Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #43 - Fireworks
Posted By: Julie_B, 01-12-2008, 09:56 PM

I have chosen Fireworks for this weeks challenge, as I am still in shock that I won and was not prepared for this. So being the new year guess everyone will have taken some shots of fireworks.

The contest will run until Midnight on Sunday January 13. Good Luck.
Here, as always are the rules....

The rules:
1. Post ONE photo (max 800x800) as a response to THIS post.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme. It can be colour or B&W, your choice.
3. You can offer as much or as little additional information as you wish, but I'd be interested to know the location/event/whatever being depicted.
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and chose 1 of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. The challenge runs for 7 days plus a day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any camera will do but it must be a Pentax. Just use any camera you want. No discriminating anyone as long as the shooter is an active member here.

Previous Challenge Subjects:
1-Statues, 2-Wheels, 3-Speed, 4-Peace, 5-Survival, 6-Macro, 7-Mountains, 8-Children, 9-Post Processing, 10- Windows & Doors, 11-Sport, 12-Urban Landscape, 13-Wisdom, 14-Power, 15-Music, 16-Pathways, 17-Lines, 18-Storm, 19-Boats, 20-Water, 21 - Golden Hour, 22 - Natural Lighting, Portraits, 23- Motion Blur, 24-Simplicity, 25-Color, 26-Cars, 27-Repetition, 28-Wildlife, 29-Epiphany, 30-Contrast, 31-Pets, 32-Landscapes, 33-Coastal, 34-Churches, 35-Bridges, 36-Creation, 37-Still LIfe: Food, 38-At the Zoo, 39-Wide Aperture, 40-Merry Christmas, 41- Sunsets, 42-Action, 43 Fireworks

Good luck to all!

Julie
Views: 4,426
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dern it I had two chances this year to get some shots and missed them both Looking forward to seeing some.
01-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #3

OK, if noone will start, I'll throw one up there. I took this right after I got my camera (when I knew even less than the little I know now). Taken with the kit lens from a couple miles away, and no PP. Now I can't wait to see what the good ones look like!

Last edited by lost; 03-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.
01-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here are some fireworks from July 4, 2006.

01-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hmmmm..

I think I may have sit this out as well.. My son doesn't like the loud noice of Fireworks (scares him to death).. so I dont think I have any as of late.... I may have to go hunting..

Good Luck everyone.... !! Kim
01-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And the winner is...! Yeah, I'm out, missed them this year and every other year. I have a few old shots on film but no scanner and they're not contest winning by any stretch.

Last edited by F-Stop; 01-15-2008 at 12:07 AM.
01-15-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm..... looks like I have chosen a hard challenge.

01-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie_B Quote
Hmm..... looks like I have chosen a hard challenge.
haha Julie it will be easier to judge - speaking for myself I am pretty new to DSLR ( < 1 year) and have not really had an opportunity to go out and shoot fireworks yet, it is something I want to do. Trouble is unless you live near a theme park where there are fireworks every night there are usually only a few times a year you even get a chance.

Last edited by daacon; 01-15-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Took out selfish suggestions haha
01-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My entry

Just had to have time to look for a good one.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 08-05-2008 at 04:30 AM.
01-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Just had to have time to look for a good one.
I need a little time as well but it won't be as "good one" as yours. Very nice indeed.

Tim
01-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not even going to pretend that I have anything that will compete in this weeks subject. So I'm sitting this one out. It looks like there are some really nice shots to pick from so far.....
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
haha Julie it will be easier to judge - speaking for myself I am pretty new to DSLR ( < 1 year) and have not really had an opportunity to go out and shoot fireworks yet, it is something I want to do. Trouble is unless you live near a theme park where there are fireworks every night there are usually only a few times a year you even get a chance.
I am new to DSLR myself and have not taken any photos of fireworks myself, and we only have fireworks a few times a year as well, and regret that I miss the oppertunity to take some photos, as I think it would be a good learning expperinence. Ah well maybe this year I hope.
01-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

my entry

Julie: I'm assuming the end date for this contest really isn't the 13th as you said in the first message?

Here's my entry:
View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP3981.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  338.7 KB
01-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #14

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to shoot 4 different fireworks displays this year.

If you live on the (US) east coast, I highly recommend a trip to Berkeley Heights fireworks display, which occurs mid-July, rather than on the 4th. It's the grand finale of a local street fair. This year they ran for a FULL hour. More explosions than I'd ever seen in one place.

Here's my entry. Not actually taken in Berkeley Heights, but @ Caldwell, NJ's display.

I almost didn't go that night because of the wind, but I think it gave this shot (and all the others that night) an interesting effect.

Good luck, everyone!

-Chris
01-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I need a little time as well but it won't be as "good one" as yours. Very nice indeed.

Tim
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
So I'm sitting this one out.
I enter almost every time not because I think I'm going to win. Go for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
I almost didn't go that night because of the wind, but I think it gave this shot (and all the others that night) an interesting effect.
Nice entry Chris. I've been to plenty of displays with each being different in the colours and designs they use. Speaking with a pyrotechnic enthusiast whilst watching a display is am experience in itself especially when they start explaining things.

The environment like the wind, can be an added bonus. But at times, when there's no wind to move the smoke away from the display can ruin everything, especially when you have moved around to get the best vantage point, calculated the wind, etc.

Keep 'em coming - the fun is in the entering.
Closed Thread