons, my eyes naturally return to the face of the juggler to appreciate the concentration shown in his eyes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-14-2008 at 07:50 AM.
01-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Critique

Thanks so much Tim for the Honorable Mention. It is honor to be selected amongst all the wonderful and diverse entries...

Congrats Julie!!! That is a GREAT Photo!!

And Congrats to all the winners and the Judge for a Job Well done!!! Bravo everyone!!!

Kim
Closed Thread