Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners Weekly Challenge #46 B&W Street Shooting, people/buildings
Posted By: Peter Zack, 02-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Well this was tough. I'm going to post this somewhat differently because I have very little server space here and I don't like deleting the files a month or 2 from now in case someone wants to review the contest.

So the honourable mentions are here:
Islandviewsphoto - PF Contest Honourable mentions

And the winners are here.
Islandviewsphoto - Challenge 46 winners

Sorry to use outside links but As I said space is running low.

The original contest is here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/20344-weekly-challe...ildings-5.html
Views: 7,027
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tie for second place - totally unexpected - there were so many amazing shots for this challenge - congrats to all the honourable mentions and place holders!
The graffiti of the head and luv ur hair where added - this was a shot that truly inspired me, (I am new to the world of photoshop so it was great to use those skills as well)
02-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well it would seem that posting the winners this way is not attracting any attention. Seems like the forum has been turned into a big classified ad the last few days with so much gear for sale.

So here are my comments and the winners. You have to check the link for the Honourable mentions above as I don't have the space to display them

OK theres no 3rd place here. I'm saying these 2 were tied for runner up.
xs400
Name:  11-full.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  72.6 KB

Great shot and very symmetrical. Perfect balance in the shot. Great sky and perfect conversion. Only little nit pick here is the railings on the front edge. Both have dark spots or shadows. i would have stepped forward or cropped out about 2 feet of the railings. All the remaining railings are the same and draw you into the figure in the distance.
schmikey
Name:  2-full.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  59.0 KB

Love this shot. The hair against the graffiti that mimics the subject in silhouette. The " Luv ur hair" slogan. If this was a set up and the graffiti was drawn for the shot, well done. If it was by happenstance, then well seen. Only thing I would have liked was to eliminate the vertical shadow on the left by a different shooting angle if possible or a crop.

So the winner is (and may be a surprise to some) Dave.

I really liked the motion blur. The slightly tilted shooting angle. The driver's visible Derby hat. Very nice light and B&W conversion. I like the space in front of the horse, showing his path. What does it for me is that there were no cars captured that are clearly visible. Yes there's one on the right but it's so blurred that you can't really tell. You could crop that side out anyway if you wanted to. It could have been shot today or 100 years ago.
daacon
Name:  1-full.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  57.7 KB

Good job Dave and you have the next challenge!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-17-2008 at 06:36 PM.
02-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Peter - just use the quote button to quaote the winners and see their links, then just reuse their links.

02-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I thought of that as well Arpe. But if they run out of space, they may want to delete the shots as well. The outside links have unlimited time and space so I can leave them there forever.
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A great challenge, have enjoyed all the shots. Thanks for the HM Peter and my congratulations to Dave (he knew his ass was best ) and the tie holders.
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well it would seem that posting the winners this way is not attracting any attention. Seems like the forum has been turned into a big classified ad the last few days with so much gear for sale.
lol ... I would have followed the links and comented, but the down-side of shooting RAW only is you're then a slave to post processing so was away for the afternoon... (more doggie shots to come as the result.)
I like that site of yours and the format.

Thanx for the honorable mention. I agree with your comment on mine and did think "I like it but busy" to myself at 1st glance and obviously nonw I wasn't alone. I actually reduced the brights a little bit but I agree not enough.

Congrats to all the players and winners! I especially liked yours schmikey.

Last edited by m8o; 02-17-2008 at 06:48 PM.
02-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #8

Congrats to all on this contest. There were some great shots submitted and I enjoyed looking at them. Now I have to learn how to do that conversion...
02-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #9

Congrats to all the winners! I feel honoured for the mention
02-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #10

Wow, thanks for the mention! I found the comment on my pic to crop off the top part (because of the distracting lights) to be helpful.

Personally, my favorite photo in the winners bracket is the photo of the bridge. The person in the photo with the graffiti kind of reminds me of Robert Smith from The Cure

All in all, great shots everyone!
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well done everyone... guess my shot wasnt up to scratch .. doh!! hehe
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well done, Dave. Welldone, all entrants. Some great shots.
02-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm honored to have been chosen as a runner up. Many thanks. The competition was all top notch.

And congrats to Dave, the winner. Well done.
02-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Peter, great choices. All shots have something to learn from. Really great contest in deed.
02-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #15

If anyone is interested, I 'created' a short 'animated' video of the picture that I entered in this weekly challenge,

click on the following link...YouTube - I Like Your Hair - The Remix

I've been amazed at how my photographs have taken me into other directions..