Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS P52-5-9 Composition/Perspective — Low Angle Shot
Posted By: Tamia, 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Firstly, thanks to all of you who entered this contest, and to Tsukiouji for moderating P52 this year and for coming up with this challenge.

Low-angle perspective shooting is a favorite of mine. Everyone's photos fit the theme of Low Angle Perspective wonderfully well. The best kind of low-angle perspective photo, to my mind, forces me to look at something from an angle I might not normally assume, giving a fresh point of view from an unusual position.

I enjoyed the diversity of pictures, and because they're all so good, picking a winner is a challenge in itself. But it has to be done, so here goes, beginning with comments on each in order of submission:

Bruce/Bramela: A captivating photo, very well composed and exposed, with a perspective we'd get only if we got down on our bellies. I still have not made up my mind whether the wheel is weathered wood or stone, and only adds to the rich character of this picture. I love the textures and colors. The green foliage contrasts nicely with the solid weightiness of the main subject. Cropping the image so the wheel fills most of the frame works really well here. Great job.

Doug/Douge: The rails' bold colors combined with the low angle looking toward the equally bold sky make for a strong photo. The exposure is spot on, and the largely centered composition is not static, given all the asymmetrical playground equipment's curves, lines, and geometric shapes. Well done! Oh, and I enjoyed your snowstorm gallery, too!

Tess/Tessfully: I was pleased to see you had a chance to shoot for this P52, since your excellent choice of topic for the Weekly Challenge brought in so many super pictures to judge. And I'm never disappointed with your entries, either. The vertical format suits your subject, a favorite of mine -- trees. By including conifers and deciduous trees in one frame, and by including just the right amount of sky, you have composed a photo that not only fits the bill for this topic, but also makes for a relaxing and pleasing view of the forest canopy. Super job.

Joe/jmschrei: More trees! Love it. You've made great use of that fish-eye lens of yours. By including a little bit of the ground and by your choice of tree (aspens, I presume), with their horizontal lenticels encircling the trunks, the low-looking-up perspective is well depicted. Here, too, the deep blue sky contrasts wonderfully with the light trunks and network of branches. Another excellent photo. (As a side note, I've been really enjoying your fish-eye photos and you've encouraged me to add the lens to my wish list.)

Noel/Noelcmn: The choice of a wide focal length and a low position meet this challenge very well indeed, and though the subject is partially sunlit, the exposure is great. The low angle perspective emphasizes the ceremony, and imparts a sense of this being uplifting as well as one deserving respect. A very appealing photo of a joyous celebration in what is in my experience a unique setting. Nicely conceived and well executed.

Tsukiouji: An unusual portrait of a beautiful lady with a pleased -- and pleasing -- expression on her face, despite her sitting on a snowy park bench while it's snowing, with beads of water on her hair and snow collecting on her ruff. She's obviously contented and delighted with what she's experiencing and seeing. I love the colors and setting here, and your perspective. I find myself going back to look again and wonder what the lady's thinking about, and what it is that's making her happy. Is it the weather? Or something else? And what is outside the frame. Very well done.

Well, now the hard part, and it wasn't at all easy:

Third Place: Joe

Second Place: Bruce

First Place and Next Challenge's Judge: Tsukiouji

Thanks again, everyone!
Views: 1,167
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Tamia Great feedback on everyone's photos. (Glad you enjoyed the snow storm shots )

Congratulations Tsukiouji! Well done everyone.
02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely adore the winning shot! Congratulations Tsukiouji! And congrats Bruce and Joe for finishing in the top three. Well done Tamia, thank you for your nice comments and for judging.
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tsukiouji, that is indeed a fabulous shot. I like the warmth that it evokes, despite the cold setting. Great stuff. Congrats too to Joe and Bruce for their places. Thanks Tamia for judging. Valuable and appreciated comments.

02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for judging this one Tamia! Congrats to Tsukiouji and Bruce for first and second and thanks for the nod for third. The 10-17 fish-eye is a surprisingly versatile lens and I suspect you would have so much fun with it in the woods. Depending on how you compose the shot, distortion can be minimized or exaggerated and the close focus range is very small so you can really get some great close ups.