Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Winner Weekly #233 The Dark Side
Posted By: Dr Orloff, 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM

This is my first judging here. I'm not sure what the usual expectations are so I hope I set the right tone. Thanks for all the entries and for making my task so difficult. There were a lot of entries, a diverse interpretation of the theme and the standard was very high indeed. I've hosted a few comps on other forums but very few where the decision has been so tough. These are my thoughts, not right or wrong opinions just my ones:

Atupdate

A great start. Good subject, good angle and a full range of tones. A really nice study, very well executed.

Arjay Bee

I haven't seen it before. A good dose of creepiness, I like it a lot.

Saltwater

Well done for recording a difficult subject. Interesting. How about a tripod mounted long exposure? Just an idea, could be fun. With the K5 I would confidently go for a higher ISO.

Daacon

Nice and simple and effective. I like the deep blue and the detail on the Moon. I think a crop to retain just the right hand side would work well too, maybe square, worth a try?

Mde1970

The dark look works so well with that subject. I like how it looms out of the shadows. A nice colour palette in this shot. Powerful subject and classy shot.

CSMoore

Nice mood, I like the deep tones. The icy foreground is excellent.

Tamia

In essence just a decaying leaf, but actually an image that speaks much more. Great choice of subject and very well photographed. The equal of your drops on leaf PEG shot imo.

SMF

A good study of textures and tone. I really like the dark tones. Is it an artificial leaf against a real one? Don't know. The focal point is pretty central. No bad thing but have you also considered lopping a bit off the top, say a fifth? Could work.

Bramela

A high contrast, mysterious image. A touch of film noir about the look. The silhouette against the bright highlights is an effect that enhances the feel of the shot and the central placement is a bold statement. I like it. I would give it a twist to the left though.

Sealonsf

Nice splash of colour that you found in the contrail. A simple, effective concept. I think this image needs some noise reduction and there is a dust spot to remove. I think a slice off the left to decentre the plane is worth considering.

Lukulele

I like the way the darkness draws in the eye to the attractive rhododendron and I like the dark greens of the leaves. I think a square crop with the flower central might match the bold statement of light and dark.

Arnold

Really good silhouette. It is quite tightly framed and there is no clue as to the context of this shot. No small measure of ambiguity and I like shots that leave you wondering.

Tessfully

It took me a few viewings to work out what this was. Until I noticed the toes. I don't know if this is a setup or a good find. Doesn't matter, either way it has an appealing strangeness and a slight touch of the macabre. I like that.

SpecialK

There is something slightly unsettling about shots of empty streets at night and this is enhanced by the jaunty angle.

Jools

I'm not sure I've seen a photograph of a brussel sprout before, certainly not from this angle. A brussel sprout doing an impression of a gas mask. It reminds me of an alien from Dr Who. You probably aren't familiar with that but you would know what I mean if you watched it. Good inventiveness.

Charliezap

I haven't seen it before and I do like it. I can't quite work out at this size whether there is some noise or it is the pattern on the nets. Either way the grainy feel adds to the mood. It's like the viewer is waiting for something to arrive.

Clou

It's a good one. I like the dark tones and texture. I'm not sure what it is and I won't say what it reminds me of.

Winona

Only the second Estonian Pentaxian I have come across. A nicely crafted piece of macabre, the doll's gaze straight to the viewer is excellent. One to scare the kids. I do think it could be sharper though (the image not the knife).

Mecrox

A nice grab. I like the idea of the journey into the dark at the edge of frame. The image is open to interpretation and makes you think a bit. The composition is really good the fact you got rumbled I think adds to this. The brighter areas on the stonework and the older lady's face look just a little bright on my monitor.

Fotogaffer

An unusual take on the seasonal study which I rather like with the backdrop of rich autumnal hues and the simple contrast of natural textures.

Stormtech

Simple and effective, a nice sharp silhouette. I do think the image needs a good twist to the left (10 degrees or so) and I would recommend trying a square crop which would cut out the edge of frame bits and pieces, tighten up the area of interest and place the bird on the right hand third.

Douge

It's a good looking black and white and a good composition, the jet of snow is dramatic. I would crop that intrusion on the left edge. In fact cropping the right hand side at the edge of the sbow spray to just lose that house(?) would I think result in an even more effective image.

Jimschrei

A sad story. It look like a nice memorial plaque. This is a good interpretation of the theme and well photographed.

StephenHampshire

A very atmospheric shot, excellent compo. The combination of lighting steam and mist comes together very well. Good lead in lines. Very good sharpness for (probably) handheld. I guess that bright streak is a bit of movement on the torch.

Gareth.lg

Quite an unusual image, always good to see. I like the lighthouse (I think it is) on the hill. I can't quite work out what is dividing the sea, it's quite intriguing. It's a high contrast scene, the highlights are a bit bright for me, it's a personal thing.

Noelcmn

A very good looking chiaroscuro portrait. I really like the glint in the eye. On my monitor the highlight areas on the shirt look just a little bright but easily toned down, not sure about the bright patch on the head though. I think it would benefit from a bit of noise reduction and cloning of three background dots.

Gerbemiester

I don't know of Bill Reid, I shall google. Darkness is used to very good effect in a limited tonal range, it works. The shadowy figure looks quite tortured, Quite a disconcerting and interesting subject. I think a slice of the left might be worth a try.

Ramseybuckeye

A very good subject. The image invites you to look around and eventually you find the greeting on the blackboard. I really like that. I think a return with a tripod would result in a very good image. The contrast is difficult as evidenced by the ca around the window, so this could be a candidate for HDR.

Not at all easy to pick a 123 and given the high standards it really comes down to my preferences of subject and style rather than technical considerations. I'd better decide before I change my mind (again):

1 Mde1970
2 Arjay Bee
3 Tamia

Views: 1,779
02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to the winnners! Thank You for feedback !

02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to mde1970, Arjay Bee, and Tamia
Thanks to Dr. Orloff for judging and for commenting. BTW, not a big Dr. Who fan but I am familiar with the program. Had not thought of my image in that light, but it applies.
Kudos to all. Great selection of images for this theme.