Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners #214 - Physical Strain
Posted By: Rense, 08-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Winners Weekly Challenge #214 - Physical Strain

First of all I have to say I love the entries of this week: they all fit the bill, and there are many, many photos deserving to be first. Going through such a set of photos is just a joy, and I laughed, smiled, looked better, and enjoyed above all. So, thank you all for joining and submitting. My judgement is, as always, very subjective, although I tried to make more objective considerations too, about aesthetics, composition, lighting and other technical photographic things. In the end, it all comes to the question: which photo speaks to my heart? That is what art is, and that is how I wanted to judge this one.

So, please don't feel underrated, or misunderstood, again, it's a rather subjective choice!

I will say some short comments about all entries in order of appearance, before I choose the winner. Here we go....

Iris: Great photo, with a very nice PoV (I guess you had no choice ) and a very good conversion. For me, the man's gripe is strenuous for sure, since I suffer vertigo a little, as you know of course. A photo with tension, I love it!

Rune: Wonderful! I love how the subject fills the frame, and not seeing his sheet of paper makes this one more than just a snap. More psychological/mental strain than physical, but you whipped this argument away with your title/comment...

Bruce: You knew I had to work in the garden this weekend! I can feel the hard work. Nice shot, but I would have loved to see the faces of all the workers.

Susan: Very funny, and great photo in the same time. Good colours, nice pose... I can't wait to throw a bucket of cold water of that dirty, smelly guy! Nice job, good choice!

Kyle: Classical - in more than one sense - sport photo! Good photo, the more enjoyable because the stone resembles the head of the man... I hope HE knows the difference!

Graham: Beautiful photo, with nice light and a good compo. The little movement in his feet adds to the photo in this case. Excellent!

Tamia: Pffff, heavy! Very good fitting, and nice photo. I love the backlight, it makes the job look even harder. One wonders why you should punish yourself in this way.... Good one!

Lisa: Wow, nice shot, great timing! Like the man (?) hanging in nothing.... Full of action and nice colours!

Lukulele: Well, I knew where to go! Away, at least! Very nice, this one made me laugh... He - the blue one - looks surprised he's being attacked. His opponents looks so angry and ferocious.... Very good!

Tim: Very, very nice one. Love the timing, as well as the concentration on his face. Could use a bit more light (imo), but it's a great photo!

Vylen: Haha, great one, with a great PoV. It exaggerates the size of your feet....Would have loved to see your face though!

Mr. Salt-Sour: I love this photo, and especially the expression on the girl's face. She looks fanatic, and lovely at the same time. Very, very nice!!
Dave: This is so funny! At first the photo looks a bit clumsy, but if you look a bit better, it's so humorous... This is not timeable, it's pure luck you shot it in this way, but still, I laughed out loud. Very nice, sir!

Sealonsf: Another funny one! Great timing, again, and, given the situation, a nice composition.

Kevin: Lovely shot, great conversion, and his expression makes this photo. He sure looks determined!

David: Very nice! Good composition, lighting and colour, and fitting the bill quite well (at least as far as the father (???) is concerned). If only I could fly this way.... This one brings up some emotional feelings, so I think it's a good one eh?

Bill: Music relaxing? Who says so! You can see the joy, as well as the effort put in. Very lovely photo, which would have even be better without the monitor (I guess) in the lower left corner and the oof leg in the lower right one. But all in all very attractive.

Oh, and yes, I saw he plays two saxs, but not a sax player myself I admire those who play even only one, so I can't judge the strain of playing two....

Fotogaffer: Another one depicting hard work (for joy, I guess). Makes me feel longing for vacation (and I am just back only a few weeks....). Nice, with an appropriate PoV. Would give it a bit more contrast myself, but I like it the way it is.

RJB: WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT GUY? DID HE SURVIVE?

Very nice photo, with lots to see. Good timing, nice colours! And the expression of the hunter, as well as the prey.... Sorry, can't see this photo in another way. Excellent, and very funny again, made me laugh!

Noel: So hot! I love the tiny man in the endless landscape.... It evokes the physical strain very well, I can almost feel it...

Tom: It must be strenuous hanging above that kettle a whole day! Makes you hungry... or sick! Good interpretation, but could use some light, IMO....

Charlie: I love this shot. It looks very clean, with all that machinery, but in the same time there is that little girl.... Good job!

Okay, that brings me to the task of pointing a winner. First some

Honourable Mentions
Iris, Rune, and Charlie

Then the first three:

Third place: Dave

Second: NaClH2O

And the winner: RJB

Congrats all, and thank you for joining! It was a great pleasure. ArjayBee, I'm looking forward to a new challenge!
Views: 1,317
08-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Rense for a great challenge, excellent judging and taking the time to comment on each photo individually. Congrats to Arjay Bee on winning and also to NaClH2O and daacon for second and third place. Thanks to everyone for posting some excellent photos. It's always interesting and educational to see how different the interpretations on the same theme are. Thanks again.
08-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulation to Arjay, Salty, and Dave. Arjay, that's a great rugby shot! Well done Rense!
08-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 to Fotogaffer's comments on all counts!

Thanks.

Bill

08-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to arjay for a wonderful photo. Also to Dave and Salty and the runners up for some really great shots. Rense, a lovely job from picking the subject to commenting on each photo to picking a winner. Well done.
08-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well done on the judging it was a fun one! Congrats to arjay I had that one picked as #1 as well soon as I saw it. Thanks for 3rd place in the event arjay and Salty cannot serve their term I am ready haha.
08-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
COngratulations ArjayB, cracking shot. And too, to NiChO2. and Dave. And Iris, Rune and Charlie. Thanks Rense for judging what has been a really good challenge, with interesting and varied entries. Tough challenge. Now to see what ArjayB has in store for us.

08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kudos to Arjay, Salty, and Dave. Thanks, Rense, for an unusual subject and also for taking time to comment on everyone's shots. A terrific selection of interpretations.
08-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi Rense and colleagues,
That is an honour being chosed with such an interesting field of entrants - I liked the kendo shot in particular with such good light and expressions. Thank you for the gong and well done on the topic and the judging, Rense. Will have a new one up later in the day.
08-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all congrats to arjay. I too, said "Bingo!" when I saw the shot. A superb interpretation of the theme. Congrats also to the HM's and also to Dave. I have to agree with Rense in that it is a funny funny shot. And a special thank you to Rense for an excellent theme and wonderful judging and nice cogent comments.

NaCl(of course the judging was great! I got second!)H2O