Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#215 Daily Grind Results
Posted By: Arjay Bee, 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM

Nineteen shots this week - well done everyone for showing your personal grind and your concepts of how that grind could be depicted. As always these are my and my wife's opinions and were considered over the period of the competition. A major consideration in the judging was how ground down I as viewer was left feeling after surveying the image separate from any captions.

daacon - coffee pot - good tight focus on the pot - can almost smell the coffee - I like the pun on daily grind
sealonsf - station plaza - black and white treatment is appropriate, point of view gives feeling of rush hour and shot taken on the move, good combination of oof and blur and sharp stillness of newspaper reader
Bramela - work boots - tight focus and colour against concrete - hard yakka coming up. A pair of worn/dirty socks would have added to the feeling of grind for me
SpecialK - intersection - the daily commute ties us all in to the shared metropolitan experience however not the emotiveness of the grind present here.
jheu02 - mower in grass - excellent treatment using differential focus and very low point of view - colourful bugs eye view of what is about to be ground up
Tamia - chain cleaner - a yukky job well presented- could be from an instruction manual, good colours and tight focus
Vigilr - shopping trolly - Simple image with good b/w rendering - could have been drolled up with a few shopping items to increase the drudge factor
slowpez - cheese grater - interesting blue toning and contrast bringing out textures and patterns. - falling cheese particles, nicely framed - interesting image
atupdate - bike park - three images in one, technically well done with implied pun on the grind of axles and pedals on concrete - seems like too much fun to be real drudgery however.
Boker - lawn mowing -use of negative space to indicate the job yet ahead and the contrast of colours and movement were good compositional choices - a memorable image
mde1970 - keyboard and screen - technically flawless use of backlighting, limited colour palette, depth of field choice but not a grind - good neutral stock photo that needed a half eaten pizza, grubby coffee cup and daily clutter
lukulele - grad gathering - a lot of joy here at the end of a period of 185 days - for me needs the explanation to indicate context to match the theme
NaClH20 - Train Yards - Mist/fog, muddy colour palette, bowed shoulders of the workers, general grittiness - this day is going to be a grind indeed
Casil403 - Car Crusher - A truly literal grind, the b/w treatment looks great with the steam or fumes drifting around to add to the image
Charlie Zap - Fridge Open - A colourful upbeat shot with the eyes moving out the door into the bright and airy room beyond - seems like a nice place to be really
noelcmn - dish rack - the real drudgery with an interestingly lit limited colour palette - detergent and cherries providing a nice contrast to the naturally black and white scene - another memorable shot
jmschrei - snowy highway - lowering skies, weak light, headlights, snowy verge, and transmission lines, a very bleak scene that brings on feelings of appreciation for viewers own warm indoor environment
glennbp - Hope Rock - while the sentiments expressed are appreciated the image doesn't speak grind to the viewer without the support of the text. Framing differently to better indicate context could have worked better such as including buildings or functionaries that would signal hospitals or similar.
Codazzle - helicopter pilot - interesting warm morning/evening light and the out of focus aircraft providing context - looks to me to be an interesting job so can appreciate the upside of what is represented as a daily routine for the photorapher -

Honorary Mentions:
Bramela, Noelcmn, Sealonsf

Third place
Boker

Second Place
jmschrei

First place
NaCLH2O

Okay Salty - your turn next....
Views: 1,319
08-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Salty! That is a fantastic moody shot! Congrats also to Boker, Bramela, Noelcmn and Sealonsf. Thanks for a great challenge theme ArjayBee, your comments on everyone's entry and the second place.
08-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations NaCIH20, liked that image from the start. Those guys don't exactly look like are excited about getting to the job. Great image. Ok, now to see what oxygenated contest you are going to breathe on us.

Congrats to Jmschrei and Boker too and thanks for the HM. Good judging and very fair comments from you- that's the two of you Arjay Bee. Fun contest it was too, and made you think about the stuff you take as being neccessary anyway!
08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Salty and all the HM's and first and second runner up. It was a good challenge and thanks ArjayBee for the judging and comments on all the shots. Glad you got the pun on the daily grind. ha! .

08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well done, Dave and congrats to the winners. I picked that winner as soon as it appeared.
And the dirty socks, Dave? I agree, never thought of that. Thanks.
08-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a difficult job RJ but you came through and picked some great winners. Thanks for taking the time to comment on each one. Salty, one heck of a photo. Well done. Congrats to Joe, boker and the HMs. Well done everyone.
08-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Thanks Arjay! Congrats to all the other winners! I'm a bit amazed I never expected to win. A special thanks to Arjay for the judging :P

NaCl(will post a new contest theme soon!)H2O

08-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Salty! Congrats to you and to the other winners, too. And thanks for the contest and for your thoughtful comments, Arjay. Great theme and a fun project.