Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners - Project 52 - 4 - 28 Perspective - Frame it (naturally)
Posted By: Gerbermiester, 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Well let me start off by saying that judging is a lot tougher than I had originally thought! Great work to everyone who submitted this week, especially those in the top three! I'm no pro, but here's what I liked about the photos along with some critiques.

tessfully- I like our shot, here. The pot makes a great frame, as does the difference between what's in focus and what's in the bokeh. A fresh perspective on an everyday object.

smf- Cool shot, it looks like a lovely area and makes a neat interpenetration of this weeks concept. If I was to make one critique, it would be that the background is a bit busy. By making the frame itself the subject of your photo, you've provided a unique addition to the challenge. Good stuff.

xjjohnno- That's a keeper, Great shot! The motion of the girl really makes the image. The man in the background adds a great secondary size indication that, with the wide angle, gives the corridor a really dynamic nature. If I could point out an area that could be improved, I'd consider the blown highlights at the end of the tunnel. This is just a matter of taste, though. Nice one!

Bramela- Great work! Now there's a sea scape with drama! With the chains in the front it makes me think of the Château d'If from the Count of Monte Cristo. Thumbs up.

Tamia- I really like the black and white conversion on this photo; the results show you spent some time on it. I like the way the steeple is framed between the tree in the foreground and the clouds in the background. The way the branches wrap around the shot is sugar on top. If I would look at one thing to alter, I might consider a tighter crop to show less of the white siding on the right of the church. But, that's just me. Another great shot Tamia, as expected.

noelcmn- Now there's something you don't see every day! (On the Canadian Pacific coast at least). This shot makes me want to run out and by a 500mm, but then I remember that I'll never need the length because, unlike lions, there is really no risk of being mauled by a beaver. Really neat picture. If I would change one thing, it'd be to get rid of the chain link fence in the background. Solid entry!

Xman- Nice shot! Did your old man ever tell you the story about the troll that lived under the bridge? Yeah? The terrifying facial expression your mom is giving the camera did not remind me of that story in the slightest, and I think it's important that you remember that you should never ever, EVER, mention that story around your mom when you show her this photo. Trust me, keeping quiet will help you get the cash for your college tuition . Great work using the bridge as a frame for your portrait.

Cooter- Good shot, I I love the symmetry here. I'd critique the shot, but frankly, there's not much I could say.

lukulele- Neat interpretation using other people as a frame. I'd never have thought of that. The colour is coming across on my monitor as a little lacking in contrast. If I would change anything, I think I'd boost that up a bit, and pp the hand and foot out of the left of the frame. Neat image!

Arn- I really like this shot a lot, and the toning applied to it. Strong vertical lines draw the eye up to the sun and the clouds create a nice natural frame, which was the name of the game this week. Nice one!

Jools- Now there's a photo that tells a story! Well composed with interesting subjects. The B&W with tone really makes the weathered veins in the sign pop. Great as always.

jmschrei- Nice use of the trees to make a very bold natural frame. It makes me feel like I'm stumbling upon an old church during a hike.

Now, without further adieu here are your winners this week:

Thrid place:
Jools

Second Place:
xjjohnno

First Place:
Arn

Great work to everyone this week!

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,295
04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Arn, Xjjohnno, and Jools for your super entries. Thanks very much for your judging and thoughtful comments, Gerbermiester, which I enjoyed reading. Well done y'all!
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the 3rd place, Gerbermiester.
Great job in judging and providing comments; it can be a lengthy process but much appreciated. Thanks.
Congrats to Arn and xjjohnno for the two top spots.
Kudos to all who participated. Nice images.
04-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Tamia and Jools wrote it well.

04-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Nicely done everyone! I look forward to crawling around on the ground, trying to get a shot for this weeks theme.
04-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Arn and Jools, thanks for judging Gerbermeister.
04-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Arn, xjjohnno and Jools, super images all. And Gerbermeister for thoughtful comments and insights. Much appreciated as these things take time and effort. Just a note on that chain link- shot taken in a lion enclosure, Pretoria, and pretty much could not avoid the fence in the background. I have a few others with no fence, but they are not "framed" . And as Cooter said, now for some crawling in the next few days-hopefully no frog will join me

04-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, thanks for the honour, Gerbermeister, and congrats to xjjohnno and Jools. I thought all of the photos expressed the theme very well. I've been impressed with all of the work that goes into the judging each week, and hope I can do it justice.
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winners. Great shots. I think all entries were worthy of recognition. Well done all!