Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge #45 - Advertising/Product Shot
Posted By: khardur, 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM

I thought about it quite a bit today trying to think of a somewhat original challenge, as there's nearly a year's worth of challenges. Anyway, I'm not big on words most of the times, so here it is:

The challenge:
I want to see product shots. You know, like the ones you see on covers of magazines or advertisements. I want you to challenge yourself and envision you're doing a shot for an ad agency for whatever product your showing. Show off the good side, make sure it's lit nicely, make it attractive to me, "the consumer."

I don't want to put any limitations on it, you could take a picture of a car if you really wanted to - but I want you to try making a snappy presentation out of it. (that means PP is allowed for sure, you could even incorporate text or logos if you really wanted to go crazy)
Many images come to my mind when I think about the shots I want to see - pick up any camera magazine and you see shots of camera equipment on the front - think of a beer advertisement, things like that. Just make it clear (by the photograph) what product you're "selling" and try to get creative in the presentation.

The contest will run until Midnight on Wednesday, February 6.

The rules are as always:

The rules:
1. Post ONE photo (max 800x800) as a response to THIS post.
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme. It can be colour or B&W, your choice.
3. You can offer as much or as little additional information as you wish, but I'd be interested to know the location/event/whatever being depicted.
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and chose 1 of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. The challenge runs for 7 days plus a day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any camera will do but it must be a Pentax. Just use any camera you want. No discriminating anyone as long as the shooter is an active member here.

Previous Challenge Subjects:
1-Statues, 2-Wheels, 3-Speed, 4-Peace, 5-Survival, 6-Macro, 7-Mountains, 8-Children, 9-Post Processing, 10- Windows & Doors, 11-Sport, 12-Urban Landscape, 13-Wisdom, 14-Power, 15-Music, 16-Pathways, 17-Lines, 18-Storm, 19-Boats, 20-Water, 21 - Golden Hour, 22 - Natural Lighting, Portraits, 23- Motion Blur, 24-Simplicity, 25-Color, 26-Cars, 27-Repetition, 28-Wildlife, 29-Epiphany, 30-Contrast, 31-Pets, 32-Landscapes, 33-Coastal, 34-Churches, 35-Bridges, 36-Creation, 37-Still LIfe: Food, 38-At the Zoo, 39-Wide Aperture, 40-Merry Christmas, 41- Sunsets, 42-Action, 43-Fireworks, 44-Manipulated Light Portraits

Good luck everyone!

edit>> so here's a quick and dirty tutorial on how to make an easy light tent.
I used a cardboard box, this one was quite a sturdy one, it had 2 layers of cardboard. I cut out 3 sides, leaving all the edges intact. Then I simply taped standard white paper over the left and right side to diffuse the flash, and left the front side open to shoot through. I then lined the inside with paper, and I was ready to go. I think it took a grand total of 5 minutes to make.
here's the setup:

(yes those are my son's cars inside - he wanted to take pictures with my camera - and of the first 10 words he can read on his own one of them is PENTAX *tears filling eyes* that's my boy! LOL.

Here's the results:

Again, this is just an idea to throw out, for those who might not have tried such things before. Give it a go!

Last edited by khardur; 02-01-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added a tutorial
Views: 7,368
02-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good one M80, my wife and I really enjoyed that one,gave us a good laugh.

02-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Dan, this will be an easy one. M80 has clearly out done us all and now I understand why my bottled water has little "floaty bits".... might change brands tomorrow.
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
contest is closed - sorry I took so long, I'll be checking out the pictures now... hopefully I'll post winners shortly.
-Dan

ps... holy crap, you guys have made it tough on me. There's some fine, fine pictures in here.

Last edited by khardur; 02-07-2008 at 04:33 PM.
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #34

ebay

I took this one for an ebay sell

02-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #35
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Dan, this will be an easy one. M80 has clearly out done us all and now I understand why my bottled water has little "floaty bits".... might change brands tomorrow.
lol; wuz only go'n for a laugh to lighten the miserable state I was in last night, not to compete. Really great entries here. Quality photography...

We once had lots'a little black snails in a 'no name brand' of water bottles that our coffee supplier would bring. Tthat was pretty much the last straw and I finally got my way and they got us Poland Springs.
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Before the winners post disapears in the mist, I thought I'd link the threads for all to see:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/20307-weekly-challenge-45-winners.html
02-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

been pretty busy so didn't get in on this, but thought i'd share anyway.

Closed Thread