Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge 212 - Trees - WINNER
Posted By: sealonsf, 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

This was insanely hard to pick just one winning photo out of all these incredible entries. Everyone had such great photos, I felt compelled to comment on them all so see below for that.

But first... the top 7 photos... any one of which I could choose as the top photo were taken by:

daacon
lukulele
clou
casil403
jmschrei
Graham V
ramseybuckeye

But because I have to choose just one...

jmschrei's photo really stood out for me. Congratulations! It's your turn to host the next Weekly Challenge.

SpecialK: Great perspective and you were able to save details in the sunlit areas as well as the shade. Striking photo.
Daacon: First thought is wow. Second thought, beautiful colors. Definitely award-winning photograph. The only, extremely minor, thing I see is that I think I’d rather the entire tree were in the frame. But I love this photo and love the crispness of the image.
Tamia: You call it an experiment and I think it definitely worked. Looks like a woodcut almost – something that belongs in a novel. Love the mood of the photo.
lukulele: To me, this is a perfect picture. At a quick glance you might not notice how wonderful it is, but if you linger just a bit longer, it really takes you in. The details of the light/shadows is superb.
Tricktech: (Sorry… I have to use the word “love” again!) I love this interpretation of the theme. The photo somehow manages to combine the joy of seeing fireworks on a summer night to the bliss of being on a beautiful beach—not bad at all.
Mde1970: Totally looks like a fairy tale to me. I want to walk down that path. Or maybe I don’t… is there a fairy behind that tree or a hungry wolf?
Arjay Bee: What strikes immediately about this image are the vibrant colors and then you notice the contrast between nature and the junk we humans leave behind. This photo definitely tells a story.
atupdate: Great name for the photo: Winter. Peaceful, beautiful photo.
slowpez: Another wonderful interpretation of the theme and beautifully composed.
Rense: Another stunning photo. I love how you can see details in the distance and the play of light and shadows. Another photo that seems to have a story behind it.
Runegutt123: I like this approach. I do immediately think, “Blair Witch” but that’s not always a bad thing. Very atmospheric.
Clou: Where Runegutt123’s photo is good because of the mystery of it all, Clou’s is good for the clarity. Another photo that shows the true beauty of trees. I love the moon nestled between the parallel branches. Lovely photo. Lovely colors. Really like this one!
Bramela: Who doesn’t love tree reflections? And this is a good example. Is the horizon slopping slight down on the right? Maybe it’s just me.
Checking…jono: I like the subject, seems a bit washed out, but maybe that was the look you were going for. I think I might like it better with the horizontal branch at the top cropped out.
Casil403: This is another “wow” photo. The colors are amazing and I love the composition. I can see why you would go back again and again to take a photo of that tree. Also love the road running off to the distance. Just a really lovely scene and photo well taken.
Civiletti: Gorgeous colors. Makes me want to go to Zion National Park again.
tessfully: Another beautiful photo. This demonstrates why I love photos of trees so much. There is so much beauty I immediately have an emotional response to the photo. And I love the B&W.
lightningthief: For me, these types of photos are all about the color and the feeling of motion. Makes me a bit dizzy! But overall a pleasant photo.
fotogaffer: Love the weathered look of what’s left of the tree and a good use of what looks like pretty much high-noon shooting.
smf: Great shot to get that falling leaf like that. It’s a beautiful still life with just a touch of movement. Nice.
Boker: I think the name of the photo says it all, “after the storm.” Sort of reminds you that even when things get really bad, there’s a blue sky ahead.
NaCIH2O: Here’s what I think about this photo… wait for it… I love it! I’m a huge sucker for shadows and trees and this one is amazing. I’m sure as soon as you took that one, you thought, “Got it!”
Jools: Absolutely amazing colors. I just wish the background wasn’t quite so cluttered – is that a playground in the background? But makes me want to try infrared photography.
Trig: Another of my favorite ways to take photos of trees and this one is exceedingly well done. Finding that one tree to focus on for the middle of the frame – excellent! And the colors, and the light focused on the one side. I just want to stare at this for an hour or so.
Couliseaux: Love it! What makes this for me is that one prominent daisy. Well done!
Syed Pasha: Another photo that really sets a mood. I’m not 100% sold on the processing but I find myself drawn toward the photo.
Fs999: Nice to see some palm trees in the mix and what a photo! I really admire how you were able to see that boat tied up like that and be able to interpret what you saw into this amazing photo.
Cajun0518: Where was this taken? I like the darkness of the trees and the brightness of the clearing and that one little prominent tree in the clearing.
Daw80: A unique way to show just how big these trees are when you compare the man taking the photo to the size of the tree.
jmschrei: Another lovely photo of a tree in snow. I love the light through the fence and the pattern of the snow. Mother Nature set the scene but you knew how to bring out the beauty in the photo. Well done.
sandpipe: I think these types of photos of trees are really difficult to pull off. Interesting subject.
normhead: Great contrast between the black fence and the snow. I like how the horizon seems to disappear into fog.
Bill2849: Is that tree in the front an art project? It’s a little hard to tell.
noelcmn: Striking photo.
Graham V: Beautiful photo. Wish I could see it larger – even the flickr photo is probably not doing it justice. Love the look. Love how the clouds add to the photo.
Nick Nero: Interesting scene. I wonder what it would look like with a wide angle lens.
ramseybuckeye: Wow… again. Another stunning photo. Where do I begin? Some people don’t like blown out suns, but that doesn’t bother me at all. The composition lets the trees take center stage. Beautiful.
RM Barker: This photo makes me want to go to Calabogie Lake.

Attached Images

Views: 2,037
07-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful competition, great judging (thank you for the nice comments!), amazing entries!! Congrats to all the placeholders and to Joe for a wonderful image.

07-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to Joe and all the runner's up. And a special thanks to Sealonsf for a great theme and most excellent judging. Well Done everyone!

NaCl(the talent collected here is amazing)H2O
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Joe and well done to sealonsf for the topic and judging
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Joe! Very good! Good job Sealons, I don't know how you got it down to 7!

07-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Congratulations!

Beautiful! Well done.
07-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks ro sealonsf for judging. This was a difficult one and I did not envy you for this task.

Congratulations to jmschrei - ecxellent shot!

Congratulations to ALL for these great photos!
Thanks for to sealonsf for choosing me among the top 7.

Given the number of weekly challenges and the quality of the entries - what about an album section dedicated to these challenges?

Michael

Last edited by Clou; 07-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.