Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Heavy industry: Winners
Posted By: TenZ.NL, 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Well...this is it, the winners of the weekly challenge "Heavy industry"
It`s allways difficult to judge so many good pictures at the same time in such a short span of time. First I`ve tried to hightlight some of the things I liked about a picture and then let my feelings decide which ones I like the most and why.
I must say it was not an easy job, everyone made a good entry in my POV and some of the winners and HM`s were very close to eachother.

Here are my thought and comments on the entries:

Slowpez: Nice long exposure and thoughtfull composition. My eyes are litterly guided into the frame.

Bramela: Powerfull B&W, I like the cropping. Interesting picture with nice greytones. It has a sense of drama/danger.

Daacon: Man vs nature, this is a storyteller. Lovely colors and good depth. Indeed it really makes one wonder HTH it got up there.

Sealonsf: Strong vertical lines combined with a nice structure and details

Tamia: Wow...dazzling PoV! This one really pulls you up in the sky and than make you fear for that chimney to come falling on your head.

SpecialK: Really busy picture but without getting choatic. I love all the diagonals, nicely framed.

Charlyzap: A well defined landscape picture. Good composition, nice for- and backgrond and lovely reflections.

Rense: Also a powerfull B&W, allthough quite different. Great light, detail and ambiance.

Atupdate: This could be an old filmshot from back in the days, if printed on old and worn paper, people might think it`s genuine. Nice diagonal.

Ray Allen: Lovely soft light and nice details, it makes you look longer than usual.

Arjay Bee: Nice PoV and colors, If this was fullscreen I`d be afraid to get run over

Casil403: Another great B&W, great dramatic actionshot. That sky looks allmost like marble.

Lukulele: Great colors, composition and diagonal, the repeating elements do very well here. Also the beams in the foreground seem to point to the subject.

GlennBP: That are some power(full) lines My eyes are really dragged into the distance. Good choice of weather too.

Audiobomber: Yes, the colors and the dead trees do contribute to the image. The chimney gets the attention and then one tries to scan through the foreground for details. Very nice.

Scaton: Nice abstract shot, good colors too. Btw: What kind of reward is a red ribbon?

Noelcmn: Excellent composition and great colors. Great light also! Allthough that shovel looks tiny, it does stand out immidiately.

Bill2849: Strong vertical cut out, nice light on the chimney. Looks good for iso6400

Ramseybuckeye: Great moment! It made me laugh cause it also looks like that plane is evading the crane at the very last moment.

NaClH2O: Nice capture, the direction of the tracks gives me a sense of incoming at first, then they lead the eye back to the early moningcolors in the background. I also love the starburst.

Fotogaffer: Great LE, nice lights and colortones. Also the movement of the clouds/vapor is well captured.

Tada dada tada...(insert trumpetsound)... the ranking:

The HM`s:
Casil403 (best action), Fotogaffer (best LE), Ramseybuckeye (best moment), Daacon (best story), Atupdate (best retro)

3th: Charlyzap
Like I said, a well defined and toughfully composed capture. Nice colors and reflections and great lighting.

2nd: Noelcmn
This is a great shot: lightning, placement of the the elements and colors are excellent.

1st: Rense
Simply superb, B&W was the perfect choice for this one. Gorgeous greytones and beautiful contrast combined with the lightfall and a clearly deliberate composition makes your picture the winner for me.

Once again, thank you all for particapating, it was a hard job but nice to do and very inspiring as well!
Looking forward to the next challenge!
Kind regards Jacco.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 09-13-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Views: 1,398
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks TenZ.NL for coming up with this thread and your excellent judging. Congratulations to Rense on winning and on such a great shot - well deserved win - I liked that photo as well! Congrats to Noelcmn and charliezap on their 2nd and 3rd place finishes and to all the other HMs. Thanks for your comments on all the photos and the HM on mine, truly appreciated.
09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to Rense. And a red ribbon means it won second in the category. Also means I won $20 (cost $8 to enter).
09-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great job of judging TenZ with thoughtful comments on each submission. Congrats to all the runner-ups and to Charlie and Noel.. Rense, that was one heck of a photo and looked like a winner from the first moment I saw it.

09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats to Rense and much appreciated comments on every image. I don't know how you mange to do that with so many entries.

Tim
09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could'nt agree more with your choice of winner here-that is one awesome pic there Rense, so a hearty congratulations, simply SUPER! Thanks for the 2nd place TenZ.NL, and congratulations are in order too for Charliezap, Casil403, fotogaffer, Ramseybuckeye, Daacon and Atupdate. Thanks for a great challenge, excellent judging and for taking the time out for comments TenZ. NL. I must confess that these challenges (weekly and monthly) are excellent help and inspiration to better photography. So a thank you too all the entrants-you challenge and inspire me!
09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I loved Rense's shot as soon as I saw it! Well chosen, a great topic and congrats everyone who entered!

09-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
And a red ribbon means it won second in the category. Also means I won $20 (cost $8 to enter).
Thanks for the clarification, that must have been a nice headsup?
09-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, Jacco, thank you very much for the first! Very unexpected, for me.....
Noel and Charlie congrats with second and third, and everyone who entered.

Have to think a new theme.....hmmmmm....... you'll be hearing from me......
09-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #10

Congrats Noel, Charlie and Rense!
What a shot Rense, well deserved
09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another great job of judging , thanks for the HM some really good shots in this one congrats to all , the HM's and Noel and Charlie specifically and of course our winner Rense !
09-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats to Rense.I'm looking forward to see what he has up his sleeve when he picks the new topic.--charliezap
09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rense, Noel, and Charlyzap! Resnse, that is a great photo, well composed and lots of detail! TenZ.NL thanks for the contest, the HM, and good job.

QuoteOriginally posted by scatron Quote
Congrats to Rense. And a red ribbon means it won second in the category. Also means I won $20 (cost $8 to enter).
You are in the plus anyway. At our county fair to enter the photo contest you had to buy a $30 membership, then you could enter up to 12 photos (several categories). Anyway I had 11 entries, 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth and I won $23. Actually the membership got me into the fair three times so I made out OK, it was fun.
09-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the excellent contest and judging comments, Jacco. Congratulations Rense, Noel, and Charley for worthy wins, and the the HMs, too. Outstanding examples of heavy industry, and an inspired theme. Looking forward to what you come up with, Rense!
09-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Rense, Noelcmn, CharlyZap and all the HM's a special thank you to TenZ.NL for the great theme and all the work judging. It's not easy, believe me I know.

NaCl(looking forward to the next contest)H2O