Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #205 - Color Monochromes -WINNERS!
Posted By: Clou, 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM

This was not easy - please mind that there are several pictures which would have deserved the first place, but I had to make a (subjective) choice.

Comments first:

slowpez - your photo has something of a painting - it is calm and the empty chair suggests that someone has left to come back soon. The colors are on spot.

atupdate/Tim - impressive and the fact that the cloud filaments point the way the plane flies add to the impression.
Again the colors are right on spot.

Bill2849 - this is very subtle by its tonalites. The structure in lower part dissolves into the background. A very minimalistic landscape. The colors are on spot.

Tamia - green, summer, yes I like summer. The forest floor covered with leaves combined with the greenish light filtered through the leaves from above adds to the monochrome impression.

lukulele - spring theme. Great color(s).

tessfully - the famous white blanket. The foreground works well the sky colors, but on a second look you can see that the blanket is not perfect and more colors are seeping through it.

MSL - I like the green with the nuances and the water drops. The right side is a little dark for my taste.

jenspag - the all-blue impression is special.

Bramela/Bruce - this must have been impressive. The all-brown of the dust storm combined with the geometrical elements of the high voltage lines make an intersting combination.

Arjay Bee -this is truly blue hour and fits the subject. I like different layers of mountains in the background.

NaClH2O/salty - an intense blue - what flower is this? Absolutely on spot.

smf/Stuart - I like the green tones of a fern and their shape adds structure.

pentaximus - I like the blueish tones of the backgound that match with the barbed wire. The mockingbird is sticking out la little...

mecrox - I like how it starts with some detail and more and more blends into the background.

daacon/Dave - That's yellow! +1 in the humor category Personally I prefer mustard from Dijon, but that is another topic...

Rense - yes - this certainly counts. The tones are very nice and match the subject. A portrait that is certainly different.

VoiceOfReason - I see a relationship with Tim's entry. No plane, the dramatic setting is there. I like this one.

jheu02 - the concentration on few elements makes yours a bit different compared to the others in this challenge. Nice play with light.

Jools - I like the geometry and the little fun element added with the view through one of the tubes.

noelcmn - spring theme again. I like the composition of this one and the fact that the contrast is not too high.

sealonsf - the backlit scene and the same color shared between the reflection on the water and the sky make this one special.

casil403/Lisa - this is a powerful winter picture and the colors are on spot. The structures from the snow and the clouds add here.

ramseybuckeye - good composition and fitting the subject. I like contrast in brightness between the sun and the barn/house sitting on the diagonal in this picture.

jmschrei - a nice study in different shades of green.

Xandr - late entry, but I like the combination of rectangles from the buildings, fog and snow plus trees which make up a layered foreground.

bdparker - I like the fluffy look and the color - a bit small for a rest but inviting

Picking a winner is very difficult, there are several categories covered and this using an amazing variety of approaches.

No honorable mentions, picking some would not do justice to the other excellent entries.

Still-life runner-up: slowpez - I like the special touch of this one

Macro runner-up: NaClH2O - this blue...

Technical runner-up: Bramela - well captured, it makes me feel if I was there without the dust.

'Other' runner-up: Rense - very well.

Landscape runner-up: ramseybuckeye - I think the description above coins it.

The winner is also a landscape - the one from Casil403/Lisa.

Sorry for not posting the pictures again, but my browser seems not to interpret the menu correctly.
Maybe I can fix this later.

The entire thread would make a nice exposition!

I will have a glass of Whisky now.

Michael
Views: 2,301
05-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Michael for the challenge and the judging. I know this must have been a challenging decision.
Congratulations to Lisa and to all the runners-up. Congrats also for those responsible for the other fine photos.

Bill
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well chosen. Congrats to Lisa!
05-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great challenge topic and congratulations to Lisa. What a wonderful image of snow. I've seen my fair share of snow in my days (250" per year during college) and I've never seen it looking like sanddunes. Wow.

Tim

05-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Lisa, well done Rense, Bramela, Salty, and Susan. Thanks Michael, you had a lot of good entries here, I appreciate your taking the time for all the comments.
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to Lisa and to ramseybuckeye, Rense, Bramela, NaClH2O and slowpez.
Great job in judging and commenting, Clou. Enjoy the drink you've earned it.
Fantastic images from all. Lovely work.
05-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Lisa, Tom, Rense, Bruce, Salty, and Susan. Thanks, Michael, for such a good topic for the challenge and for your comments -- you surely deserve your drink. Outstanding contributions from everyone!

05-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Michael for your feedback and efforts. Let the new contest being
05-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners! Entering was fun, so I think I'll do it again. Also, looking at alot of these makes me want to work extra hard to take my photography up a few levels!
05-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the runner up award. I congratulate Lisa on a beautiful shot, liked it when I first saw it. And all the runners up and other entries, well done all!

Great judging job too.
05-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Many thanks for the judging which must have been quite tricky and congrats to the winners! The winning image is a superb one.
05-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all thanks to Michael for the GREAT theme and the difficult judging. Thanks also for the runners up designation. The flower btw is a bearded iris, with the center focus on the "beard".
Congratulations to all the other runners up and a special congratulations to Lisa for a supurb photo.

NaCl(really really really glad I didn't have to judge this one!)H2O
05-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, everyone, and thanks for the judging, Michael.
05-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Excellent job Michael in judging congrats to all and the winners , guess mine just didn't cut the mustard (who knew Micheal was a dijion fan ha)
05-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Michael, that wiskey was well deserved, great job judging here. And CONGRATULATIONS LISA-one fabulous pic that one. And all the runner's up-what a wonderful line up of entrants. Now to wait and see what Lisa has in store for us.