Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Project 52-4-32 Shutter speed - slow WINNERS
Posted By: jmschrei, 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for your entries! I don't feel especially qualified to offer profound critique here since (intentionally) slow shutter speed is not my strong suit. A few thought will have to do.

Tom (ramseybuckeye) Choosing to photograph this little fellow at a slow speed creates an interesting effect - he seems to be hanging in the air.

Vylen Even with an explanation I'm not sure what this is but to think it was photographed in complete darkness with the added touch of your random flashes is most impressive.

Tamia At 1/20s the rapids are slowed enough to emphasize their chaotic nature creating a very vibrant scene.

noelcmn What a wonderfully colourful landscape, a classic scene for slow shutter speed but very well executed nonetheless.

Gareth.Ig You have captured an interesting night scene with lots of colour and nice details like the illuminated grass in the foreground.

Tsukiouji Good work with the star trails, the only thing I find distracting are the blurred leaves in the foreground, pretty inevitable with a 6 minute exposure.

Ash Well, what can I say, this scene ticks all the boxes. Beautiful lighting, a dreamy smooth ocean and stunning composition.

Choosing the top three was difficult, but these are my subjective choices:

Third: Vylen

Second: Tamia (For some reason I cannot insert the image)
http://www.tamiasoutside.com/wp-content/themes/paalam/img/whitewater.jpg

First and next week's judge: Ash

Last edited by jmschrei; 05-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Views: 1,287
05-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Woo third - haha. Really happy to have been able to even participate I don't take as many photos as I would like!

Good work to everyone else that participate. The winner here is really lovely - I had a feeling it was going to take prime position in this challenge

P.S For anyone else who is still confused about what my photo is of. It's of a full flight simulator - with replicated cockpit and full motion. Also known as a Level D simulator (highest fidelity of its kind).
05-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on a beautiful pic Ash, and to Vylen too. Nice job Joe.
05-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Ash and Vylen, and thanks for #2 and judging, Joe. Vylen, thanks for the explanation about the object in your photo. I would never have guessed what it is. Love the mood in your picture, Ash.

05-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, everyone.
05-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CONGRATULATIONS ASH-simply cannot compete with that image. Worthy of a long appreciative look. And congratulations to Tamia and Vylen. Thanks for taking on the judging job Joe, and your helpful and encouraging comments. Appreciated. Fast Shutters speed up next.
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well judged indeed. Looking forward to more competitions.

The first place winner begs the question what Ash has up his sleeve for the monthly contest!

05-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Well judged indeed. Looking forward to more competitions.

The first place winner begs the question what Ash has up his sleeve for the monthly contest!
In this competition, the winner gets to judge the next week which is part of a series. That thread is here: Shutter speed - fast.
05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
In this competition, the winner gets to judge the next week which is part of a series. That thread is here: Shutter speed - fast.
Oh I understand how it works. I'm just saying Ash has been out looking for nighttime photos for the monthly competition. So the question is did he bring his "A" string or "B" string to the weekly competition?