Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winner - Weekly Challenge #228
Posted By: atupdate, 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM

I was extremely pleased with the variety of subjects entered in this challenge. Everyone did a great job and I'm glad you took the time to enter.

SpecialK: I've never seen a fisheye view of Grauman's Chinese theatre. Too bad that Superman couldn't get all the tourist out of your shot.

Dave (mdave13): A very unique angle for a theatre shot. Most performance shots are from below the stage. I really like the angle and stage lighting. My only complaint is that it looks like it could use a little sharpening. I’m not sure if this personal choice, a factor of your website reducing a larger image, or not applying a little sharpening after reducing the size of the image (images often go a little soft when downsized).

Tsukiouji: I assume this was taken shortly after the performance ended. I love the chaos behind the girl with the motion blur adding to the chaos. Too bad she had to give you that “you aren’t really going to take my picture now” look instead of staying in character.

Lukulele: This has to be one of the toughest lighting situations found in the theatre, blue light and white spot. It is very tough to get your camera to capture the blue lighted area and not blowout something in the white spot. You did a very nice job handling both.

smf: I never expected to see an carved ice theatre mask icon. Very nice work keeping the light from reflecting on the carved faces.

Tess: I glad this was “staged” and not a street shot. The black and white conversion is perfect for this image and the lighting is very dramatic. Very well executed.

tsakatsaka: You can never go wrong entering a picture with very cute kids in it. You did a nice job picking a strong photographic perspective.

NaClH2O: Salty, great action shot. It’s a shame they had to have the area strapped off for safety purposes but I’m glad we didn’t see a story in the newspaper about a Pentax photographer getting sliced and diced.

alelynh: I like the negative space on the left a lot. It really conveys the separation between the performer and the audience. The angle of your shot produced a more dramatic lighting that if you had shot from straight on. Nicely done.

Khashoggi: This looks like it was a very tough shot to get, low light on a huge stage. It looked like it was a fun show to watch. I don’t mind the high ISO noise (I can’t count the number of high ISO shots I have like this) but I would have like to see it a little bit sharper. I’ve had some luck shooting at high ISO and low shutter speed by using a monopod while sitting in the cheap seats. The Wizard of Oz shot in my examples is one of them (DA50-200 lens @ 125mm, ISO 3200, 1/45 sec with monopod).

Jools: My hometown has a Temple Theatre also but the marquee is about twice the size of yours. Well spotted and it brought back several memories for me of watching movies at the Temple.

As per the rules, I have to choose a winner to host the next challenge. Half of the shots entered were worthy of being the winner of this challenge. But since I can only choose one.....

The winner is alelynh

Congratulations on a great image and again, thanks to everyone for entering.

Tim
Views: 1,252
01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for judging Tim, nice job!
01-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Good choice Tim. Thanks for judging and for the comments on a most interesting theme.
Congrats to alelynh for a strong image and to all who participated.
01-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Tim! Awesome Challenge great results Congrats alelynh -- Super good image!!

01-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats to alelynh, what an arresting image! And thanks to Tim for a great challenge topic and a great job judging.

NaCl(looking forward to the next theme)H2O
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, alelynh.
Applause to all.
Thanks for the judging and comments, Tim.
01-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments Tim and for this great theme. Congrats alelynh

01-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Thank you Tim! Everyone else had such great entries